Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 06:08 PM

509 posts, read 786,183 times

Advertisements

What do you think - will there ever be another person who plays 2 sports professionally?

If so, which sports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 10:29 PM

17,346 posts, read 15,516,586 times
Define “pro.”
Quite a few hockey players (not just NHL) at some point played some sort of pro soccer. A 4th tier Euro league is still technically pro.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,685 posts, read 81,455,155 times
I was actually thinking about that recently. If Denver Quarterback Russel Wilson continues to deliver a poor performance this coming season, even at age 34 he could probably still end up with a baseball career, helping out some team that needs a second baseman. He did spend two years in the minors (A).
I suspect that playing two pro sports at the same time will never happen again, too much salary money
involved to risk injury while doing the other sport.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:38 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,456,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I was actually thinking about that recently. If Denver Quarterback Russel Wilson continues to deliver a poor performance this coming season, even at age 34 he could probably still end up with a baseball career, helping out some team that needs a second baseman. He did spend two years in the minors (A).
I suspect that playing two pro sports at the same time will never happen again, too much salary money
Yeah plus I think most if not all of the contracts offered by teams in all the major sports today specifically prohibit playing in other sports or for other teams, even during the offseason.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:43 PM

17,652 posts, read 15,346,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yeah plus I think most if not all of the contracts offered by teams in all the major sports today specifically prohibit playing in other sports or for other teams, even during the offseason.

Pretty sure they always have. But, the Raiders wanted Bo so badly, they were willing to let him play half the season. The Royals were.. Apparently amenable to it as well. BUT.. Bo's the example of why they wouldn't allow it now. I'm shocked Deion continued playing baseball after that. I would have thought the NFL team would have prohibited it.

As for Russell Wilson.. No. "A" is a LONG ways from the majors. And at 34, with his skills diminished from lack of use. Tim Tebow 2.0.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:46 PM

15,559 posts, read 7,577,507 times
It is getting to the point that there are not that many 2 sport players at the HS and college levels. With travel baseball, soccer, etc, there's no time, and the coaches want the players to be committed full time.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:57 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,688,776 times
No, I believe those days are long gone now. It will probably be harder to pull that off these days, the primary team will probably have something in the contract against playing another sport while under contract. And injuries seem to be more prominent these days. The situation with Bo Jackson most likely shut that down.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It is getting to the point that there are not that many 2 sport players at the HS and college levels. With travel baseball, soccer, etc, there's no time, and the coaches want the players to be committed full time.

Nah.. There's still quite a few. Sports like football and track, or football and basketball or football and baseball.. You'll still see quite a few. But, by the time they get to college, there's far fewer.. Probably because there's not many that can compete at that level in two sports, plus.. The time constraints.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:20 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,456,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Nah.. There's still quite a few. Sports like football and track, or football and basketball or football and baseball.. You'll still see quite a few. But, by the time they get to college, there's far fewer.. Probably because there's not many that can compete at that level in two sports, plus.. The time constraints.
Agreed. High School there are definitely a lot more multi sport athletes. It actually used to be something coaches would encourage, for example football players would run track or play basketball in the offseason as it kept them in shape, and in some cases off the streets as well. But that drops off rapidly once college hits as the skill level is much higher and that's difficult to attain in one sport never mind two. I understand why it wont happen at the pro level but I wish it did. Bo never attained hall of fame level production in either pro baseball or football, but the fact that he played two sports just elevated him far above his peers.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Agreed. High School there are definitely a lot more multi sport athletes. It actually used to be something coaches would encourage, for example football players would run track or play basketball in the offseason as it kept them in shape, and in some cases off the streets as well. But that drops off rapidly once college hits as the skill level is much higher and that's difficult to attain in one sport never mind two. I understand why it wont happen at the pro level but I wish it did. Bo never attained hall of fame level production in either pro baseball or football, but the fact that he played two sports just elevated him far above his peers.

Bo was on track for a HoF football career. Even if he had stayed part time. Whether he could have kept up that production is questionable.. But.. He was a freak of nature.

He was an excitingly serviceable baseball player. He would do amazing things.. But as an every day player.. He was.. Maybe a bit below average for the time. Today.. He could strike out 200 times, hit 50 homers and have a .200 average and be a starter. See Ryan Howard and Kyle Schwarber.

Now, he was better than that.. Don't take me wrong here. But.. compared to others at the time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports