U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 201 86.27%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 32 13.73%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 AM

6,218 posts, read 10,260,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, maybe it isn’t the right forum, but both dh and I are wondering, why do we still want Tiger to win, even though he’s so morally corrupt?

I still remember him from the Mike Douglas Show when he was 2, so maybe that’s why.
There are still many detractors. But I guess many of us like comeback stories (queue the Park & Rec blooper with Chris Pratt). And as sports fans, many also don't really care about the athlete's personal lives.

While the most "newsworthy" had more to do with his marriage and DUI; from a sports perspective, it was more about overcoming those setbacks and injuries that some consider career ending.

And personally - as a golf fan, I was actually NOT a Tiger fan at his prime. I certainly appreciated and respected his ability, but the media sensation actually turned me away. I can't say I rooted against him, but I was certainly more behind the likes of Duval and Els during those great duels in late 90's and early 2000's.

However, after his personal life was played out in the media, a lot of the same people that adored him also seemed to turn on him. I guess I like the underdog - because I started to root for him after that. His 2013 season was amazing and we thought he was back. Only to be derailed again by injury.

So yeah - yesterday's win was huge. As many have indicated - one of the biggest comebacks in sports. While many younger fans are proclaiming this to be the biggest in golf, I'm not sure you can say that with what happened to Ben Hogan in '49. But this is also a big part of our society - we have short memories. Which is also probably why, in the golf world, it seems like it's 1999.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 AM

6,316 posts, read 3,810,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He also fought back from physical issues that would retire many people. And morally, he's a saint compared some of far higher position than 'golfer' in this country.

If everybody's life was judged by a few transgressions they happen to have had, the whole country would be morally bankrupt. Everybody has to go through rough spots. Hopefully you learn something from the experience. Golf is physical, I use to play, they make it look easy, its not. To go from not being able to get around very well, not just swing a club, but to win again, is an accomplishment, acknowledge it or not. Golf is back to being the Tiger show. Just dont over do it.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,158,414 times
I couldn't quite get the rapture of the fans hoping Tiger would win... I really wanted any of the other ones (Molinari, Koeptka (spelling?) to win. I was never a big Tiger fan -- to me he was arrogant. His mother

was very much a factor in that -- I remember reading that she taught him not just to want to win, but to absolutely crush the other players so they didn't have a hope of catching him. Maybe that's true for most driven athletes but he always rubbed me the wrong way. So I don't care about the "greatest comeback ever" foaming at the mouth about yesterday's result.

And I admit I never want him to beat Jack Nicklaus' record. Jack was/is a class act on and off the course, which is something that cannot be said for Tiger Woods. I stiill think he's a cad.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM

42,595 posts, read 23,595,993 times
Regardless of how the media and everyone has made him god for a day...

... I appreciate the fact that he loves what he does, and he worked his butt off from numerous professional and personal issues to get himself back at this level. And he is no spring chicken being over 40.

I usually don't watch golf, but I did watch the repeat that aired - and soaked it all in. I am not making him a god, but I like to see the fruits of hard work - especially at the top level. That was special yesterday.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:32 PM

46,558 posts, read 57,972,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Regardless of how the media and everyone has made him god for a day...

... I appreciate the fact that he loves what he does, and he worked his butt off from numerous professional and personal issues to get himself back at this level. And he is no spring chicken being over 40.

I usually don't watch golf, but I did watch the repeat that aired - and soaked it all in. I am not making him a god, but I like to see the fruits of hard work - especially at the top level. That was special yesterday.
I agree. Not only has he risen above the scandal, which disappointed all of us, but he has overcome his physical problems through hard work.

I think we recognize a more humble man, and we root for the underdog.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM

10,098 posts, read 3,566,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Interesting that you would reduce the greatest golfer of our time - arguably of
all time... to a caricature based on color. .

Blame the Fake News. They're the ones that have made it such a big factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I couldn't quite get the rapture of the fans hoping Tiger would win... I really wanted any of the other ones (Molinari, Koeptka (spelling?) to win. I was never a big Tiger fan -- to me he was arrogant. His mother

was very much a factor in that -- I remember reading that she taught him not just to want to win, but to absolutely crush the other players so they didn't have a hope of catching him. Maybe that's true for most driven athletes but he always rubbed me the wrong way. So I don't care about the "greatest comeback ever" foaming at the mouth about yesterday's result.

And I admit I never want him to beat Jack Nicklaus' record. Jack was/is a class act on and off the course, which is something that cannot be said for Tiger Woods. I stiill think he's a cad.
I agree.

The fact is he is not the GOAT - Jack's three-times as many runner-ups and twice as many third place finishes in Majors proves Jack was far more consistent than Tiger ever was...and still yet he has THREE MORE MAJORS than Tiger.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 PM

12,078 posts, read 8,793,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Blame the Fake News. They're the ones that have made it such a big factor.

I agree.

The fact is he is not the GOAT - Jack's three-times as many runner-ups and twice as many third place finishes in Majors proves Jack was far more consistent than Tiger ever was...and still yet he has THREE MORE MAJORS than Tiger.
No one is in Jack's league....or likely will be for many years to come. That goes without saying, but I suppose I should have made it more clear in my previous post that I was talking about the post-Nicklaus era.

Yes, there was much race-based media hype when Tiger first burst on the scene in the 90s. And none were more skeptical than I about whether there was real talent at a level to match. Took about 5 minutes for Tiger to prove that, yes, indeed there was. It's been a long time, though, since I've heard much mention of race in commentary. Tiger's record and performance speaks for itself.

Fact is the game of golf was drifting toward obscurity as the grown-ups headed into middle age and retirement in the mid-to-late 80s. Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Trevino, Floyd, and a few others pretty much in the same time frame. Tiger suddenly appeared a few years later and captured attention that was heading elsewhere. And nearly single-handedly saved golf from soccer status (god forbid).

Yes, Nicklaus is the GOAT and there is much work to be done even by Tiger before there could be any credible challenge to that. But Tiger is the greatest since, with no one even close to equaling what he has done. Tiger is all we've got in the way of a true champion and I'm very glad he's back.

There's no question he should be part of the opening ceremony with Nicklaus and Player upon retirement. But something tells me there are many more Masters ahead for Tiger.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 894,492 times
this Medal of Freedom is premature since he's still playing and working on winning more tournaments - what's the hurry anyway, 43-yr old with probably 5-7 yrs of PGA left?

millions of people redeem themselves from DUI arrests, domestic issues, adultery - giving out award for "righting" themselves seems getting carried away......lets see where he is in his 70-80s to give him this lifetime achievement award for being a great American.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM

54,112 posts, read 23,236,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
He's done well to redeem himself.

Not sure where you're going w/ first his style of shirt now NIKE and other stuff.....what's your beef?

Give him credit for not giving up and being maybe the greatest golfer in the history of the game under the most unbelievable pressure both on and off the course, so many demands. I'm not a fan, but respect what he's done and that he hasn't quit.

"what's your beef?" The wearing of NON collared shirts which IS a standard requirement at every golf course I have played and that is LOT, all over the world.

I currently live in "The Golf Capital of the World" and will NOT be allowed to play ANY of the 100 or so courses WITHOUT a collared shirt.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 AM

54,112 posts, read 23,236,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Morally "bankrupt" is the term I think you were referring to.

The media has made him a God. And the lemming masses have ate it up.
"The media has made him a God" IMO, it is because he is 1/4 black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports