U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 197 86.03%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 32 13.97%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM

8,224 posts, read 21,864,924 times

Advertisements

From what I have heard it has been more "country" clubs closing than regular golf courses. The new big thing at least here in the upper Midwest is semi-private courses and "club". Courses that offer unlimited golf for as low as $500 in some cases. It might be just the part of the country where these courses are closing because here in Wisconsin in the last 10 years we have started to become a golf mecca or golf destination. When you look at Wisconsin's relatively low population for a state we have a ton of really nice courses, mid courses and great muni-golf. In Wisconsin here we are actually building more golf courses. However I have seen prices come down a huge number for country clubs in our area and some country clubs are opening up there restaurants to the public as a way to generate more income.

In Milwaukee alone there are 15 mini-courses compared to just 6 in Chicago and that's not counting other courses in Milwaukee. In Wisconsin we have several resort cities that attract a lot of people from the midwest so that explains why there are some really nice golf courses in very small towns outside of Milwaukee.

Golf course visionary plans resort near Wisconsin Rapids

Sand Valley, Mike Keiser and new golf courses: Mike Keiser launches resort project in Wisconsin

I think country clubs will continue to decline but the rise of semi-private and club courses will rise and it all depends which state you are in. Overall though I have heard the numbers are down and while perception is that golf is a extremely expensive sport it really isn't. My first target set cost me $90 and golfing at a muni-course here in Milwaukee can cost as low as $7 for 9 holes and typically is anywhere from $15-$25 for 18 and our muni-courses are in pretty good shape. Also the run on "Tiger Kids" is running low nowadays. You still see them out there the Nike everything golfers and the kids and guys where the Tiger outfit and Tiger hat and you can just tell they haven't played golf before until Tiger came along. The same crowd that can only name 2 Golfers, Phil and Tiger. Golf may have over built or expanded to quickly during the Tiger craze of the 90's and early 2000's, so maybe this is just a correction but in the Milwaukee area I can't remember the last time a golf course closed to lack of golfers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 AM

6,007 posts, read 10,034,345 times
Not a huge supporter in statistics... but the big tell is the avg. number of rounds played has been in decline year over year for the last decade or so. I'm sure the economy was a huge factor as well, but most often cited reasons are the cost and time.

There were a lot of golf courses that came out of the woodwork during the 90s. And a lot of them are now in trouble. I agree that you do see a lot more private courses go under (or become semi-private, resort, and daily-fee), than public. But I also think that simply has more to do with how the two operate differently (as opposed to how well they are run/managed).

I did read an interesting article awhile back that support the technology boom as a culprit. As businesses is conducted less via face to face meetings, they are also conducted a lot less on the golf course. And didn't they also revise the tax code which eliminated the ability to pass golf memberships off as an expense?

For me, golf has gotten much more expensive over the last 15 or so years. When I first started to really play - walking 18 holes on a weekend was 20-25. $35 to ride. This is at your 'average' public course. It seems everyone started to go upscale (at least in the DC area) at the turn of the century. Today, you can't play those same courses for less than $50 unless its a weekday. Most places in this area will cost you $75 - $90 on a weekend. I recall when they upped Pebble Beach to $300 or something like that. I said that's just ridiculous, I'd never play for 1/2 that price. Well, the local no-name up-scale courses are getting to that 1/2 way point. Of course, Pebble is now$500... on top of the few grand you'll be spending to stay there so you can actually play.

And equipment - a set of mid-level irons back in the day was $400 or so. Today, most iron sets are $800-$1000. My first set was a Titleist DCI - I believe they were $599. And that was pretty much the high end in terms of iron pricing (unless you went to Honmas or Marumans). Today, current year irons are $800 and up. And we're talking game improvement irons.

I will say though that the equipment industry has done some terrific things in the last decade or so. Unfortunately, that advancement is also reflected in the cost of equipment - and in an economic downturn, that isn't going to help the sport.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 PM

Anyone see the new layout of http://www.pgatour.com/. It strikes me as trying to stay cool with the younger crowd. While I am the younger crowd I hate this new format, I'll probably get used to it in time.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 AM

Anyone tried the gamegolf analyzer? You basically attach these small tags on the end of your club, and tap it against this pager sized unit that goes on your belt before you take it shot. I believe it uses GPS to track your round.

My club is promoting it. It looks pretty neat, but not sure its worth the price tag.

edit: looks like it may be backordered and they're working out some kinks...

Last edited by macroy; 02-25-2014 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Anyone tried the game golf analyzer? You basically attach these small tags on the end of your club, and tap it against this pager sized unit that goes on your belt before you take it shot. I believe it uses GPS to track your round.

My club is promoting it. It looks pretty neat, but not sure its worth the price tag.

edit: looks like it may be back ordered and they're working out some kinks...
How much do they run? what is the purpose of this device?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How much do they run? what is the purpose of this device?
Basically tracks your stats - FIR/GIR/Putts/Sand saves etc. You can probably also use it to get shot distance. So many folks will likely be underwhelmed with their TRUE distance off the tee...

Old 03-15-2014, 05:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 30,378,012 times
Have been logging a few miles walking the Copperhead Course the last several days. Followed Clarke, Els, Harrington in their practice rounds - then spent many hours Thurs, Fri and today out there following so many golfers. Will head to Orlando Tuesday for a full day of practice round. By then I'll have had my fill of watching PGA golf for awhile.....love this time of year, golfwise.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:14 PM

"golf season" here in the mid-atlantic officially starts 3/15 (basically that's when your handicap is supposed to start counting). The group I play with had a tee time on Sunday. I was out of town for the weekend, but was looking way forward to starting my season this coming Sunday and finally breaking in the new clubs I bought during the off season.....

Of course, Sunday night to yesterday AM, the DC area got hit with 8 inches of SNOW. W. T. F.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 PM

Here's a question for all, To join the USGA or Not to join the USGA? or should you join your local GA like WSGA for Wisconsin.
We know all the reason they send you a card in the mail about joining, "For the good of the game" Now the USGA is responsible for a lot of things and donates a ton of money to a lot of great charities and puts on a lot of tournaments and provides the rules and handicap system. So for a little as $10 a year you can join the 700,000+ members of the USGA but is it really worth it? now it's more of a donation than you getting something for your 10 bucks. Does a multimillion dollar organization really going to benefit if they get a bunch of donations or new members? this is where I struggle. If you want to make a difference chances are your money is better spent on the local level at your "Wisconsin State Golf Association". If you want or need a handicap you can get one from your local club or home course or from your state's association.

So for the good of the game should we as golfers should we donate our money to help spread this game?

United States Golf Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USGA: Home

https://members.usga.org/enroll/join/index.aspx

https://members.usga.org/enroll/index.aspx?id=&source=

Why Join the USGA

5 Reasons To Join the USGA

https://www.wsga.org/

Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 PM

A while ago I wrote about how most golfers play a course way to long for them and should be playing a shorter course here is a new article I found on pga.com about their Tee It Forward program as a way to speed up pace of play, I never suggested people play a shorter course to speed up play but it's an angle I never considered. The chart in this article seems a little short even for a guy who drives 175-200.

http://www.pga.com/pga-and-usga-step...ard-initiative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports