Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which sports would you like see added to the Olympics?
football 8 16.33%
NASCAR 3 6.12%
horse racing (the Kentucky Derby kind not equestrian) 1 2.04%
MMA (mixed martial arts/no holds barred) 8 16.33%
lacrosse 17 34.69%
rugby 19 38.78%
bowling 6 12.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times

Advertisements

Maybe we should look at adding sports that give little countries a bit of an advantage so the Gold Medals get spread around.

Adding more sports that are weighted to the WHITE GUYS club isn't very sporting.

In the 60's the USSR got an advantage with weight lifting be having many events basically doing the same thing.

The swimming advantage went to the Germans and ultimately to the Americans where they have relays, shorter races, longer races, different strokes.

Some small country, I think it was Vietnam got a gold in air pistol I think. Wouldn't they get a better advantage if there was more divisions? distance, pistol type, standing, sitting, upside down, backwards?

What sport was that ribbon dance and who usually gets the gold there?

What about that curling in winter sports? ridiculous sport, but it still gets a gold medal.

Ahhh. We have Decathlon. How about Ninjathlon? That would be cool. Running with low decibels getting higher scores. Star throwing at moving targets.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-19-2008 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Maybe we should look at adding sports that give little countries a bit of an advantage so the Gold Medals get spread around.

Adding more sports that are weighted to the WHITE GUYS club isn't very sporting.

In the 60's the USSR got an advantage with weight lifting be having many events basically doing the same thing.

The swimming advantage went to the Germans and ultimately to the Americans where they have relays, shorter races, longer races, different strokes.

Some small country, I think it was Vietnam got a gold in air pistol I think. Wouldn't they get a better advantage if there was more divisions? distance, pistol type, standing, sitting, upside down, backwards?

Maybe we could lobby for adding that Mongolian game of dragging a calf carcass across the steppes on horseback.

What sport was that ribbon dance and who usually gets the gold there?

What about that curling in winter sports? ridiculous sport, but it still gets a gold medal.

Ahhh. We have Decathlon. How about Ninjathlon? That would be cool. Running with low decibels getting higher scores. Star throwing at moving targets.
LOL Ever watched "Ninja Warrior"?? Excellent competition out of Japan, very cool stuff.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Urban assault? Where you go around looking for fountains and roads....like a scavenger hunt!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
LOL Ever watched "Ninja Warrior"?? Excellent competition out of Japan, very cool stuff.
Who can not like ninjathlon?

Gotta get kids off the playstations. Many think that is a sport.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Who can not like ninjathlon?

Gotta get kids off the playstations. Many think that is a sport.
ugh...you are SOO right. I run a gaelic football team and some guys' kids come to games and their heads are in the gameboy from the time they get out of the car until the time they leave the field. Heck, we've gone out to eat with them and the kids bring the gameboys into the restaurant and to the table!!!

So much for trying to put together a youth team.... "wait, you mean this involves actually moving???"

Old 08-20-2008, 10:04 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times
Okay i turned on the tv and they had handball on. I have to say I am going to try out for team USA's team next year this sport is a blast.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Okay i turned on the tv and they had handball on. I have to say I am going to try out for team USA's team next year this sport is a blast.
Unfortunately, there is no Team USA in handball. It is no longer recognized by the USOC because some shenanigans with the national governing body. Don't remember the specifics. It needs to be developed in this country though, it does look like a blast and I'd love to play as well.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Unfortunately, there is no Team USA in handball. It is no longer recognized by the USOC because some shenanigans with the national governing body. Don't remember the specifics. It needs to be developed in this country though, it does look like a blast and I'd love to play as well.

well we need to get together and get a team going, USOC be damned.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
well we need to get together and get a team going, USOC be damned.
Get a good, stable, national governing body and you'll get a USA team. I actually had at one time corresponded via email with the guy at the USOC who oversaw handball. I could probably find it...if he's still there that is, this was like over 3 years ago (just after the '04 Olympics...go figure).

Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times
I nominate an event like Ms. Galaxy. Combines bodybuilding with aerobics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports