Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2023, 01:22 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,753,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I was very impressed with her post-match comments. She showed much maturity for someone of her age.
I agree except for the comment about the fans who thought she would fail, it was like she had to say something to get even with them, i thought it made her sound resentful and took something away from the happy moment. Coco will have to put up with critics during her entire career, warranted or not, I will say that she has to be remarkable worrying about her critics and still winning, she's an amazing teenager!

Last edited by wp169; 09-10-2023 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 01:59 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,415,131 times
Quote:
I agree - I thought she would get destroyed by Sabalenka. Coco's defensive play and Sabalenka's erratic play both were key in this match. Coco made a believer out of me. If she can keep this level of play up, she's going to do very well in her career.

The thing that surprised me the most is how well she kept her nerves in check until the very end. She served for the match and that's where the real pressure began, and that what caused Madison Key's to lose in the SF. But she closed it out nicely and cleanly without a hitch!

Old 09-10-2023, 02:01 PM

Anyways, who do you guys think will win the men's match today? You think Medvedev will beat Djokovic like he did two years ago?

I, personally, don't think so because I'm sure Djokovic is out for revenge! I think Djokovic will win this! But then again, Medvedev plays so well on this court, so like Derek said, it's 50/50. So I'm pretty much flipping the coin here in my prediction.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:21 PM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
I agree - I thought she would get destroyed by Sabalenka. Coco's defensive play and Sabalenka's erratic play both were key in this match. Coco made a believer out of me. If she can keep this level of play up, she's going to do very well in her career.
Coco starting getting everything back into play and Sabalenka had to keep trying to hit winner after winner to get the point.....and the errors started racking up.

A lot of those moonball shots CoCo hit look like easy smashes, but they are insanely spinny shots that can do really weird things in the air, or on the bounce. In general Gauff's use of spin was really good, I felt like she played better on her forehand side when she put more topspin on the ball and made Sabalenka go up and get it off the kick bounce. Lots of those unforced errors by the Sabalenka were the results of her misreading the spin on the ball.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:53 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Djokovic gets it!
A 4th USO to equal McEnroe and Nadal in New York.
Slam #24 and a fitting tribute to the late Kobe Bryant.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:59 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Djokovic GOAT - classy comments during trophy presentation.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:29 PM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Novak was one set away from the Season Grand Slam this year, which at age 36 is nuts.

I've been saying for years now "enjoy it" because it won't last forever, but Djokovic seems determined to only be defeated by Father Time, who is still playing from behind against this guy. Still, enjoy it, we live in the age of greatness and even the sunset of the Big 3 era is amazing.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Novak was one set away from the Season Grand Slam this year, which at age 36 is nuts.

I've been saying for years now "enjoy it" because it won't last forever, but Djokovic seems determined to only be defeated by Father Time, who is still playing from behind against this guy. Still, enjoy it, we live in the age of greatness and even the sunset of the Big 3 era is amazing.
Second time he got 3 of 4 grand slams. It’s a shame he gets so close to the calendar year grand slam and misses.

Old 09-11-2023, 11:42 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
I don't like Margaret Court.

I've always wanted at least one player, male or female or both, to catch her and pass her re number of GS singles titles.

Serena missed catching her by one.

Hopefully Novak gets to 25 and beyond (and Rafa too....but that may not be realistic re how he comes back from injury and 2024 likely being his last year).

Old 09-11-2023, 11:54 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't like Margaret Court.

I've always wanted at least one player, male or female or both, to catch her and pass her re number of GS singles titles.

Serena missed catching her by one.

Hopefully Novak gets to 25 and beyond (and Rafa too....but that may not be realistic re how he comes back from injury and 2024 likely being his last year).
A lot of Margaret Court’s AO titles were in the pre Open Era, and before it became a completely open and competitive Major.
Hence most people only go on Serena’s 23 Slams as the real deal.
The CYGS in the Open Era, which Court has and Laver also has on the men’s side, is the only real thing she has over Serena imo.

Last edited by Derek41; 09-12-2023 at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports