Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,589 times

Advertisements

Eric Cantona scoring for Man Utd against Liverpool 5 mins from time in the 96 FA cup...

Aldaniti beating Spartan Missile into second in the 81 Grand National..Reverse the result and I would still be spending the winnings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,993,946 times
Default the most gut wrenching

My friend loved this horse Hidden Glance at Saratoga. Rather than bet the horse to win he thought that he could bet a pick 4 so that he would be alive when Hidden Glances started. Hidden Glance was in race 10 which was the last race int he pick 4 sequence. He made a $25 pick bet 5 horses X 5 horses X 1 horse X 1 horse.

First race he nails a $84 bomb longshot that looked like it had no chance to win on paper. Most of the people that made this bet have now been eliminated and the payoff will be large. Then in the second leg of the sequence another longshot wins a $30 bomb. Now the payoff is ensured to be gargantuan.

In the third leg of the pick 4 he is singled with champion Ginger Punch and she must win to keep the pick 4 bet alive. In a thrilling stretch duel Ginger gets up by a nose. It was such a close photo and I can not believe that Ginger Punch got her nose down. This sets the stage for serious excitement.

After making it past for the first three legs and nailing some long shots his $25 has some real steam behind it. When they show the will pays for the final leg payout on Hidden glance is $38K. My friend is ecstatic. So extatic that he can barely stand still or stop shaking. Hidden Glance is 20-1 and is being dismissed by the public. It does not seem that Hidden Glance really has much of a shot.

The race goes off and Hidden Glance settles into the back of the back. At the top of the lane Hidden Glance is produced on the outside and stoutly rallies from the back of the back. With every stride Hidden Glance is making up ground on the favorite Good Request. Then Hidden Glance pulls along side Good Request and appears to take the lead. My friend almost blows a gasket. However Good Request gamely battles back and the two horses battle down the lane nip and tuck, neck and neck. When they hit the finish line it is two noses bobbing up and down. It is too close to call and the finish means my friend will either cash a $38,000 pick4 or go home empty. When they post the photo Good Request somehow had his nose down and won by less than an inch. I do not think there could be a more gut wrenching moment in sports for a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports