Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2024, 05:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,415,131 times

Advertisements

Not too crazy about the remaining WTA players that are left for the quarterfinals. The only ones that I see that have the potential to win the AO is year are Gauff and Sabalenka. But Krecjikova does have a shot too tho she can get sloppy at times and is the least consistent of the three. So my bet is on Gauff and Sabalenka.

For the men, I think Djokovic will win again this year, tho Alcaraz is also playing extremely well and has a very good shot at winning too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 10:22 AM

I don't know what to say after watching Coco Gauff's QF match. Abysmal playing from her (and from Kostyuk) with an unusually high amount of unforced errors. She's lucky to have won, but she better clean up her game before her SF match against Sabalenka!

Old 01-24-2024, 10:18 AM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Not too crazy about the remaining WTA players that are left for the quarterfinals. The only ones that I see that have the potential to win the AO is year are Gauff and Sabalenka. But Krecjikova does have a shot too tho she can get sloppy at times and is the least consistent of the three. So my bet is on Gauff and Sabalenka.

For the men, I think Djokovic will win again this year, tho Alcaraz is also playing extremely well and has a very good shot at winning too.
Wow, and now he is out, just like that. I haven't been watching yet because of times/work schedule but from what I read, the Men's draw seems pretty open, lots of guys not named Djokovic playing good tennis. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else take this one.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Wow, and now he is out, just like that. I haven't been watching yet because of times/work schedule but from what I read, the Men's draw seems pretty open, lots of guys not named Djokovic playing good tennis. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else take this one.
Yeah, I saw he lost. Haven't kept up with the men as much as the women but that is shocking to hear!

Maybe Djokovic might win again, though the final 4 players on the men's side are pretty good players. So these next two matches are going to be tough.

For the women, it's gotta be either Gauff or Sabalenka that will win the AO. Yastremska or Zheng are no match for either of those two. But the WTA players always seem to surprise me with their lack of consistency, so I could be wrong.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:34 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yes, this was a shock. Is it possible Alcaraz may go the same way as some others who have only won a couple of majors?

Last edited by Lizap; 01-24-2024 at 11:53 PM..

Old 01-24-2024, 11:52 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Yes, this was a shock. Is it possible Alcaraz may go the same way as some others who have only won a couple of majors?
Well he’s won 2 majors.
But could he crash and burn early, a la Lleyton Hewitt?
It’s only early days, and the clay court season and RG are where he could easily go to another level.
In the meantime, Djokovic remains the man to beat at the AO.
The women’s you would think will come from the winner of the Gauff vs Sabalenka semifinal.

Last edited by Lizap; 01-25-2024 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-25-2024, 08:23 AM

Well Gauff is out.

So it's Sabalenka vs. Zheng in the final. Meh, Zheng has been doing well but don't think she has any chance on beating Sabalenka. Sabalenka crushed Krejcíkova and Gauff, then I don't see how Zheng would pose a challenge for her.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:03 AM

7,027 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Alcaraz will be fine, I think the expectation that he will win 20+ majors is/was unfair, it would be to anyone. The Aussie Open is weird, the winner is generally the guy in the best shape mentally and physically at an "off" time of the year for Northern Hemisphere tennis. I fully expect him to be competing for, if not winning, Grand Slams when summer rolls around.

Sabalenka is a heavy favorite, but she is a make or miss player whose serve can get shaky when the other parts of her game break down. You never know what you are going to get, although she has obviously gotten more consistent in the last year.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:01 PM

Oh no!! Djokovic lost the first two sets against Sinner!! Can he bounce back or will he be out of the AO?

Old 01-25-2024, 11:45 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Oh no!! Djokovic lost the first two sets against Sinner!! Can he bounce back or will he be out of the AO?
Well he got the third set and now trying to equalise to 2 all in the fourth set.
But the test cricket is on as well and husband is flicking between the two.
I do not think the tennis will end any time soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports