Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I am a Red Sox Fan. I go back to the 2003 ALCS, I emotionally drained watch Tim Wakefield throw a very bad knuckleball thats got deposited in the upper deck, we lost by one run. It's hard to describe the feeling, I would say being kicked in the grapes but thats only half of it.

In the 2004 ALCS in game 3 we lost 19-8 to the Yanks. I like most thought the seires was over but was emotionally killed like last time, I was PISSED.

WIth close losses you look at everything and say ifonly this, maybe we could have won. In blow out it seems it's like we had no chance.
Im confused.

You live in Kentucky, support the Boston Red Sox, Texas Longhorns, and Green Bay Packers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post

WIth close losses you look at everything and say ifonly this, maybe we could have won.

In blow out it seems it's like we had no chance.
Exactly.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im confused.

You live in Kentucky, support the Boston Red Sox, Texas Longhorns, and Green Bay Packers?

Sorry but this gets old for me to explain to everyone. I'm a military brat so I have lived in a bunch of states. Born in Texas (Longhorns), Father from Wisconsin (born into the Packers), Lived in New England a few years while growing up so became a Sox fan. I also spent years in Chicago when my pop got out of the military so I follow the Blackhawks and Bulls. Weird as it maybe I love my teams.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
I think getting blown out would be way worse. I'll never forget the 1995 National Championship when Nebraska put a 62-24 whupping on the FL Gators. It was cruel and inhumane to witness as a fan, I just coudn't imagine what it felt like for the Gator players.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:55 PM

551 posts, read 1,924,903 times
As a longtme softball, baseball, soccer coach, I have to say it depends on the caliber of team we played. If we played a better team and lost by one then, heartbreak aside, I can handle it. If we play a worse team and get blown out then it sucks. Plus, from a coaching aspect, it is easier to build off of the close loss. I was blown out this season by a team that has never beat me. My kids were so let down during and after the game that there was nothing to build on. We just had to forget about the game and prepare for the next game. No lesson learned. With that said, i guess if I had to lose, I'd rather it be by one point........as a side note, I cannot do paragraphs. Any suggestions?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,745 times
Yeah i would rather lose by one than get manhandled the whole thing

Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Interesting there is such a split of opinions.

When the Lakers got swept by Philly back in the early 80s (Magic and Coop were hurt) that didn't hurt. Philly was just awesome that year with Malone, Toney, and Dr. J. Hats off to them. They were unbeatable. No big deal to lose to them.
When the Lakers lost game 7 to Boston in 1984, that was beyond horrible.
When USC lost to Texas (Vince Young) a couple years ago that was beyond horrible.
When the Dodgers lost in the bottom of the ninth to the Giants and the Cardinals back in the 1980s that was horrible.
When the Angels lost to Boston in 1986 that was horrible.
When the Redskins killed the LA Rams in the NFC championship game that was no big deal. Ironically, a couple weeks later the LA Raiders killed the Redskins in the Superbowl.

Boston Fans: Would have rather been swept by the Mets rather than by Buckner's error?
New England Fans, would you have rather have been blown out than lose on a last couple of seconds plays to the Giants in the Superbowl?
1972 Olympics: Would you have rather have lost by 20 to the USSR or lose the funky way the US did (three more seconds, three more seconds, three more seconds)?
Buffalo Bills fans: Would you have rather been blown out or lose they way you did when that kicker missed the field goal?
Buffalo Sabres fans: Would you have rather lost by many goals or by "No Goal" against Dallas?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Sadly with the Wide Right Buffalo was winning at the half. So in other words. i am adding C. Hold off for the win.

No Goal also wasn't really ares or Dallas' fault. The Refs screwed that one up. Once again adding C. Refs playing fair and review the goal, and make the right call

Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
For me losing by 1 hurts more, you can handle getting blown out but losing by one you would always be questioning the 'what ifs'.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:24 AM

TRUE... True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports