Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:04 PM

10,790 posts, read 4,356,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The betting odds suggest Sinner is the strong favourite, despite it being his first major final.
Medvedev has more experience and has had some tough losses in major finals, along with the one major title.
H2H is in favour of the Russian, although Sinner has won their 3 most recent encounters.
Hopefully it’ll be a great match regardless.
In the women’s tonight it’s hard to go past Sabalenka.
Most people will predict Sinner because he beat Djokovic, even though Djokovic was nowhere near as good as Medvedev.
They really are opposites, because Medvedev hit a tidy 52 winners and 41 unforced errors, while Djokovic was a disastrous 32 winners and 54 unforced errors.
Sinner did what he had to do, but I didn't see anything that will trouble Medvedev.

If this was best-of-3-sets I'd say Sinner because he's playing more aggressively and in top form, but best-of-5-sets really suits Medvedev's grinding and patient tennis more, and especially in a slam final because its harder to attack when when the pressure is so great.

All hail King Medvedev, Ruler of Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 04:36 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Medvedev has had two consecutive grueling 5 set matches.

I think Sinner will take it.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:25 AM

3,503 posts, read 1,415,131 times
I have to admit the men’s final is definitely going to be the more exciting final.

The women’s final match is going to be so predictable. It’s a terrible pair! Seriously, I cannot even imagine Zheng being a challenge for Sabalenka. Zheng is going to get absolutely crushed! And I don’t say that proudly too because I actually like Zheng. But just being realistic here.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:23 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I have to admit the men’s final is definitely going to be the more exciting final.

The women’s final match is going to be so predictable. It’s a terrible pair! Seriously, I cannot even imagine Zheng being a challenge for Sabalenka. Zheng is going to get absolutely crushed! And I don’t say that proudly too because I actually like Zheng. But just being realistic here.
Well you were pretty close to the mark.
Zheng was crushed, but she also showed she is a genuine talent for the future.
Sabalenka was very strong in the final, and went after her big shots.
First woman to defend her AO title since her compatriot Azarenka in 2013.
Sabalenka is a hard hitter, but can be erratic and error prone at times.
Still, she has won this major tournament emphatically and without dropping a set.
Melbourne seems to be a happy hunting ground for the Belarus’s !

Old 01-27-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Well you were pretty close to the mark.
Zheng was crushed, but she also showed she is a genuine talent for the future.
Sabalenka was very strong in the final, and went after her big shots.
First woman to defend her AO title since her compatriot Azarenka in 2013.
Sabalenka is a hard hitter, but can be erratic and error prone at times.
Still, she has won this major tournament emphatically and without dropping a set.
Melbourne seems to be a happy hunting ground for the Belarus’s !
I’ll give Zheng credit. She served very well. A lot of great first serves in, which I don’t see all too often among the WTA players.

On the men’s side, it’s a toss up. Both Sinner and Medvedev are on fire in this tournament!

Old 01-28-2024, 02:44 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,528,077 times
Medvedev has taken the first set, one game all in the second. Some great play going on.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:51 AM

Dang it, didn't get to watch the men's final because it was 3:30am my time. I woke up this morning at 10am and the results were all over the news, which spoiled everything for me. What a bummer as it sounded like a pretty exciting final match. Congrats, Sinner!

Old 01-28-2024, 01:20 PM

507 posts, read 345,638 times
Thrilled for Sinner!!!
I went to great lengths to avoid spoilers so I got to watch this 5 set final in genuine suspense. It was one of those matches when one payer is more in-the-zone at first but then a shift happens and the other player becomes the one more in-the-zone. It seemed like Meddy was focused and feelin' it first two sets while Jannik was maybe letting nerves get the better of him. But after that Meddy got fatigued as Sinner was getting more confident and firing on all cylinders.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:32 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Thrilled for Sinner!!!
I went to great lengths to avoid spoilers so I got to watch this 5 set final in genuine suspense. It was one of those matches when one payer is more in-the-zone at first but then a shift happens and the other player becomes the one more in-the-zone. It seemed like Meddy was focused and feelin' it first two sets while Jannik was maybe letting nerves get the better of him. But after that Meddy got fatigued as Sinner was getting more confident and firing on all cylinders.
Yes, this was a very interesting match. My guess is Sinner is likely to win more grand slams.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Thrilled for Sinner!!!
I always manage to avoid spoilers in the women’s match, but the men’s tend to get spoiled for me every time. Seems like the men tend to have more news coverage so I have to go through greater lengths to stay off my phone and avoid YouTube and Facebook at all costs until I watch the match.

Thankfully US Open is in my time zone so that never gets spoiled for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports