Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2023, 11:46 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

I'll probably be pretty much alone at my indignation of the lack of TV coverage of both sports unless it's the Olympics and suddenly both sports are the media darlings given they're hauling in 80% of the medal hardware for the US, only to be relegated to obscurity until the next Olympics. Meanwhile NBC and ESPN are covering such riveting competitions as Pickleball, Cornhole and Rugby. The argument is that people aren't watching but the fact they're not broadcasting on cable (streaming only) or marketing the meets in promos does zero to make a potential audience even know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 12:01 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'll probably be pretty much alone at my indignation of the lack of TV coverage of both sports unless it's the Olympics and suddenly both sports are the media darlings given they're hauling in 80% of the medal hardware for the US, only to be relegated to obscurity until the next Olympics. Meanwhile NBC and ESPN are covering such riveting competitions as Pickleball, Cornhole and Rugby. The argument is that people aren't watching but the fact they're not broadcasting on cable (streaming only) or marketing the meets in promos does zero to make a potential audience even know.
Pickleball and cornhole are the "in" plebe "sports" right now. Jurisdictions are spending millions configuring courts for the former (and having police response to fights between its players and others who want to use multi-use ones).

Cornhole is that backyard thing you do when you've had a couple or six too many beers.

Both are fads and will fade out.

Rugby is probably being covered because so many people wish we were Europe. Plus, people can get pretty well mangled playing it, which makes it attractive. Who doesn't want to see someone's shin bones sticking out through the skin?

The sports you want to see have never been widely publicized. They're not "money" sports and are supported in most colleges by football and basketball.

Old 07-08-2023, 12:36 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pickleball and cornhole are the "in" plebe "sports" right now. Jurisdictions are spending millions configuring courts for the former (and having police response to fights between its players and others who want to use multi-use ones).

Cornhole is that backyard thing you do when you've had a couple or six too many beers.

Both are fads and will fade out.

Rugby is probably being covered because so many people wish we were Europe. Plus, people can get pretty well mangled playing it, which makes it attractive. Who doesn't want to see someone's shin bones sticking out through the skin?

The sports you want to see have never been widely publicized. They're not "money" sports and are supported in most colleges by football and basketball.
Actually they are "money sports" even without the support of American sports media (until the next Olympics anyway). The American sports media is complicit in my opinion to keep both sports "unpopular" in order to protect the big four pro sports league network deals/revenue. Heck even the MLS with it's supposed increase in popularity has to scratch/claw for coverage. Here's a deep dive taken in 2018 of T&F endorsement dollars.
https://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/09...ggest-secrets/

Old 07-09-2023, 08:40 AM

1,397 posts, read 676,279 times
NBC has been broadcasting the Diamond League.

I was glued to the TV during Eugene 2022.

IAAF has an ambitious goal of making track a top four sport in the USA by 2028.

https://www.kgw.com/article/sports/t...2-892e5286618c

Old 07-09-2023, 08:45 AM

1,397 posts, read 676,279 times
Also mentioned in that article is a problem shared by both track and cycling in the U.S., athletes go where the money is - Europe.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:34 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
I think the rights owners pulling in the billions of Euros don't wont to let their product get deflated by letting American sports networks getting away with only paying millions of dollars for a secondary hour filling sport. So the cheaper American only sports fill those extra hours for the sports broadcasters.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:07 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
NBC has been broadcasting the Diamond League.

I was glued to the TV during Eugene 2022.

IAAF has an ambitious goal of making track a top four sport in the USA by 2028.

https://www.kgw.com/article/sports/t...2-892e5286618c
To me Track and Field IS a top four sport. I've enjoyed watching the Diamond League broadcasts this last year. Lots of exceptional athletic performances. I'd rather watch T & F than any (NBA, G League, WNBA) professional basketball. The games quite frankly, are boring. This from someone who LOVES college basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports