Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2023, 08:58 AM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
A lot of Margaret Court’s AO titles were in the pre Open Era, and before it became a completely open and competitive Major.
Hence most people only go on Serena’s 23 Slams as the real deal.
The CYGS in the Open Era, which Court has and Laver also has on the men’s side, is the only real thing she has over Serena imo.
Novak has 10 Aussies won in January at the beginning of the season to pad his resume too. Fair or not, even today I see it as a different animal than the Summer trio of majors because you have to be sharp so early in the season to win it.

I never saw Court play, so I have no idea how good she was or was not. That 25 number being on top seems to bother people because of her politics as much as the caliber of her AO draw during some of those years. Other sports relish their "old timers" and prop up their accomplishments. Think of the legendary .400 seasons that once were in baseball, the 2-way NFL players who ate nails for breakfast, the basketball greats that could take a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave 4 quarters as change before any camera was around to record it. The tennis world doesn't treat Court the same way, you would assume she is dead, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 07:21 AM

3,503 posts, read 1,415,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't like Margaret Court.

I've always wanted at least one player, male or female or both, to catch her and pass her re number of GS singles titles.

Serena missed catching her by one.

Hopefully Novak gets to 25 and beyond (and Rafa too....but that may not be realistic re how he comes back from injury and 2024 likely being his last year).
I’m pretty sure Novak is not done yet and I would be very surprised if he doesn’t win at least one next year. Novak has no plans to retire just yet, so he ain’t stopping now!

Old 09-14-2023, 12:37 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I’m pretty sure Novak is not done yet and I would be very surprised if he doesn’t win at least one next year. Novak has no plans to retire just yet, so he ain’t stopping now!
I agree I think he'll win at least one - Aussie being most likely.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:50 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Still plenty of tennis left for the year.
The Laver Cup is starting in Vancouver, with the Astana 250 and China Open 500 stating mid next week.
The Shanghai Masters 1000 event returns again this year too, after Covid restrictions have been lifted.
The WTA has the Japan 500 event, then the China Open, which is a WTA 1000 level event on the women’s tour.
After that, we’ve got the final Indoor season to look forward to.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:44 PM

Interesting strategy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ten...bac961e8&ei=10

Old 10-04-2023, 11:11 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Right. He's quite young to be thinking about pacing himself.

Good to see Sinner break through with victories against Alcaraz and Medvedev.

Old 10-04-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Right. He's quite young to be thinking about pacing himself.

Good to see Sinner break through with victories against Alcaraz and Medvedev.
I think Sinner and Alcaraz are the future of men's tennis.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:31 PM

Alcaraz upset:

https://tennis-infinity.com/atp/upse...anghai-masters

Old 10-18-2023, 12:36 AM

10,790 posts, read 4,356,071 times
Most players who have serious mental issues in big matches with big points, don't ever improve or overcome those deficiencies, so I don't think Sinner will ever amount to much.
So Alcaraz and Medvedev probably win most of the slams, especially Alcaraz because he's good enough to win Roland Garros (after Nadal leaves in 2025 or whenever) and has already won Wimbledon despite not even being in his prime....

Old 10-18-2023, 03:45 PM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
I love watching Dimitrov. He professes to hate the nickname "baby fed" but he's almost as fun to watch as Federer. Hope Dimitrov wins a major before he retires.
I enjoy watching anyone with a nice one-handed backhand, and his is very pretty.

I don't know if he has the juice to win enough matches in a row against Top-10 players to claim a major, but in any given match, he can beat anybody on tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports