Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,114,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Whats the minimum age? Some russian girl was 15, can't remember her name but I'll get it after.
You can be 15 as long as you turn 16 before the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,451,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You can be 15 as long as you turn 16 before the end of the year.
Ahhh thank you.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:46 AM

742 posts, read 2,066,910 times
No action will be taken because China - these girls' nationality - is the host. They don't want to **** off the host. If this were any other country but the host, the entire gymnast team would get slapped and sent home.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but China gymnastic official Zhang Hongliang's excuses are just pathetic. It's everyone else's fault, as he puts it. The media, the committee, everyone but himself.

The moral of this story is: don't host the Olympics in China again. If only the IOC would get that.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,288,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No. Glibly said. It's stupid to think the rest of the gymnastics field should be asked to pay for the sins of an athlete over which they had exactly zero control -- even the American gymnasts. If Americans don't have the right to expect that the other athletes will be accountable to the rules just like Marion Jones was, then give Jones her medals and records back. While we're at it, tell all the 2nd-place finishers she beat and were subsequently awarded gold medals that they have to give them back and settle for silver again.

And seriously, look at these girls. Not a chance some of them are anywhere close to 16. Compare them to any of the other female gymnasts out there. Gymnasts are small to begin with, yet the American girls absolutely tower over them. Except for Shawn Johnson anyway, she merely stands one head over them -- but that girl is built like a draft horse so it's pretty obvious she isn't a tweener.

Great post. Jones and the rest of her team even though they weren't juiced up had their medals taken away. So why cant China they broke the rules as well?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,709,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I dont think us Americans have a right to ***** about anyone else cheating in the Olympics.
Especially after Marion Jones absolutely disgraced our country with her bull****.
And she and the rest of her relay teams were duely dealt with ... the Chinese team is BEING REWARDED!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:23 PM

633 posts, read 2,540,427 times
Maybe I'm going to sound like a "homer" here, but i took great pride in watching Shawn and Nastia beat those Chinese girls in the All Around.

No, I'm not going to be apologetic. I'm American and I want our Americans to win.

On the note of the girls being underaged, I didn't think just because China was the host it excluded them from the rules. USA had to abide by the rules when we held the games in Atlanta. Why should it be any different for them?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,334 times
If it can be established that the girls are in fact under aged, then the medals should be stripped PERIOD. All this speculation is BS. The Chinese have a pool of 1.3 billion to select from. And they don't select the big girls to do gymnastics. Our kids just play video games and hang out at the mall. Only the rich kids or the parents who are really willing to sacrifice allow their kids to participate in this level of sports.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-17-2008 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 AM

17,980 posts, read 27,436,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
they are 16.
They ARE 16. They being our gymnasts. They are 15 going on 16, 16, and up. And they look like they are. They are growing into little women and you can tell. They don't look like muscular little boys, which is what little 11 year olds look like, They don't have little baby teeth or the ears of an 11 year old.

The reasons for setting the age limit have partially been mentioned, but I didn't see this one; the little 11 year olds don't have that fear that the older kids have. Thus, they are probably mentally more willing to abuse their bodies than a 15+ year old kid.

Now, there's no doubt about China's hard training and drive to win gold. The guys are obviously of age and worked very hard to achieve their golds.

I'm sure that they did things fair and square, unlike Marion Jones. No designer roids whatsoever. How do we know for sure that Marion Jones was the only one who cheated? How do we know they all don't cheat? It's the winners who cheat that get the scrutiny.

But who does all this harm? The countries competing against these 11 year olds? No. It's the 11 year olds themselves. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're 14. They're 4'6" to 4' 8" and 68 lbs, and according to Béla Károlyi they're half people.

It's cheating. Period. Marion did what she did and it's in the past and she paid the consequences. Does that mean the US of A should endure being cheated on from here on out? If China will cheat on us and the world so arrogantly in something as trivial as this, what else will they cheat on?

My spiritual advisor has a saying that's relevant here: "It's not your arrogance that's gonna kill you. It's your pride of it."

Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,389,235 times
While I always root for the Americans to win, the Chinese team has often outperformed them. Team USA had an off night, and China's performance merited the team gold. But rules are rules. It doesn't matter if you're the better gymnast, if you're not 16, that's against the rules.

And if gymnastics can't be scored with a pretense of fairness and objectivity, then it shouldn't be an Olympic sport. Allowing Cheng Fei to medal in artistic gymnastics when she clumsily stumbled, almost fell off the vault, then landed splat on her knees was ridiculous... and not because it bumped Alicia Sacramone out of the bronze. High start value aside, her deductions didn't even add up to the deductions taken from other gymnasts for less serious errors.

When the Olympics, long held high as the global symbol of sportsmanship and excellence, turns a blind eye to cheating, it defeats the whole purpose of the games. Those medals are looking awfully tarnished this year.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,423,857 times
I lived in Asia for years and I've seen a lot of Asian kids, and those little girls are NOT anywhere close to 16. They have talent I'll give them that, but they are not 15 or 16 ... 13, 14 maybe.
Sure they have passports, not the the Chinese communist government would create fake ones ... no never. Why they wouldn't even create fake birth records either ... no never again. Listen, the Chinese people in the street are good people, but the government will do anything it has to do to prove they are best, and if it takes creating fake documents, they'll do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports