Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2023, 03:41 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Djokovic did it and may well win 1 or 2 more majors this year. GOAT!
I remember when Sampras (who I don't like) got to 14, and I thought no one would ever pass that.

Now all of the Big Three (and I like all three) have left Sampras in the dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 11:32 AM

7,012 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
The first two sets were great tennis. Earned several gigs on my DVR (until the hard drive craps out.... ).

I'm just a tennis hacker but I know that lack of big match tennis experience can cause you to tense up and cramp. That's what I think happened to Carlos. These professional tennis players are redlining it. Have you ever sat next to or met a professional tennis player in person? They are built like formula one race cars. I'm hoping Carlos stays healthy and gives us more great tennis. I watch a lot of tennis and he hit the best shot I can recollect seeing.
No, never had the occasion, although I can tell from TV that they aren't built like regular human beings, and running on lactic acid and hitting amazing shots as your body is at the breaking point IS the way the game is played..........has to be. My back and foot problems limit me to hitting the ball around, can't really "play" anymore. When I could play, getting to that exhaustion point and pushing through to find that 2nd wind was one of my favorite parts.....such a natural high as they say. I've also bonked late and didn't get the second wind....I'm not enough of an athlete to get muscle cramps like that, but yeah, it happens to everyone at some point. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:52 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I remember when Sampras (who I don't like) got to 14, and I thought no one would ever pass that.

Now all of the Big Three (and I like all three) have left Sampras in the dust.
There's also more surface uniformity today. In the 90s, Nadal would not have made it past the 2nd Round at Wimbledon.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:49 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's also more surface uniformity today. In the 90s, Nadal would not have made it past the 2nd Round at Wimbledon.
Maybe, but Sampras would still win nothing on clay either.
Sampras was almost unbeatable on 90s grass, his serve especially being one of the best of all time.
I’d love to see him against an epic returner like Djokovic at Wimbledon, who is like Agassi on steroids in that department.
Now that would be a matchup!
This would be like Usain Bolt vs Michael Johnson over 200 meters at their respective peaks, a dream matchup.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:16 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Maybe, but Sampras would still win nothing on clay either.
Sampras was almost unbeatable on 90s grass, his serve especially being one of the best of all time.
I’d love to see him against an epic returner like Djokovic at Wimbledon, who is like Agassi on steroids in that department.
Now that would be a matchup!
This would be like Usain Bolt vs Michael Johnson over 200 meters at their respective peaks, a dream matchup.
Ooff, I own a ProStaff 85, trying to hit topspin with it is well above my skill level.....my goodness it is an amazing control racquet though. Spin and pace are wiped away and you put the ball where you want it......if you are good enough, of course! (I frequently am not!)

Old 06-18-2023, 07:28 PM

507 posts, read 343,514 times
Tiafoe won the Stuttgart Open

Old 06-18-2023, 10:57 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Tiafoe won the Stuttgart Open
Yes, well done to Tiafoe, his 3rd ATP title.
Tallon Griekspoor has also won the other 250, the Libema Open in the Netherlands, as the hometown hero.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:58 PM

And now Korda just beat Tiafoe at Queens Club

Old 06-23-2023, 01:35 PM

Korda v Alcaraz semifinal tomorrow!

Old 06-26-2023, 08:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Korda v Alcaraz semifinal tomorrow!
The other warm up tournament to Wimbledon along with Queens, is Eastbourne International which started yesterday at Devonshire Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports