Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

I am not saying it should be a top prioroty, merging with the USL or whatever would be fantastic IMHO.
If financially unstable clubs get relegeted so be it. There should be no such thing as a financially unstable club. Wages should be no more than 65% of income and clubs that spend more and get into debt should be fined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:45 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I am not saying it should be a top prioroty, merging with the USL or whatever would be fantastic IMHO.
If financially unstable clubs get relegeted so be it. There should be no such thing as a financially unstable club. Wages should be no more than 65% of income and clubs that spend more and get into debt should be fined.

You do realize that the MLS pays the teams salaries, not the teams? It's a single-entity setup.

Again, teams join the MLS with the understanding that they are part of a professional league and their fans buy season tickets with the same understanding. The owners are paying a $40 million dollar fee for the team and several million dollars a year operating it. They didnt sign on to spend all that money for their team to be relegated to a minor league. If the league had been founded with relegation in place, that would of been great but it didnt and moving to that would be extremely difficult.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
If financially unstable clubs get relegeted so be it. There should be no such thing as a financially unstable club.
This line of thinking is dangerously stupid. Once any club plunges south, they're pretty much done forever unless a super billionaire comes along. Do you foresee the Big Four in England changing any time soon? When a club has a good player that surpasses the stigmatic rank of their team, they're always rumored to be transferred to one of the few Champions League perennials. The hierarchy is always solidifying. I don't ever want that gap here. It's boring as hell.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Tell your european friends that their leagues would be better without relegation and listen to their reaction. I couldnt care less if MLS had relegation or not before I moved to the US and started supporting a team.
If you told a Newcastle fan that he may agree!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This line of thinking is dangerously stupid. Once any club plunges south, they're pretty much done forever unless a super billionaire comes along. Do you foresee the Big Four in England changing any time soon? When a club has a good player that surpasses the stigmatic rank of their team, they're always rumored to be transferred to one of the few Champions League perennials. The hierarchy is always solidifying. I don't ever want that gap here. It's boring as hell.
My favorite club was rightly relegated due to financial irregularities and I have no problem with it. I was and still am gutted but I accept it needed to be done. Football teams are legacies that have deep roots in communities where I come from though, not the Franchise style of American sports. I guess its just different and most Americans wont understand that ?
You dont have to be a super rich team to put in good performances in. Look at Shelbourne a few years ago, beating Hadjuk Split, drew with Deportivo and Deportivo struggled to beat us at their ground. Then came back from 2-0 down to Lille I believe it was and then Lille struggled to beat them in France. THAT is what football is built around, not money and franchise and no relegation to make sure teams dont go down.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Football teams are legacies that have deep roots in communities where I come from though, not the Franchise style of American sports. I guess its just different and most Americans wont understand that ?
Our players show up at the bar after the game to meet and greet the fans. Relegation has nothing to do with a real identity. You think Manchester United is some kind of spiritual experience for fans just because they could theoretically go down? Save this "franchise" rhetoric. No English "club" could survive if they left the FA because nobody wants to see them play exhibitions. That makes them franchises, in essence.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Our players show up at the bar after the game to meet and greet the fans. Relegation has nothing to do with a real identity. You think Manchester United is some kind of spiritual experience for fans just because they could theoretically go down? Save this "franchise" rhetoric. No English "club" could survive if they left the FA because nobody wants to see them play exhibitions. That makes them franchises, in essence.
That does not make them franchises...not by a long shot.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
That does not make them franchises...not by a long shot.
Tell Wimbledon.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Man Utd have deep roots and are far from a franchise. Man Utd have a bunch of "glory hunters" as fans as does any team that has successful patches too. To even suggest that Man U would leave the FA is a non runner.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 PM

They're enough of a "franchise" to have spawned FC United of Manchester, which has decent support. As it stands, though, Man U would never leave because they run the show. If the show ever tried to turn the tables, the G-14 would start up again and threaten a European Super League.

Oh, what honorable tradition! [skeet skeet skeet]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports