Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times

Advertisements

For your sports teams, who do you root for.

All the Mass teams..

1. Patriots
2. Red Sox
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

5. Miami Hurricanes - College Football - Didnt watch NCAA football till I met a local Arena player from the U. He took a bunch of us to a game and they became my defacto team.

6. UNC Tarheels - College Basketball - Didnt like NCAA basketball till I moved to the south. EVERYONE near me was a Duke fan...made me sick so I started rooting for UNC. Then my roommate was a UNC diehard also so it worked out well.

7. Tony Stewart .... because he talks smack and isnt afraid to wreck Jeff Gordon! LOL

How about everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
1. Kansas City Wizards - MLS
2. US Men's National Soccer Team - International Soccer
3. KU Jayhawk Basketball - NCAA Basketball
4. Green Bay Packers - NFL
5. Everton - English Premier League

I follow NHL but dont really have a favorite team. Ironically, two teams I rooted for when I was younger were the Red Wings and Penquins. I am waiting for KC to finally get a team before I commit to one.

I dont follow the NBA at all and could care less about any of the teams.

I dont follow MLB too closely but I support the St. Louis Cardinals first and the Kansas City Royals second.

In soccer I tend to root for the Irish National Team, Spanish National Team, and Athletico Madrid in Spain but not enough to list them.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
1 - NFL - Seattle Seahawks
2 - NHL - San Jose Sharks
3 - MLB - Florida Marlins
4 - NBA - Seattle SuperSonics
5 - CFB - Miami Hurricanes (although there are a bunch of schools I like to see do well - many are smaller programs)
6 - CBB - Duke Blue Devils - also many other smaller programs I enjoy
7 - Soccer - Rochester Rhinos - don't really have an MLS alliance but may go for the sounders or salt lake - EPL I like chelsea
8 - Nascar - not the biggest fan, but I do like Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick and Martin Truex Jr

Old 06-17-2009, 01:39 PM

How do you like a different division I school from basketball and football? That is kind of bandwagon if you ask me. If you have an allegiance to a school, you have an allegiance to that school.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
not at all - major college athletics are just that - major

they are marketed as stand alone products and are a huge business

i have loyalty to all the athletic programs of my alma mater (which doesn't have a football team) - however aside from that I have no affiliation with any of these other schools other than I like what they do in that particular sport

many people don't even go to college - why would they be forced to like all programs at one university as their absolute favorite?!

also many kids pick teams pretty young

now I like to see duke FB and miami BB do well ....... but when they face each other my top team is my top team and it's been that way since I was really young ..... not going to change now

that would be like saying that liking the wizards and packers isn't right because they are from different cities ...... the city though doesn't bind the team any more than a university location - the teams are representative of a university or city, but are also very much their own entity

Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times
I never said I had an allegence to the school, I said I root for that particular program. Had I been an alum of the school thats a totally different story. I cant see how someone has "two" baseball teams, to me thats illogical, but I'm from MASS so to us anything but the SOX is crazy. LOL

Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I follow NHL but dont really have a favorite team. Ironically, two teams I rooted for when I was younger were the Red Wings and Penquins. I am waiting for KC to finally get a team before I commit to one.

I dont follow the NBA at all and could care less about any of the teams.
as you know, kansas city has been making a strong push for an NBA or NHL team to be the anchor tenant for the sprint center. because of kc's size (about 2 million residents in the metropolitan area) and the fact that there are already 3 major league sports teams in town (chiefs, royals, wizards), the general belief is that the city can only support one more top-level pro sports team - either in the NBA or the NHL, but not both.

suppose kc lands an NBA team, and that this completely eliminates the possibility of an NHL team coming to town. would you support your local basketball team out of civic pride, or would you still have no interest in following the NBA? just curious.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
NHL- Carolina Hurricanes, love em to death.
NBA- Dallas Mavericks, used to be a Hornet fan when they played in Charlotte.
NCAA- NCSU Wolfpack, I go to at least one football and basketball game a year. Also like UNC-Charlotte, and some smaller programs
NFL- Not really loyal to any team, but do follow the NCSU players. Was a Panthers fan, not so much lately.
MLB- Again not loyal to any team, but do like the Rangers and Cubs.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:58 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
NFL: Bears and 49ers (NFC), Steelers and Patriots (AFC)
NBA: Bulls and Lakers
MLB: Cubs and Yankees
NHL: I don't follow
Nascar: I don't follow
CBB: Marquette Warriors (current name sucks), UCLA Bruins, Arizona Wildcats
CFB: USC Trojans, Northwestern Wildcats

Sport I am most loyal to --> Boxing

Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I never said I had an allegence to the school, I said I root for that particular program. Had I been an alum of the school thats a totally different story. I cant see how someone has "two" baseball teams, to me thats illogical, but I'm from MASS so to us anything but the SOX is crazy. LOL

I dont care for baseball that much so I dont really have two baseball teams. I just wish those teams well because they are closest to me. Honestly, when it comes down to it, I could care less.

If I was an actual baseball fan, I would only have one team though.

That's why I didnt list a baseball team in my numbered list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports