Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,403 times

Advertisements

PGA Championship is here! If you're at work or at home and are itching to watch some live action... click the link below to get the Marquee Group of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and Padraig Harrington for your morning fill of golf!

2014 PGA Championship LIVE Video - Valhalla Golf Club, Louisville, Kentucky - PGA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
I hope everyone got to see the PGA Championship today if not you really missed out. BTW Next years PGA Championship is an hour north of Milwaukee at Whistling Straits. Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 9, I'm getting a Sunday and a practice Wednesday ticket. Can't wait.

Some players think PGA should have gone to preferred lies - JSOnline

BTW Phil was about 2-3 inches from holing out and forcing a playoff on a chip shot from the lip of a bunker.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 AM

It was quality stuff on Sunday especially down the stretch. I really feel for Rickie Fowler... to be so close in every single major this year... but when you have Rory playing like he is right now, nobody can beat him.

Player of the year is officially locked up for Rory now... lets see if he can complete it with a FedEx Cup title.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
What are some wagers/games you play on the course?

We typically play a $5 nassau with Junk thrown in (greenies, sandies, birdies, and eagles).
If we have 3 people - its typically a game of 9's.
On occasion, we'd have 5, then we go with validation (skins w/ par validation) or wolf.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,133 times
I voted "no" even though it's like the only sport I care about anymore in life.

Threads around here in any sport just don't get any traffic/posts, and the golf ones seem to be completely lacking in posts and comments/input.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Ok folks... the Top 30 is set for East Lake.. Top 5 have control of their own destiny.. win and you're the fedex cup champ.

Here are the 30 players:

1. Chris Kirk – 2500 pts.
2. Billy Horschel – 2250
3. Bubba Watson – 2000
4. Rory McIlroy – 1800
5. Hunter Mahan – 1600

6. Jimmy Walker – 1400
7. Jim Furyk – 1200
8. Matt Kuchar – 1000
9. Rickie Fowler – 800
10. Jason Day – 600
11. Jordan Spieth – 480
12. Adam Scott – 460
13. Sergio Garcia – 440
14. Martin Kaymer – 420
15. Zach Johnson – 400
16. Bill Haas – 380
17. John Senden – 360
18. Patrick Reed – 340
19. Cameron Tringale – 320
20. Russell Henley – 310
21. Morgan Hoffmann – 300
22. Webb Simpson – 290
23. Ryan Palmer – 280
24. Kevin Na – 270
25. Geoff Ogilvy – 260
26. Justin Rose – 250
27. Brendon Todd – 240
28. Hideki Matsuyama – 230
29. Gary Woodland – 220
30. Dustin Johnson – 210 - Not participating

A few notes here.... for one... I do not understand why they didn't just eliminate Dustin Johnson's name once it was decided he would not be playing the remainder of the season last month. You've got a guy like poor Stuart Appleby who's sitting at #31 who has played great golf the last 2 months to get as far as he did only to be left out. Would be nice if the PGA tour could allow a special exemption for Appleby.

Also... two players in the top 10 actually do not have victories on tour this year, Jim Furyk & Rickie Fowler.

Furthermore, 20 of the 30 participants in the Tour Championship have actually won at least once this year... meanwhile 16 players who have actually won an event are not in the field. I may be in the minority in this (or maybe not) but I really think that any player who has actually won an event this year should automatically qualify for the tour championship. I think NASCAR just did a similar thing starting this season that a win qualifies you for the chase... I think winning a PGA Tour event no matter how big or small should also qualify you.

Anyway... I have 3 guys who I think will win, each of them are in the Top 5.

Billy Horschel
Rory McIlroy
Bubba Watson

Horschel has had an amazing month and I think he continues to play well next week... Rory is a top 10 machine and is always in contention.. even when he has two 4-putts in back-to-back days on the same hole no less! Finally... I liked how Bubba finished this week, getting into 2nd. This is more of a hunch than anything that I feel he has a chance to win, I'm just thinking his good finish this past week will lead to good play again this weekend.

We shall see... happy golf to everyone...

Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,133 times
I don't like the way the Cup is decided. It's really kind of flaky.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I don't like the way the Cup is decided. It's really kind of flaky.

There's really no great way to structure it.. there will always be flaws to the system and things people just don't care for.

I guess it's no different then any other playoff.... if a team gets hot at the right time they can surprise you... this is what's happening here.

Hunter Mahan.. Chris Kirk.. Billy Horschel (especially him), these guys have benefited from playing good golf when it has counted. Kirk shouldn't really be too much of a "shock" here either as his win the other week was his second of the year and he was already having a good year. However, since it's an unfamiliar name people are always going to be scratching their head.

So... overall... I like what they're trying to do, I'd certainly tweak some things if I had it my way but it is what it is.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post

Furthermore, 20 of the 30 participants in the Tour Championship have actually won at least once this year... meanwhile 16 players who have actually won an event are not in the field. I may be in the minority in this (or maybe not) but I really think that any player who has actually won an event this year should automatically qualify for the tour championship. I think NASCAR just did a similar thing starting this season that a win qualifies you for the chase... I think winning a PGA Tour event no matter how big or small should also qualify you.
Keep in mind the Tour Championship is just one tournament. I would think that winning a tournament "SHOULD" get you enough points to be in the playoff. This year, 447 got you in (most tournaments give you at least 500 for a win).

But I do think that there is also a good argument that points can be a better indicator given the depth of field in various tournaments. Winning a major or WGC has to be weighted differently from a tournament that takes place during the same week (i.e Barracuda Open or Purto Rico Open). Hence why tournaments allocate different number of points.

That being said - I do think that perhaps something can be done to the tournament of champions. Being traditionally the first tournament of the season (and yes, I know the season now starts in Oct...but seriously, the big names don't typically play a whole lot in Fall/Winter) AND being in Hawaii makes it less of a venue IMO.

I really think if they want to make it a real playoff - make it more like the US Amateur. Stroke play, then Match play. But I also know that Match play is risky from a TV ratings perspective. Lets face it, Chris Kirk playing against Billy Horschel for the cup isn't going to be the same as Mclroy vs. Fowler. Not to mention match play finals on TV means a lot of dead time.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Another thing to note...

You know there's a MAJOR FLAW when Dustin Johnson.. who doesn't tee it up once during ANY of the playoff events and he STILL qualified for the Tour Championship.... lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports