Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:40 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times

Advertisements

Great leader board so far. Feels like a new Golden Era for American golfers...all these kids that were influenced by Tiger are now doing their thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Don't know if trhis has been brought up before, if so I apologize.

I Can't believe the Master's allows Tiger to were a non collared shirt. Especially with how steep in tradition they are.

I mean, they STILL make the caddies were those white jump suits.

I know other tournaments have allowed him and disagree with them also.

I play a lot of golf and have NEVER seen tt allowed anywhere.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:53 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
Tiger had a taste of the lead Saturday......but he's up there near the top. Broadcast moved to 9 a.m. EST due to weather. It'll be a dogfight.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Don't know if trhis has been brought up before, if so I apologize.

I Can't believe the Master's allows Tiger to were a non collared shirt. Especially with how steep in tradition they are.

I mean, they STILL make the caddies were those white jump suits.

I know other tournaments have allowed him and disagree with them also.

I play a lot of golf and have NEVER seen tt allowed anywhere.
Tiger may have brought it back (twice), but he's certainly not the one that started the trend. People were wearing those back in the 60's/70's. You can find pictures of Jack and Gary wearing them.

Not to mention when it came back the first time, he wasn't the only one wearing it. If this trend helps Nike, you'll likely see others wearing it in the next few weeks.

Fashion changes. IMO - all this actually looks classier than the clown suits folks were wearing in the 70's.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Tiger may have brought it back (twice), but he's certainly not the one that started the trend. People were wearing those back in the 60's/70's. You can find pictures of Jack and Gary wearing them.

Not to mention when it came back the first time, he wasn't the only one wearing it. If this trend helps Nike, you'll likely see others wearing it in the next few weeks.

Fashion changes. IMO - all this actually looks classier than the clown suits folks were wearing in the 70's.
You could be right about jack and gary but, I don't recall anybody else wearing them.

"If this trend helps Nike"

Nike dropped tiger back he his sex scandal happened.

If you look you will see ALL of hs clothing has HIS TW logo on it.

I think he does have sort of deal though, "Golf star Tiger Woods returned to the PGA’s Masters tournament in Augusta this week after a three-year break and longtime sponsor Nike has welcomed him back with an ad showing his career highlights."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/06/nike...test-hits.html

Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
You could be right about jack and gary but, I don't recall anybody else wearing them.

I think he does have sort of deal though, "Golf star Tiger Woods returned to the PGA’s Masters tournament in Augusta this week after a three-year break and longtime sponsor Nike has welcomed him back with an ad showing his career highlights."

He's done well to redeem himself.

Not sure where you're going w/ first his style of shirt now NIKE and other stuff.....what's your beef?

Give him credit for not giving up and being maybe the greatest golfer in the history of the game under the most unbelievable pressure both on and off the course, so many demands. I'm not a fan, but respect what he's done and that he hasn't quit.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:57 AM

dogfight, shootout just as expected....Augusta National is set up for this to happen.....drama, tragic shots, heroic shots....in front of the country and a usually respectable audience in the stands and lining the fairways......I wonder how long this tournament will continue on....decades, centuries....it's been fun for me to watch since about '86, and fortunate enough to watch from all over the world including Honduras, Afghanistan, Bosnia and eventually I attended much more than my share of practice and actual rounds during my time being stationed at Fort Gordon near Augusta National......

Old 04-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Uh. They did not. The biggest ones that dropped him was Gatoraid, AT&T (was on his bag), and a few others. Nike never left - or maybe couldn't due to contract stipulations. But regardless, Nike/TW never parted ways.

The TW clothing line is still Nike. Similar to the Air Jordan apparel line.

As for other's people wearing them, pretty much a bunch of golfers under contracts with Nike had them - including David Duval, Paul Casey, etc. As well as Paul Goydos, who probably shouldn't have been wearing one.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
dogfight, shootout just as expected....Augusta National is set up for this to happen.....drama, tragic shots, heroic shots....in front of the country and a usually respectable audience in the stands and lining the fairways......I wonder how long this tournament will continue on....decades, centuries....it's been fun for me to watch since about '86, and fortunate enough to watch from all over the world including Honduras, Afghanistan, Bosnia and eventually I attended much more than my share of practice and actual rounds during my time being stationed at Fort Gordon near Augusta National......
Yup - it's unique because it's the only major on the same course every year. People know the course and get an understanding of what is a good shot vs. bad. It's also set up in that while the course is not visibility intimidating like either of the Opens. It will penalize you for bad choices or shots that do not land in the right area.

And of course, it's history puts more pressure on people. That's why they say the Masters really starts on the back 9 on Sunday. And folks like Norman, Mcilroy, Speith, and now Molinari can attest to that.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Eh, it's the easiest major to win.

I didn't think it was the greatest Sunday ever. 1998, 2002, 2004 and others were more exciting to me at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports