Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 01:21 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
DJ with an awesome 73 today . Good enough for a T25 and moving up to #173 in FedEx points . Oh well , off to the Middle East . He’ll probably make enough money to keep Paulina in bikinis and nose candy for a while .
LOL - A quick google shows he pulled in about 44 million last year in prize money/endorsements. I'm sure they're not exactly going to have to ration anything anytime soon....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 04:17 PM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Mickelson and the Saudi league?

Old 02-21-2022, 05:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I hadn't heard a word about this before seeing your post, but just did a few minutes of browsing different stories on the subject.

Apparently this jerk has issues with the PGA Tour and is trying to "gain leverage against them"? Do you know what that's about?

Old 02-21-2022, 05:55 PM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Greg Norman is starting an Asian Golf League backed by Saudi $$. 10 tournaments with high purses. Their first event may be the same week as the Players Championship. Players were paid appearance fees for a recent event in Saudi Arabia. Mickelson was seen in a photo with Norman. This new league would still let players compete in three of the majors. In an interview back in November Mickelson and others paid lawyers to create the bi-laws of the new league. This opens the door for Mickelson to be banned by the PGA as they said any players switching to the new league would get banned. Westwood, Stenson and a couple others are intent on playing in the new league. In the same interview Mickelson said the Saudi's were scary mother------- having killed a journalist and executing gay and lesbian. That statement alone should scare him. The Saudi's are surely offended by being called MF's. They should falsely arrest him the next time he is in their country and tell him he committed ------ and will go on trial and subject to execution and lock him up for a couple days. All false of course but to scare him to death. Others say the PGA can not ban anyone. All major golfers have decided to stay with the PGA and the lingering ones are Westwood and 3-4 and Mickelson in the deep soup having paid for the league bi-laws and now verbal content about Saudi Arabia. McElroy says with Johnson, DeChambeau and now Mickelson the new league is dead.

He then put the tin lid on matters by biting the other hand that feeds him, calling the Saudis 'crazy motherf*****s to be involved with' in the book interview and claiming he was only dealing with them as leverage to secure better terms on the PGA Tour.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/go...suspended.html

Mickelson is worth $800 million. If he lives to 92 he has 40 years left and can live on 20 million a year. He has zero incentive to "want or need the money" but he faces suspension or fine and some players have said they don't want to be paired with him in the future. Major scandal in the world of golf.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:58 AM

On further investigation, it seems (on the surface, anyway) that Mickelson does have some valid points of contention with the PGA. But it has been many years since I had any respect for him or his golf game.

From the comments I've read from many other tour pros, I gather I'll have lots of company in my indifference to what Phil says or does going forward.

As time marches on, Jack Nicklaus' towering presence and position over all others in the history of pro golf just gets taller and stronger. After decades as a fan, I finally got to see him play - in person - at the 1995 Pebble Beach Pro-Am....back when that event was a major highlight each year on the tour. That will always be one of my most treasured memories.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:41 AM

Seems like it's all about nothing. Aside from Adam Scott (pretty much another has been), most are staying with PGA Tour.
And i don't really care, TBH. When I flip on the TV to watch golf, I'm not really concerned with who the tour organizers are anymore than who the title sponsor is. I'm watching the top golfers in the world. Not the sponsors/organizers. The only caveat to that are the majors. I'm watching The Masters because it's AGNC. They put out a great product.

That said - Mickelson is Mickelson. At 51 - he's pretty much a has been. And some are saying his comments about the PGA Tour are unfounded or outright lies. But who knows. Regardless of whether someone likes him or not. You can't take what he's accomplished from him. He as basically the 2nd most successful golfer of his era. The unfortunate thing for him is that his era also included Tiger Woods.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Seems like it's all about nothing. Aside from Adam Scott (pretty much another has been), most are staying with PGA Tour.
And i don't really care, TBH. When I flip on the TV to watch golf, I'm not really concerned with who the tour organizers are anymore than who the title sponsor is. I'm watching the top golfers in the world. Not the sponsors/organizers. The only caveat to that are the majors. I'm watching The Masters because it's AGNC. They put out a great product.

That said - Mickelson is Mickelson. At 51 - he's pretty much a has been. And some are saying his comments about the PGA Tour are unfounded or outright lies. But who knows. Regardless of whether someone likes him or not. You can't take what he's accomplished from him. He as basically the 2nd most successful golfer of his era. The unfortunate thing for him is that his era also included Tiger Woods.
And if he had played in 1965, there would have been at least 2 dozen PGA tour pros with far better games than Mickelson ever had. He's a joke - a very lucky joke.

I'm not taking away any credit....as I never gave him any.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:58 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
My first thought was he's back to gambling again and got in very deep. Why else would you get in bed with the Saudi's?

Last edited by take57; 02-22-2022 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
My first thought was he's back to gambling again and got in very deep. Why else would you get in bed with the Saudi's?
There are some rumors that his lifestyle (gambling) is catching up to him.

He may have to play in the new league now as KPMG just dumped him.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:16 PM

214 posts, read 261,012 times
So here we are , basically a month later and the picture of DJ ain’t getting any better . A mediocre effort at The Saudi International , an MC at The Genesis all while committing to the PGA Tour and then , a DNP at both The Honda and at Bay Hill . Doesn’t really appear he’s going to be on track anytime soon . Started the 2022 season at #3 in the world and now’s stands at #9 . Oh well , he did make $44,000,000 last year .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports