Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 08:18 PM

11,867 posts, read 8,961,279 times

Advertisements

ESPN is cutting another 20 stars from their lineup, one of several rounds of such cuts.
https://nypost.com/2023/06/30/espn-l...save-millions/

Meanwhile, they are keeping Stephen A. Smith - who can scarcely talk without shouting in outrage, and Pat McAfee - who delivers his show wearing a wifebeater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 09:06 AM

3,141 posts, read 3,091,057 times
I can’t believe they cut Jeff Van Gundy, who I thought was a very good analyst. I also read some of the comments about that article and I agree with the person that said the NBA should just agree to work solely with TNT. I love that crew. Knowledgeable and entertaining. Shaq, Barkley, Kenny The Jet and Ernie Johnson.

Old 07-01-2023, 11:08 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,815,888 times
Please tell me Mark Jackson is next. I had a good portion of the NBA finals on mute (while listening to a podcast) because I couldn't stand Jacksons bland commentary.

ESPN halftime show needs a complete revamp. Jalen Rose was about the only one I didn't mind, & yet they fired him. But their half time show was only about 2 min so I guess that's a plus that we didn't have to listen to more of Wilbon, Greenberg, & Stephen A. Though pre game all they like to talk about are the Lakers, Kyrie, Warriors, & more Lakers, even when none of those teams are playing that night.

Old 07-01-2023, 03:14 PM

4,751 posts, read 3,252,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
ESPN is cutting another 20 stars from their lineup, one of several rounds of such cuts.
https://nypost.com/2023/06/30/espn-l...save-millions/

Meanwhile, they are keeping Stephen A. Smith - who can scarcely talk without shouting in outrage, and Pat McAfee - who delivers his show wearing a wifebeater.
Best sports media guy out there. At least in my humble opinion.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:21 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
It’s pretty bad that of the three remaining personalities left that I can name (Stephen Smith, Kendrick Perkins & Mark Jackson), Smith is the most knowledgeable and least obnoxious of them all. I gotta think Mike Breen is going to retire from that mess soon.

Old 07-01-2023, 05:55 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,381,118 times
I think the problem for ESPN at least on the basketball side is that they are always overshadowed by the TNT guys, and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:46 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyslm View Post
with cord cutting and all that and less people watching sports talk shows espn is in trouble, but what could make them even more in trouble would be corporations coming and realizing we do not gain anything by having omercials at nba or nfl or mlb games that is billions lost in revenue. then they would not be just cutting stars but tv contracts for nfl nba and mlb
Unless they become European soccer fanatics with longer attention spans, I don’t think the public will demand we go away from TV ad interruptions any time soon. So for now, that revenue stream will be safe.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:35 AM

11,867 posts, read 8,961,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It’s pretty bad that of the three remaining personalities left that I can name (Stephen Smith, Kendrick Perkins & Mark Jackson), Smith is the most knowledgeable and least obnoxious of them all. I gotta think Mike Breen is going to retire from that mess soon.
Obviously Stephen A. Smith has a lot of fans because he's supposed to be one of their highest paid hosts and he is still there. I know it's personal taste, but the guy just irritates me - he just seems to live to gin up controversy and express outrage, and that's just not what I am looking for.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:38 PM

8,772 posts, read 6,119,697 times
I don't think "stars" is the best terminology to use here. They are merely talking heads. The stars of the sports world are the elite performers and maybe some top-notch coaches.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 1,355 times
I feel bad for so many of the longtime personalities at ESPN. Suzy Kolber's departure is one that really hurts, she was there forever.

The reason why Smith and now McAfee are staying is that they're very polarizing or popular which means big ratings, revenue, and buzz for the network, although Smith has said recently that even he didn't feel his job was safe at ESPN. ESPN said that nearly everyone was vulnerable, with a few exceptions including Smith and Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, who ESPN paid millions to hire away from FOX for MNF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports