Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,909,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's a pretty standard duration of a municipal bond issue. Not sure why you're so alarmed that it took 30 years to pay it off when that's usually how long it takes to pay off a bond issue for capital improvements. The total revenue generated by the new facilities may or may not have rolled in long before the bonds reached maturity. (Given the Expos and Alouettes ticket sales, probably not.)
And is that why the Expos went to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,855,938 times
They moved to DC because they got tired of playing in a 3/4ths empty stadium, preferring to play in a half-empty stadium again.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Oh, well, OK, I stand corrected. So it only took 30 years! I wonder what other cities would actually look forward to a situation like that?
I don't think other cities are in that situation like Montreal. The sponsors took up some of the tab. Peter Uberoff started that practice for the '84 Olympics in LA. It revolutionized the way cities pay for the Olympics. Example...NBC paid that record $1.25B for the Olympics. Part of that is to pay for the media centers for the Host Cities. Coca-Cola pays for part of the Olympic Villages and venues. GM donates cars for the torch relays and transporting athletes from the Olympic village to the venues.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
They moved to DC because they got tired of playing in a 3/4ths empty stadium, preferring to play in a half-empty stadium again.
Baseball was never popular in Canada. Except for Toronto. I think they should host again. They have the facilites! It's all paid for NOW!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,855,938 times
Quote:
It would be nice, but you can't ever discount the political aspect of a decision like this. The U.S. has hosted both the summer and winter Olympics more than any other nation. Meanwhile, South America has never once hosted the games. I've got my money on Rio.
So, where do I collect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports