Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 AM

167 posts, read 435,047 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that whenever the NCAA tournament plays games in NYC, ESPN always calls the city the BBall capital, but why? Aside from ESPN's east coast bias they always say that, but Knicks havent won since the '70s, and theirs no college power in the city. LA probably has better credentials to be a capital than NYC. You got the Lakers and Bruins, legendary figures like Magic, Kareem, Baylor, Worthy, Wilt, Jerry West, Kobe, Shaq, John Wooden, Chick Hern all made their names here and schools like Westchester, Fairfax, and Crenshaw are basketball factories. Hell even Boston has better history than NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
I'm sure they are talking about playground basketball....a lot of great players came/come from the city of NYC including Kareem

Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 AM

521 posts, read 1,628,986 times
Why is NYC considered the BBall capital?

its not. I'm with noid - if they ever do, its more in the context of playground basketball

Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM

347 posts, read 649,943 times
I definitely have a heavy NYC bias when it comes to basketball. But I also realize that most of the talent comes from cities and regions outside of New York: it's not like NYC has a monopoly on playground or pro-potential talent in any way, shape, or form.

So why is NYC considered the basketball capital? Well, as others have mentioned, the East Coast bias and basketball politics has a lot to do with it. I mean, I'm sure Lou Carneseca of St. Johns was great and all, but I really cannot believe he was better or greater than a lot of college coaches who were out there. Yet, he is always prominently featured in the Hall-of-Fame and whenever cameras show him in the stands, and broadcasters gush about how great he was.

But what does the NYC have that nobody else has? It is home to the main offices of the NBA. Almost all the main operations are located around here. The NBA draft takes place here, the lottery takes place in East Rutherford, and MSG is almost universally regarded as the mecca of pro as well as college basketball. Not to mention, of course, the huge media presence that dwarfs the media presence of every other city, bar none.

So just like any other industry, the NBA and David Stern probably just feel that a large city with a huge number of connections is the best place to keep your main offices in. That, and the fact that David Stern was and always will be a Knick fan.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
IDK really. I think its more like a tie between cities like NYC, LA, Philly, Bay Area, and The Chi.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
it's a title they've worn for decades and it's just stuck - the history is steeped in playground summer leagues, strong college presence, city championships, home of the NIT (at the time the big college championship) and even one of the biggest point shaving scandals, etc

in the formative years of the sport NYC was a leader in developing the game

although, a lot of it has fallen off and is basically nostalgia now

Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
I know Spike Lee goes to Knicks games and there's that famous neighborhood court in the movies and commercials, but basketball is just as much associated with Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina as it is the great big city.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:27 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
One reason MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
It's fascinating to read a bunch of postings by people who evidently don't know much basketball history. If you can only go back as far as the 70s or 80s, then I can see why people in other parts of the country might object to New York being called the "basketball capital." Open up a history book, learn about the game.

As for LA, it's kind of funny to think of a transplant team representing anything like a basketball capital. Yeah, I said transplant. Check your atlas: there's not a lake within hundreds of miles of Los Angeles. Where do you think the name came from? The team was born in Minneapolis. (Can you say, George Mikan?)

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Exactly, you have to read up on history to know why. Maybe it's a bit outdated but you can't forget the past. And FYI, Kobe never went to Indiana or Boston or LA to play street ball. He went to Rucker Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's fascinating to read a bunch of postings by people who evidently don't know much basketball history. If you can only go back as far as the 70s or 80s, then I can see why people in other parts of the country might object to New York being called the "basketball capital." Open up a history book, learn about the game.

As for LA, it's kind of funny to think of a transplant team representing anything like a basketball capital. Yeah, I said transplant. Check your atlas: there's not a lake within hundreds of miles of Los Angeles. Where do you think the name came from? The team was born in Minneapolis. (Can you say, George Mikan?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports