Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times

Advertisements

If you care about animals so much go eat a tofu dinner everyday. Make real choices in your life to reduce animal cruelty, posting misinformed opinions on the internet does not stop animal cruelty. Walk the walk before you talk the talk. The fact is that you are involved with animal cruelty yourself so stop trying to point fingers at others. Horse racing is not animal cruelty, only in a state of ignorance could someone believe that.

Before you start attacking people and telling them to go read you need to work on your English skills. It is "you are a hypocrite" not "your a hypocrite". I try to avoid getting personal on here but you left me with no choice.

The fact is that racehorses are treated better than any other pet or livestock out there. A good example is the care for horses like derby morning line favorite I Want Revenge who was scratched out of the derby. His care will be tremendous, from the best medication, to physical therapy to a nice paddock when he is done racing. His owners are even building an animal hospital outside of Belmont Park. These are the facts from knowledgeable people not "cut and paste I want to look better than you on the internet crusaders".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Do you eat horses? No, dumb argument.

Once again READ, because all you seem to post is your opinion on the matter. Apparently facts mean nothing to you. I guess when your stuck in the sad little world where making money off horses comes before their welfare I could see why you would ignore facts.

See thats whats funny. Your a hypocrite. Your giving your opinion on everything, you have presented ZERO facts to back up what you call an argument. I have given news articles detailing the injuries. maybe you never learned this but it's something called research, you should give a try some time. You won't because you care about money not about horses, which is very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,056 times
Quote:
I have also found by whats called reading, give it a shot sometime, that horses that age are to young to be racing.

The vet you like to quote (Dr. Larry Bramlage of Rood and Riddle) disagrees with you:

"For some time, veteran veterinarian and surgeon Dr. Larry Bramlage has taken the stand that racing young horses is beneficial to their growth and health. This racing theory was recently confirmed by Dr. Sheila Lyons, an equine sports medicine expert who is based in Florida and Kentucky and has conducted studies on muscle hypertension. Dr. Bramlage stated that racing two-year-olds was actually beneficial to their growth. He said, "As soon as Thoroughbreds are physically mature, they should start effective training. It is most desirable not to let the bone formation apparatus atrophy after growth and then require it to be re-created," (U.S. Today newspaper, sports, May 6, 2008).

Keep in mind that different breeds of horses have different growth rates....light breeds (and thoroughbreds are considered a light breed) mature quite quickly....at six months of age, they have 85% of their height already. The same goes for weight - by 22 months of age they achieve 90% of their weight.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Quote:
Do you eat horses? No, dumb argument.

Once again READ, because all you seem to post is your opinion on the matter. Apparently facts mean nothing to you. I guess when your stuck in the sad little world where making money off horses comes before their welfare I could see why you would ignore facts.

See thats whats funny. Your a hypocrite. Your giving your opinion on everything, you have presented ZERO facts to back up what you call an argument. I have given news articles detailing the injuries. maybe you never learned this but it's something called research, you should give a try some time. You won't because you care about money not about horses, which is very sad.

I don't know why I'm even responding to this, I feel like I'm talking with a 10 yr old. I'm not giving you my opinion on anything, I'm giving you FACTS from personal experience. Unlike you I don't have to do research and dig up old news articles to show people. I was working with race horses and treating injuries several years before you were ever born. Now go Google yourself some more articles to post.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
[/b]

I don't know why I'm even responding to this, I feel like I'm talking with a 10 yr old. I'm not giving you my opinion on anything, I'm giving you FACTS from personal experience. Unlike you I don't have to do research and dig up old news articles to show people. I was working with race horses and treating injuries several years before you were ever born. Now go Google yourself some more articles to post.

Ahh so your opinion is now considered fact,laughable. Heres what your saying, "you post articles from people who are knowledgeable on the subject but thats garbage. I know more then them because I have a horse." Maybe reading that will help you to see who STUPID your "argument" if you can even call it that, is. Hard to imagine how you go through life with head in a** diease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
If you care about animals so much go eat a tofu dinner everyday.
Maybe I'm using to many big words. Do you eat horses? I don't so don't make a VERY STUPID argument that you can't love horses if you eat meat. One of the dumber arguments I have seen in a while.

Quote:
A good example is the care for horses like derby morning line favorite I Want Revenge who was scratched out of the derby. His care will be tremendous, from the best medication, to physical therapy to a nice paddock when he is done racing. His owners are even building an animal hospital outside of Belmont Park.

Logic give it a shot, of course look who I'm talking to. If the horse wasn't in racing he would not have had to be treated for this injury. If you don't race horses then those 5,000 who died since 2003 might not have died. Maybe take a class at a community college you know how to have some common sense 101.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Quote:
Ahh so your opinion is now considered fact,laughable. Heres what your saying, "you post articles from people who are knowledgeable on the subject but thats garbage. I know more then them because I have a horse." Maybe reading that will help you to see who STUPID your "argument" if you can even call it that, is. Hard to imagine how you go through life with head in a** diease.

Maybe I'm using to many big words. Do you eat horses? I don't so don't make a VERY STUPID argument that you can't love horses if you eat meat. One of the dumber arguments I have seen in a while.

Logic give it a shot, of course look who I'm talking to. If the horse wasn't in racing he would not have had to be treated for this injury. If you don't race horses then those 5,000 who died since 2003 might not have died. Maybe take a class at a community college you know how to have some common sense 101.
I see you didn't respond to post #92, because it made you look like a fool.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:21 PM

Default refs control basketball not the players

Here is a good example of a ref making a arbitrary decision (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090510/sp_nm/us_nba - broken link)that cost the team a game. In some of these boring ball sports the refs decide the games and not the players. Sometimes they call the foul sometimes they don't. After getting into a deeply intellectual game like racing and it is hard go back to the shallow end of the sports spectrum with the mister turtle pool of the sports world, basketball. It is foolish to put monetary or emotional stock into a game that requires so much outside interference from referees. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If a ref is making "arbitrary" decisions that are negatively impacting a game, he is a bad ref and will be out of a job shortly.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:13 AM

Default TV Ratings

The derby did very well on TV and outgamed every other sports show on TV last weekend.

1. Kentucky Derby-Saturday-NBC-9.8
2. Bulls-Celtics Game 7-Saturday-TNT-4.4
3. NASCAR-Saturday-FOX-4.0
4. PGA Tour-Sunday-CBS-3.7
5. Mavericks-Nuggets Game 1-Sunday-ABC-3.2

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Here is a good example of a ref making a arbitrary decision (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090510/sp_nm/us_nba - broken link)that cost the team a game. In some of these boring ball sports the refs decide the games and not the players. Sometimes they call the foul sometimes they don't. After getting into a deeply intellectual game like racing and it is hard go back to the shallow end of the sports spectrum with the mister turtle pool of the sports world, basketball. It is foolish to put monetary or emotional stock into a game that requires so much outside interference from referees. .

First, a referee can never decide a game. The players decide the game. Players miss way more shots, turnover possession, strikeout, fall, drop passes, and many more mistakes way more often than a ref makes an error. The article you post says the ref decided the game but if you look at the box score of that game, you will see that the teams missed dozens of shots, more than a few free throws, and had a good deal of turnovers. Those mistakes by the PLAYERS cost the losing team the game. Not one mistake by a referee.

Second, racing is not intellectual. Horses or cars or whatever going around in a circle or oval is not intellectual. Not only is not intellectual, it is the complete opposite. It is about as simple of a competition as it gets.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Default raacing is the sport of kings

Didn't you admit that you work as a financial consultant? I hope you don't give your clients the same brand of informed advice that you have provided in this thread. No wonder so many lost so much in the markets. It should be compulsory that financial consultants like yourself follow horse racing as it is the ultimate study of probability and human behavior in relation to chaotic events.

There is so much to glean about the world from following those animals and their form cycles. There is so much to learn from the people that play the game and their group-think reactions to really good or really bad performances. Racing is the deep end of the sports pool while sports like football and basketball are like the Mr. Turtle Pool of the sports world. They won't say it on ESPN but those ball sports are light entertainment for simpletons. The programming is designed to get as many people to consume as many TV commercials as possible. There was a time when no grown man would stand for such shallow, simple entertainment. Back then racing was king, now it is the domain of the select few who desire something more.

Following racing is such an intellectual study that an entire industry is dedicated to helping horse race fans get an edge on each other. There are handicapping computer programs, mathematically based sheets which grade the horses races on a number scale, a racing form with unrivaled detailed statistics on each race and tout sheets giving out winners for those not sharp enough to have their own opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Second, racing is not intellectual. Horses or cars or whatever going around in a circle or oval is not intellectual. Not only is not intellectual, it is the complete opposite. It is about as simple of a competition as it gets.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 AM

Applying financial services philosophy to horses racing. Following racing will help improve your performance at work if you are a financial consultant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I also work in financial services and have had clients that own horses and had to get into their expenses they had caring for their horses. No, I dont have personal experience in it but I have talked to enough people that do to have an idea of how expensive it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports