Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:46 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Sorry but if you mean to say horses were born this way is ridiculous. Breeders have made the horse so strong and muscular that it's frame can't support the weight and stress from it. They may be bred to run but not when they have genetically enhanced to the point where their ankles snap under their own weight.
exactly how many ankles snap each year so that the horses have to be put down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
exactly how many ankles snap each year so that the horses have to be put down?

thoroughbreds have weak ankles, which I thought was commonly known. The logic is pretty simple here, if you keep adding muscle onto a frame that can't support it, what happens????? Eight Bells

Quote:
Eight Belles had broken both ankles, requiring the 3-year-old filly to be euthanized on the spot.
Link

Quote:
Horses are being over-bred and over-raced, until their bodies cannot support their own ambitions, or those of the humans who race them. Barbaro and Eight Belles merely are the most famous horses who have fatally injured themselves. On Friday, a colt named Chelokee, trained by Barbaro's trainer Michael Matz, dislocated an ankle during an undercard for the Kentucky Oaks and was given a 50 percent chance of survival. According to several estimates, there are 1.5 career-ending breakdowns for every 1,000 racing starts in the United States. That's an average of two per day.

Link

The OP can save the BS about how this is a great "sport", when it's only to please people like themselves. When all the facts say something and you ignore it, thats true ignorance.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
thoroughbreds have weak ankles, which I thought was commonly known. The logic is pretty simple here, if you keep adding muscle onto a frame that can't support it, what happens????? Eight Bells

you made the blanket statement that TB's are "genetically enhanced to the point where their ankles snap under their own weight".

I asked the question - exactly how many horses are put down each year because their ankles have snapped? You have not answered the question.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
you made the blanket statement that TB's are "genetically enhanced to the point where their ankles snap under their own weight".

I asked the question - exactly how many horses are put down each year because their ankles have snapped? You have not answered the question.

Because there aren't definitive numbers on that. Sorry but I thought you could use logic, obviously I was mistaken. I guess the simple concept of to much weight on a frame is a bad thing to complicated for some to understand. If you cared to read the articles, which obviously you did not, you would have seen the majority of horse breakdowns are from their legs. Hey why try to understand when post after post you have shown you could give a rats a@# about the horses.

Quote:
. Thoroughbreds are muscularly more powerful than ever, but their bone skeletons seem to be getting lighter and frail.
Hope you weren't betting on the favorite I want Revenge, because they pulled it from the race. Care to guess why? It's ankle.

Further proof, but you will ignore it because thats what the IGNORANT do.

Last edited by Packersnut21; 05-02-2009 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 AM

If there are no definitive numbers, then how can you prove your statement? And yes - I would certainly agree the majority of breakdowns are from their legs, since they are not running on their heads, LOL !
Your latest statement claiming that we don't care about the horses is almost funny (if it wasn't so rude), considering you have no idea who some of the people on here actually are, nor about the work that they do to help animals, equines included.

Yes, IWR was scratched due to some heat in his ankle....kudos to his connections for the scratch. Are you saying that race horses should never expect to have inflammation while they are training?

Maybe I should go talk to the eleven year old TB I'm looking at right now out of my window, who had 62 starts and raced until he was eight, and now has a career as a jumper. He doesn't know he is supposed to have weak ankles and already be dead .

geesh....enjoy your Derby Day...!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
If there are no definitive numbers, then how can you prove your statement? And yes - I would certainly agree the majority of breakdowns are from their legs, since they are not running on their heads, LOL !
Your latest statement claiming that we don't care about the horses is almost funny (if it wasn't so rude), considering you have no idea who some of the people on here actually are, nor about the work that they do to help animals, equines included.

Yes, IWR was scratched due to some heat in his ankle....kudos to his connections for the scratch. Are you saying that race horses should never expect to have inflammation while they are training?

Maybe I should go talk to the eleven year old TB I'm looking at right now out of my window, who had 62 starts and raced until he was eight, and now has a career as a jumper. He doesn't know he is supposed to have weak ankles and already be dead .

geesh....enjoy your Derby Day...!

Your statements prove you don't care about horse. Unless someone could be so dense to just ignore the fact that 5,000 horses have died as a result from racing. As you said they don't race on their head and their bones are the weakest part so maybe use some logic here and you would come up with their legs break. Not hard to figure out. If I gave you 2 + 2= I would hope you would come up with the answer but, adding more muscle + fragile frame = and you can't seem to figure that out so I guess there is no hope.

Go ahead and tell me you see a horse that started alot of races, that does not change the fact, and I say it again because you ignore it or just don't read it, 5,000 horses have died since 2003 because of horse racing.

The fact that you have Barbaro one year, Eight Bells another, and Never surrender this year all either die or pulled because of leg injuries, might be a clue. Call me rude I don't care, I take it as a complement in not the type of person who make horses carry weight around that they weren't naturally meant to so I could make some money. I guess I love horses more than money.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Your statements prove you don't care about horse.
oh, good grief....exactly which statement that I've made proves I don't care about horses? Please. show me.....

Last edited by Toria; 05-02-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Hold Me Back: here is a pre-race record of my longshot prediction. If correct, I win....the satisfaction of being right.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:13 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Yeah! I was wrong!

Glad to see the underdog, uh, underhorse win!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm sorry but horses running in a circle is not the most exciting thing in sports because horse racing is not a sport. Even if it was a sport, I could think of hundreds of things more exciting than that.

I am certainly not a horse racing fan but that was a thrilling race; . But I guess there are always some sour pusses around.More people are killed on the highways than wars;but that doesn't seem to make people stop. How about taking your protest to to open highways and letting us watch you run.Besides these horses live a life of lururry compared tot eh priavtely owned horses that are abused;neglacted and often not even feed by the thousdnads and yes they are often put down too. Just as dogs are and cats .

Last edited by texdav; 05-02-2009 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports