Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2023, 10:46 PM

555 posts, read 348,356 times

Advertisements

Secretariat Wins Triple Crown June 9, 1973

An unbelievable win by 31 lengths ! So exciting ! This was on Wide World of Sports.

It’s important to note that Secretariat American Triple Crown, setting and still holding the fastest time record in all three races. He is considered by most to be the greatest racehorse of all time.

I remember seeing Secretariat on the cover of Time Magazine “Super Horse”

It’s worth watching the movie especially the last five minutes. Such a great recreation, exactly how it was on tv in 1973 !

This beautiful horse is such an inspiration then and now that miracles really do happen !

Thank you Secretariat !

Last edited by bellamax2; 06-09-2023 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 01:07 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Years
Ago…

I watched it “live.”

A “tremendous machine…”

Old 06-12-2023, 01:16 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
I was too young to know what was going on then. But I have watched the video many times...and I get chills every time.

He was truly a Super Horse.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:17 PM

555 posts, read 348,356 times
Great posts !

It’s important to remember this beautiful, incredible horse !

I remember everyone the day of the Triple Crown last race was in front of their TV ! Everyone everywhere was talking about this race and unbelievable win !

When Secretariat retired at the Claiborne Ranch visitors could have their photo taken with him. I wish I knew this then I would have made a special trip to see this beautiful horse ! I have always remember Secretariat and always will.

Secretariat was such a beautiful soul and truly an inspiration to all of us, that miracles do happen.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:32 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
I watched that 1973 Belmont race on TV. I remember it well. I was too young to legally wager money on it, but we did have a "fun bet" in our home for that race: if Secretariat won, Mom and Dad would buy pizza. If any other horse won, Sis and I would buy pizza. As you can surmise, Mom and Dad bought pizza that night. Pizza never tasted so good!

I still remember my Mom yelling, as Secretariat came out of the far turn, "He's winning--and holy hannah, he's going away!" In race-fan-speak, "going away" means "he's increasing his margin of victory." And as we know, he did--to 31 lengths.

As an aside, my selections in last Saturday's Belmont were sound (finishing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th), but I couldn't see that number 3 winning. There was nothing in the Racing Form that indicated number 3 would be anything but an also-ran, and it didn't seem to be among the selections of any of the professionals. But it won anyway. Oh well; that's racing.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:25 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
As an aside, my selections in last Saturday's Belmont were sound (finishing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th), but I couldn't see that number 3 winning. There was nothing in the Racing Form that indicated number 3 would be anything but an also-ran, and it didn't seem to be among the selections of any of the professionals. But it won anyway. Oh well; that's racing.
Same here...Arcangelo was not on my radar, and it was a rather small field. None of my exotics paid.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:19 AM

10,131 posts, read 1,027,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
great posts !

It’s important to remember this beautiful, incredible horse !

I remember everyone the day of the triple crown last race was in front of their tv ! Everyone everywhere was talking about this race and unbelievable win !

Secretariat was such a beautiful soul and truly an inspiration to all of us, that miracles do happen.

a great horse!!

Old 06-18-2023, 09:22 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
I remember what a huge story it was at the time. But in my 20s I had zero interest in or knowledge of horse racing. That came later when they built and opened The Woodlands tracks in Kansas City 1989/90. So sadly both demolished now and replaced by an Amazon Fulfillment Center.

Wish I had a do-over for 1973. Following Secretariat would be on an endless list of things I would do differently.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:23 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
A great resource for more on Secretariat's racing career:

https://www.secretariat.com/past-performances/

Basically, it's his past performances, in proper Daily Racing Form format. If you don't know how to read a past performance line, don't worry. Each line describes one race, and the chart is interactive, so you can click on any line/race, and get a description of the race in plain English. Photos of the program for each race are included too; just click on the program photo in the top left and it will expand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports