Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2023, 04:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,415,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
https://about-tennis.com/is-there-a-...rve-in-tennis/

In recent years, tennis has implemented a serve clock to manage the time taken between points and ensure that players serve within a specified time frame. The serve clock was first introduced at the US Open 2018, with a digital countdown that displayed the 25 seconds a player has before they must begin their service motion.

It was within the rules, she consistently was beginning her service motion often with 3 or 4 seconds left, sometimes less, but that's within the rules.

Google is your best friend.
She didn't even begin serving motion. It went to zero many times before she even began her service motion. Please rewatch the match.

Also, the receiver is supposed to go at the server's pace, which Siegemund didn't do. So again, she's not within the rules. But the chair umpire let it slide by saying Coco plays too fast, so again, she got leeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 11:05 PM

Wow, what a SF match between Keys and Sabalenka!! This was a close one for Sabalenka getting bageled in the first set but she turned this around by fighting hard. Now she’s off to battle Coco in the Final!

Old 09-08-2023, 06:25 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,753,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Wow, what a SF match between Keys and Sabalenka!! This was a close one for Sabalenka getting bageled in the first set but she turned this around by fighting hard. Now she’s off to battle Coco in the Final!
I'm so disappointed Madison lost, she had the match on her racket at 5-4 in the second set, but Sabalenka broke her serve, and IIRC she double faulted during that game. The media reports she was crying during the post-game interview so it was cut short.

Old 09-08-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, we've had worse heat than this in NY in the past. This summer has been relatively cool, for the most part. And people in Texas and Florida experience WAY worse heat and humidity than this.
We've had heat wave warnings in NY the last three days or so and you are saying it's been even hotter in NY, I don't think so, not hotter than these last few days. I couldn't stand being out just walking to my car from the store, I had to run home to the air conditioner, and you expect these players to over exert themselves in this heat wave and not risk their health? Medvedev needed an inhaler to help him breath and he remarked one of them is going to die someday, that's how bad it is.

Don't forget, years ago the players didn't exert themselves with so much power like they do today, even Roger Federer didn't play like Alcaraz does.

I read Ashe stadium has air conditioning, but Armstrong has a natural ventilation system.

FYI, I lived in Orlando for ten years and the temperature almost never hit 100 degrees, I don't know how high the temperature gets in Miami, but the heavy humidity that hangs in the air is terrible. The NY temperature the last few days equals the Florida heat I experienced in the summer in Orlando.

I used to spend March and April in southern California and and people would ask me how I could stand the weather in NY. I thought they were talking about the cold weather being terrible, but they were talking about not liking the heat in NY!

Last edited by wp169; 09-08-2023 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-08-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I'm so disappointed Madison lost, she had the match on her racket at 5-4 in the second set, but Sabalenka broke her serve, and IIRC she double faulted during that game. The media reports she was crying during the post-game interview so it was cut short.
Madison let nerves get the best of her and you absolutely cannot have nerves when facing someone like Sabalenka. She held serve so well throughout the match and right when it mattered most in the second set, she had the worse service game and couldn't close the match. She had many chances but blew it!

Old 09-08-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
We've had heat wave warnings in NY the last three days or so and you are saying it's been even hotter in NY, I don't think so, not hotter than these last few days. I couldn't stand being out just walking to my car from the store, I had to run home to the air conditioner, and you expect these players to over exert themselves in this heat wave and not risk their health? Medvedev needed an inhaler to help him breath and he remarked one of them is going to die someday, that's how bad it is.

Don't forget, years ago the players didn't exert themselves with so much power like they do today, even Roger Federer didn't play like Alcaraz does.

I read Ashe stadium has air conditioning, but Armstrong has a natural ventilation system.

FYI, I lived in Orlando for ten years and the temperature almost never hit 100 degrees, I don't know how high the temperature gets in Miami, but the heavy humidity that hangs in the air is terrible. The NY temperature the last few days equals the Florida heat I experienced in the summer in Orlando.

I used to spend March and April in southern California and and people would ask me how I could stand the weather in NY. I thought they were talking about the cold weather being terrible, but they were talking about not liking the heat in NY!

THREE days out of the entire summer of 90 degree temperature is bad?? There are people on the west side that are experiencing far worse heat than this for a longer duration of time, my friend!

Old 09-08-2023, 01:14 PM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
What a heart-breaker after that great first set, and serving for the match in the second.

There is around two minutes of her interview on Youtube. Video was cut short after she couldn't control the tears.
Madison played so well. Honestly, I was shocked Sabalenka pulled it out. She was on the ropes seemingly the whole match until the tie-breaks. Everything but the finish, as they say.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Madison played so well. Honestly, I was shocked Sabalenka pulled it out. She was on the ropes seemingly the whole match until the tie-breaks. Everything but the finish, as they say.
It was obviously nerves. Coco had some nerves closing out her SF match, but managed to still pull it off. That's why Coco has to be careful tomorrow. She needs to have nerves of steel to beat Sabalenka.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
THREE days out of the entire summer of 90 degree temperature is bad?? There are people on the west side that are experiencing far worse heat than this for a longer duration of time, my friend!
I pointed out the last three days or so with the heat wave warning because of the U.S. Open, I know we've had more hot days than three this summer, maybe not hotter than it's been lately for me because I live in Westchester County, it might be cooler here than the city, it's been 5 years since I've been in Manhattan.

BTW, I didn't want to believe it, but I agree with you, at 5-4 in the second set Madison choked.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
What a heart-breaker after that great first set, and serving for the match in the second.

There is around two minutes of her interview on Youtube. Video was cut short after she couldn't control the tears.
Thanks, I'll check it out even though it will make me feel terrible for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports