Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 06:27 AM

365 posts, read 215,879 times

Advertisements

And in which sports is it easiest (relatively speaking) to find a paying coaching job?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of making a career change to sports coaching...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 06:45 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Well, there's youth rec soccer up to about U10 or maybe U12; or T-ball and coach pitch baseball/softball. Those sports are always looking for volunteer coaches. Of course you don't get paid for that.

Do you know the sport well enough to coach it? And do you know how to coach it? Those are two very different skill sets.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
And in which sports is it easiest (relatively speaking) to find a paying coaching job?

I would say football. Many great coaches did not play it even above the high school level, yet became students of the game and were very successful.

One other reason for saying football is just the NUMBER of coaches each team needs, even at a higher High School level. In FBS and FCS there is a coach pretty much for every position as well as offensive, defensive, and special teams coordinators.

Your odds of getting a paid position coaching the sport are much higher than any other sport that I can think of.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:47 AM

365 posts, read 215,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I would say football. Many great coaches did not play it even above the high school level, yet became students of the game and were very successful.

One other reason for saying football is just the NUMBER of coaches each team needs, even at a higher High School level. In FBS and FCS there is a coach pretty much for every position as well as offensive, defensive, and special teams coordinators.

Your odds of getting a paid position coaching the sport are much higher than any other sport that I can think of.
How do things stand in the case of hockey (both ice and field)?

Old 05-04-2023, 09:52 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
How do things stand in the case of hockey (both ice and field)?
I know very little about hockey. I LIKE it, but never grew up around it. Even now where I'm at, it's a growing but still a very secondary sport to most others.

I'm sure of one thing, the number of coaches per team is very small compared to football.

Old 05-04-2023, 01:17 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:

This tells me you're looking for a job that will pay you a living wage, not something like an after-work gig.

Any professional sport is out...likewise any college sport. You don't get to pro sport coaching without either a career as an athlete in said sport or with a career as a college coach. Same for college, except they're looking for at least a career as a high school head coach...and only if you're bringing along either a string of high school championships as a head coach or you're bringing the next big high school athlete from your school to said college.

That leaves high school coaching...who are hired in as teachers. If you're really committed to the concept, get into a high school as a full-time teacher, a school with a reputation for one of the sports you're interested in, and then get a gig as an assistant coach there. Plan to put in at least 10 years there. If you get moved up at the high school level to a head coaching gig and if your teams start churning out championships, then you might get noticed by some small college or junior college. Then move up one level, and repeat.

I doubt you'll ever reach pro level, unless you start very young and are very good at it.

Old 05-04-2023, 01:48 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
Basketball...anything after highschool is hard because unless you are extremly talented you have to be tall to go anywhere past highschool.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:39 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
I agree with football. Even if you never played at a high level, you can learn the skills needed to break down film and come up with plays that work against the looks you see the other team show on film. It isn't easy at all, but you don't have to be a great football player to understand how to design offensive plays.

Analytics in sports is another angle. Lots of sports teams are hiring non-sports people who are good at math at statistics to run their analytics departments. Most of those people are not athletes at all, just people good at math and breaking down the sport into component parts that can be statistically analyzed.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:13 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Basketball...anything after highschool is hard because unless you are extremly talented you have to be tall to go anywhere past highschool.
Jeff VanGundy was very good Div 3 player and was a big name coach.

Yep any sport where there is a lot of skill\technique but it's very competitive and so you ALSO have to have extremely high-level physical skills and injuries can deplete that quickly.

Andy Reid, for example, one of the most successful pro coaches barely played in college.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:51 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Per my quick perusing of Jeff Van Gundy's Wikipedia article, he was the son of college basketball coach, played basketball both in high school and in college, graduated college and started his coaching career as a 23 year old high school coach. He did move up into college ranks as a graduate assistant, a path I should have remembered from my days back when.

Andy Reid's Wiki article shows that he was on the BYU football team, didn't play but impressed the coaching staff with his insights into and analysis of the game, and leveraged that into a graduate assistant coaching gig at BYU.

Unfortunately, the OP doesn't seem to have Van Gundy's or Reid's pedigree to qualify even as a graduate assistant coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports