U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 196 85.96%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 32 14.04%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 AM

5,951 posts, read 9,990,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Even if you give these pros certain "limitations" it wouldn't matter all that much. They are so good at what they do that they'd adjust on the fly and still be able to play at such a high level.

These guys know how to maneuver golf balls so easily that they'll blast both those golf balls over 300 yards off the tee with ease... and can even spin either golf ball no problem with a wedge in their hand.
So if you gave a tour pro access to only technology that was available 15 years ago. And everyone else on tour is using the latest and greatest, he will have no issues competing?

I'd say that (as well as other factors) matter more at that high level as the differences in their skills are much more equal than at any other level of competition. So you need to look for every competitive edge you can get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 AM

5,951 posts, read 9,990,464 times
Simon Dyson faces disciplinary hearing for rules violation - ESPN

Seriously? The guy was already disqualified from the tournament. But he now faces expulsion from the tour because he had a brain fart and some couch potato saw it? This calling in the rules BS needs to stop. Some of the rules are already wacky enough (sure, you can fix a pitch mark and pick up loose impediments, but don't touch that spike mark), but being able to phone in a rules violation after the fact tops them all.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 AM

8,222 posts, read 21,827,870 times
http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/n...nge/field.html

Looks like a great field for this weekends tournament.

Northwestern Mutual World Challenge

Thursday Dec 5 – Sunday Dec 8, 2013
Sherwood CC ∙ Thousand Oaks, CA

Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,743,323 times
Fantastic Field... Jason Dufner was toying with the idea of Withdrawing from the event because he wants to watch his Auburn Tigers play in the SEC Championship.... his wife told him he wasn't allowed, LOL!

Happy Wife Happy Life!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Fantastic Field... Jason Dufner was toying with the idea of Withdrawing from the event because he wants to watch his Auburn Tigers play in the SEC Championship.... his wife told him he wasn't allowed, LOL!

Happy Wife Happy Life!!!!
That's hilarious if you had to pick any golfer to do that 100 out of 100 would say Duf, the guy looks like every guy on every muni-course in the country.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM

BTW I don't hate many golfers except Serge but I don't like Zach Johnson, I don't hate him I just prefer him not to win anything.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:28 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,743,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
BTW I don't hate many golfers except Serge but I don't like Zach Johnson, I don't hate him I just prefer him not to win anything.

It's because he's got that "up tight" look about him... he hides behind those sun-glasses and has no character to him at all.

I am just amazed by him for the fact that he's such a small guy who doesn't hit the ball far but his precision is top-notch. He ALWAYS seems to be under the radar and always seems to quietly be one of the top 10-15 players each and every season.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 AM

758 posts, read 963,917 times
I’m constantly amazed by how far the Pros can drive the ball with a seemingly effortless swing, and it goes for +300 yards easily. I had a chance recently to see some of them play in person and I paid close attention to their swings and stances. They didn’t swing exceedingly hard or fast, just a bit above average speed and the ball went like a rocket. Some could achieve that with just a long iron! Some of them weren’t even in tip-top shape physically, no Tiger there. Absolutely unbelievable! The clubs they use seemed ordinary enough. By that I mean they look almost identical to the ones found in any pro-shops. What is the secret here? Why can’t most of us do the same? I just can’t figure it out. I know many of them have special club fitting, but does it really make such a huge dramatic difference? The spring-like effect must be over the top if that's the case.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
I’m constantly amazed by how far the Pros can drive the ball with a seemingly effortless swing, and it goes for +300 yards easily. I had a chance recently to see some of them play in person and I paid close attention to their swings and stances. They didn’t swing exceedingly hard or fast, just a bit above average speed and the ball went like a rocket. Some could achieve that with just a long iron! Some of them weren’t even in tip-top shape physically, no Tiger there. Absolutely unbelievable! The clubs they use seemed ordinary enough. By that I mean they look almost identical to the ones found in any pro-shops. What is the secret here? Why can’t most of us do the same? I just can’t figure it out. I know many of them have special club fitting, but does it really make such a huge dramatic difference? The spring-like effect must be over the top if that's the case.
Yes everything makes a huge difference however it does no good with the products don't match your game. The key is to fit you with the balls or clubs or shafts or type of material that works best for your swing, speed and your tendencies. I know it looks like they are not hitting it faster or much harder than we do but they are, they're just so finely tuned it is seamless.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Anyone see the last 9 holes or so of the Northwestern Mutual Challenge today? amazing! Especially the last 4 holes.

http://www.pgatour.com/video.html/20...orld-challenge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports