Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2023, 12:44 PM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times

Advertisements

Well, we got what we wanted on the Men's side. Should be epic.......either Major #24, or perhaps the changing of the guard that we all know is coming at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 10:21 AM

507 posts, read 345,638 times
Dang it. I thought this was the opportunity for Ons. My heart broke for her when she said this was the most painful loss of her career.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:35 PM

10,790 posts, read 4,356,071 times

Old 07-15-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well, we got what we wanted on the Men's side. Should be epic.......either Major #24, or perhaps the changing of the guard that we all know is coming at some point.
Either Djokovic wins again, or Alcaraz is the changing of the guard, or Alcaraz is just the transitional champion as Lleyton Hewitt was....

Despite winning in straight sets, Alcaraz had only 3 break points on Rune's serve, so whether or not Alcaraz beats Djokovic, the Alcaraz-Rune rivalry remains unpredictable..... and on grass, Rune had only played 3 grasscourt matches prior to 2023 (and lost them all).

Old 07-15-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Dang it. I thought this was the opportunity for Ons. My heart broke for her when she said this was the most painful loss of her career.
She played very poorly today, barfed up the Championship. I don't know what her training routine and coaching is like, but she acted like she had no clue her opponent was left-handed. She kept serving to the Czech's forehand side, and struggled to read the bounces on her own backhand side. She netted them over and over and over, especially when any kind of top or side-top spin was hit at her. She was trying the drop shot on high bouncing balls and leaving them out there to be put away. Ugh.

Her coach/husband was scowling at her with his arms crossed as she was in tears and the gallery was cheering for her when it was all over. She came out to play the Wimbledon Final in black.....how do you not know to wear white? What an all around disaster of a day for her.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
Rune is so unlikable, for example:

https://tennis-infinity.com/atp/rune...s-former-coach

His uncalled hindrance against Dimitrov was just another example why tennis needs to go to automated line calls.

I'm all for the best player winning, but it doesn't help fan support when the winners are so unlikable. If you aren't Serbian I can't imagine most people liking "Novax".
Well there is no worse experience in tennis than hearing that noise Alcaraz makes, whereas Rune makes no such noise, plus Rune doesn't do dumb-looking fist-pumps after each point. So Tennis will be a lot better-off when Alcaraz is pushed into early retirement with that fragile body of his. Imagine if Alcaraz cramps again vs. Djokovic, he'll be a laughing stock....

Old 07-16-2023, 11:55 AM

507 posts, read 345,638 times
Gracias Carlos, that was freakin' awesome.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:28 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Agree about Alcaraz, but doubt he will come anywhere close to the number of majors as Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic.
On second thought, after seeing Alcaraz play today, he could well exceed Djokovic in the number of majors won.

Old 07-16-2023, 11:24 PM

Alcaraz cramping after 2 sets at Roland Garros vs. Djokovic, and now beating Djokovic at Wimbledon (despite Alcaraz playing only 6 matches on grass prior to 2023) further emphasizes the difference between clay and grass. There is no greater achievement than winning Roland Garros, both physically and mentally.

Old 07-17-2023, 05:37 AM

Novak wasn't hitting it past him. It was Alcaraz's day to make or miss the winning shots, and he made enough of them over 5 sets. I won't say it was a pretty match, or a typical grass match, but well done by the 20 year old and ferociously fought by both guys.

Alcaraz plays a fun game to watch and was a gracious champs. The mixing of English and French in his excitement got a lot of friendly laughter. It is weird watchin a guy this young win.........heck watching anyone under the age of 30 win a Grand Slam!

I don't want to project him out 10-15 years from now and talk about chasing 20+ majors, but over the next few years Carlito is the man to beat until proven otherwise. One to the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports