Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:50 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times

Advertisements

Why do you have such a hatred for Phil? I just don't get it. Did he shut you down for an autograph once or something?

The guy has more majors than anyone in the game (not including Tiger of course) in the last 35 years. In fact no other golfer in the last 40 years (aside from Faldo, who's won 6) comes close to Mickelson's 6 majors won. He's top-12 all-time in majors won, he's won more majors than any other southpaw in the history of the game. He's now the oldest major champ by quite a lot (as pointed out, beating Boros' age by years).

We pretty much all agree here that there's a strong chance that the guy is a prig...I don't think anyone here even denies he's likely just putting on an act most of the time in the spotlight and he's probably a pretty arrogant guy. You can make that argument.

But arguing that the guy with the second-most majors in the last 35 years is a trash golfer is crazy talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 08:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Why do you have such a hatred for Phil? I just don't get it. Did he shut you down for an autograph once or something?

The guy has more majors than anyone in the game (not including Tiger of course) in the last 35 years. In fact no other golfer in the last 40 years (aside from Faldo, who's won 6) comes close to Mickelson's 6 majors won. He's top-12 all-time in majors won, he's won more majors than any other southpaw in the history of the game. He's now the oldest major champ by quite a lot (as pointed out, beating Boros' age by years).

We pretty much all agree here that there's a strong chance that the guy is a prig...I don't think anyone here even denies he's likely just putting on an act most of the time in the spotlight and he's probably a pretty arrogant guy. You can make that argument.

But arguing that the guy with the second-most majors in the last 35 years is a trash golfer is crazy talk.
I don't....as I've said before. I have an impatience with the mis-characterization of this oaf as a great golfer. The reaction here to his PGA win was simply over-the-top.

He's been playing a long time and has been the recipient of far more than his share of luck. Heaping praise as a "great golfer" is the crazy talk. You saw what kind of golfer he is at Torrey Pines 3 weeks ago.

As I said to Howard, I'm outta patience and done. Good day.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:24 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
One fluke tourney means nothing. And one fluke tourney can be played
Give a list of reasons it was a fluke?
a.
b.
c.
d.
more?

Old 07-14-2021, 01:08 PM

British Open is upon us and Phil is ranked as a player who can win in everything goes right. Others in that group are Westwood, Woodland, Garcia, Stenson, Day, Fowler, Hoffman so Mickelson has higher expectations by the rankings that the group who would be fortunate to make the cut.
It should be an exciting event. I hope Clarke, Lowry, Mickelson make the cut. I'd like to see their walk up the 18th on Sunday. The crowds over there are very appreciative of former winners, top players who have never won, etc.
In 2011 on the same course the winner was 5 under. Guess who finished 2nd? Yep Mickelson.
Those older guys (Phil, Lee, Darren) who can hang around even par can be a factor.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:38 PM

This field is the hardest to pick a winner for this year of all the majors by far.

Would like to see Casey win it or even Rose. Westwood - any of the Englishmen, really. Sergio winning would be cool but I think his major days are behind him.

I think I'm going to pick Palmer on one board.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Rooting for Morikawa and Mcilroy. But if I have to put money down... it'd be Rahm or Thomas.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Rooting for Morikawa and Mcilroy. But if I have to put money down... it'd be Rahm or Thomas.
Oostie, DJ, Spieth are saying otherwise right now.

DJ and Oosthuizen were on my short list - DJ finished 2nd at Royal SG back in 2011. I know he hasn't been in form but he's going to play on that experience, I think.

Wouldn't mind Spieth winning another Claret Jug either.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:44 AM

This is probably my favorite major (to watch).

Old 07-15-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This is probably my favorite major (to watch).
I like it too due to all the variables. Weather, terrain, pot bunkers, etc.

Phil couldn't buy a putt early on. Six over after nine I think. History shows when he needs a string he gets aggressive which can be feast or famine. Famine. Now he needs 65 still leaving him at +4. It does not look good for a player who ranks #8 on the all time list with 45 victories.

Tons of players at (-1)(E)(+1) so it's wide open.
Oosthuizen is in a great position due to his major history.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:45 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Mickelson +10?

I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports