Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 01:48 PM

6,669 posts, read 4,497,783 times

Advertisements

Alcaraz and Sinner look to be the future of men’s tennis…

Old 06-10-2024, 02:43 PM

11,203 posts, read 4,581,273 times
In the AO Final we saw Medvedev lead 2-sets-to-love, and then in the 3rd Set his forehand dropped 10km, which was surely due to him playing 6 more hours than Sinner.

I'm still not convinced that Sinner will be a regular winner of slams, because his best surface is undoubtedly hardcourt, and that is also Medvedev's best surface.

Medvedev is a US Open Champion, and lost FIVE hardcourt slam Finals (to Nadal, Djokovic and now Sinner), and he's made a Wimbledon SF.

Undoubtedly Medvedev's not getting any worse, so its hard to pencil in Sinner as a regular slam winner... when he looks no better than Medvedev at the hardcourt slams especially.

Entirely possible Alcaraz wins several more hardcourt slams too, given he's already won the US Open and will only get better (his shot-selection is often questionable)... and most importantly he's 11-1 in 5-setters, so you need to beat him in 3 or 4 sets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2024, 03:20 PM

7,276 posts, read 11,584,661 times
Pickle juice magic!

I think the entire cohort of 1990s men players have been beaten into mental submission by the extended dominance of the Big 3. Whether it's Zverev, Tsitsipas, or Medvedev, they all get that same "this can't be happening" look in their eyes once they have a lead and the other players starts to storm back, then fold.

My guess is the Slams start going right to those youngsters, with maybe a 1990s born player sneaking in one or two over the next few seasons. They aren't getting any younger and my guess is that we don't see players winning GS title after GS title in their mid-30s like the 24 GS titles the Big 3 won after age 30 combined............which is just nuts.

Old 07-09-2024, 01:30 PM

Sinner is out, Medvedev gets his 5 set revenge. Has to be a bit disappointing for Sinner to not reach the Finals of the French Open or Wimbledon. Goes to show how hard it really is to win multiple majors in a season, let alone do for over a decade as the Big 3 did.

Alcaraz fought off Paul after the later returned to earth after a great first hour of play. Clearly his tournament to lose since he seems to be able to shake off extended periods of shaky play and execute when it matters. Novak's path to the Final seems fairly open and he is playing well enough to get there.

Women's draw is wide open. I guess it will be one of the big hitting Eastern Euro women but who knows?

Old 07-10-2024, 04:45 PM

Djokovic has declined significantly since last year, and probably won't win a title of any kind this year.
If Djokovic reaches the Wimbledon Final, he'll have no chance of beating Alcaraz.
Alcaraz is too clutch for everyone, and too athletic for everyone.
12-1 in 5-setters, 3-0 in Slam Finals, and soon to be 4-0.

Old 07-12-2024, 02:34 PM

Alcaraz 55 winners, 37 unforced errors vs. Medvedev
Djokovic 34 winners, 31 unforced errors vs. Musetti
Quote:
Alcaraz was determined not to get into the kind of stretched-out baseline points Medvedev loves. Only 38 of the semifinal's 244 points lasted nine or more shots.
"I tried not to play long rallies. I tried to hit slices, drop shots. Tried to go the net as much as I can," Alcaraz said. "Tried not to play his game."

Old 07-12-2024, 03:29 PM

We got our match-up. Agreed Alcaraz is the favorite, it's really hard to take 3 sets from him. Novak needs to serve REALLY well and hope to get some sloppy tennis at key times from his opponent.

Old 07-12-2024, 04:15 PM

3,845 posts, read 3,075,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
We got our match-up. Agreed Alcaraz is the favorite, it's really hard to take 3 sets from him. Novak needs to serve REALLY well and hope to get some sloppy tennis at key times from his opponent.
Yes, Alcaraz is the slight favorite, and the bookies and betting odds confirm this.
Djokovic has looked very comfortable so far this tournament, but Alcaraz is a different beast.
Like all BO5 matches there will be ups and downs, so it depends on who keeps their composure to the end.
The women's final will also be interesting, and an unexpected final going on rankings and seedings alone, although Paolini did make the French final last month and Krejcikova has won the French previously.
I'm hoping for the Italian, though nothing against the Czech, it would be a Cinderella story if she won it.

Old 07-12-2024, 05:21 PM

10,820 posts, read 8,121,377 times
I don't see how Alcaraz can lose to Djoker unless he folds mentally. He's still quite young, only 21.

Edit: Medvedev didn't look to be playing at his best in the semifinal. One thing Novak will certainly do better is volley. I thought Daniil's net game was not adequate in that match. You give Alcaraz any extra time to reach the ball, he will make the pass.

Last edited by Arktikos; 07-12-2024 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-14-2024, 10:20 AM

And Alcaraz folded mentally, but fortunately he was a up a break and the fold only lasted one game
Handled the tiebreaker like a seasoned veteran.
Its so weird seeing a 2-time Wimbledon champ at age 21, after seeing the Big3 unable to do that.
But, the Big3 got in each other's way...
More specifically Federer got in Nadal's way at 2006 and 2007 Wimbledon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports