Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times

Advertisements

YouTube - ZENYATTA - 2009 Breeders Cup Classic + Post Race

Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
I prefer dogs catching frisbees, thank you...

Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times
uh horse racing aint a sport. its as bad as poker. the horse yes an athlete but for people get real. anyone can sit on a horse while it trots. i'll stick to my hockey, football, and nascar.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
uh horse racing aint a sport. its as bad as poker. the horse yes an athlete but for people get real. anyone can sit on a horse while it trots. i'll stick to my hockey, football, and nascar.

I'm not defending horse racing as I dont view it as a sport either and definitely not the greatest event in sports.

But, NASCAR is the same thing except for it's cars instead of horses. It is people driving cars around an oval. That is no better than horse racing.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:11 AM

555 posts, read 1,573,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm not defending horse racing as I dont view it as a sport either and definitely not the greatest event in sports.

But, NASCAR is the same thing except for it's cars instead of horses. It is people driving cars around an oval. That is no better than horse racing.
NASCAR is a physical sport. They take 4-5 G's all race long and go though temperatures over 150 degrees. Plus if you aren't physically fit, then you aren't going to last through the entire race, as your muscles literally turn to mush and you lose 10 pounds in fluids due to sweating. You have to have good reflexes and strong mentality also.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
NASCAR is a physical sport. They take 4-5 G's all race long and go though temperatures over 150 degrees. Plus if you aren't physically fit, then you aren't going to last through the entire race, as your muscles literally turn to mush and you lose 10 pounds in fluids due to sweating. You have to have good reflexes and strong mentality also.
I'm not a fan of either kind of racing, though I'll watch a horse race if it's on TV and I happen to come across it.

Sorry, but it's harder to ride a horse fast than it is to drive a car fast.

I've driven 1000 miles in a day, going over 120 for portions of the ride...I did not find it at all difficult. The car does all the work.

There's a reason why Jockeys do so many drugs and have so many physical problems, it's actually a very tough sport on their bodies to race that fast.

Have you ever ridden a horse? Well, riding a horse on a leisurely stroll in the countryside is tiring enough, you can be sure that racing one is tough on the mind and body.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM

555 posts, read 1,573,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
I've driven 1000 miles in a day, going over 120 for portions of the ride...I did not find it at all difficult. The car does all the work.
And your point is? Unless you drove a race car 1000 miles, then you're comparing apples to oranges.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
I thought this thread would be about what the best sporting event to attend is. My vote goes to a golf major, you get to walk around, get really close to the events participants, and you are outdoors in nature. I have been to world series games, playoff NFL/NBA/NHL and I can say while they were all really cool, nothing compared to going to a PGA major event. (I attended the PGA Championship in Medina in 06, or was it 07...?)

Old 11-09-2009, 02:54 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I thought this thread would be about what the best sporting event to attend is. My vote goes to a golf major, you get to walk around, get really close to the events participants, and you are outdoors in nature. I have been to world series games, playoff NFL/NBA/NHL and I can say while they were all really cool, nothing compared to going to a PGA major event. (I attended the PGA Championship in Medina in 06, or was it 07...?)
Actually, the original poster was making a claim that a specific horse race was the greatest sporting event of the year. This is the same poster that claimed earlier this year that the Kentucky Derby was the most exciting 2 minutes in sports.

We hijacked the thread because he is about the only person on this forum that cares about horse racing.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default hijack cont

We learned two things in this thread. There is no accounting for taste and it sure is lonely at the top.

You had to be there at Santa Anita, the crowd absolutely exploded when this undefeated mare took down this $5 billion race. Zenyatta has a huge following in California. On paper she was facing the most challenging field of her career, she was facing a large field and a distance she never ran at. Everything was against her and she won anyway. She looked beaten at the top of the lane and called on all her courage to overhaul them all. It was not a simple sports game where only one team needed to be be defeated, she took down 11 others and she retired undefeated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Actually, the original poster was making a claim that a specific horse race was the greatest sporting event of the year. This is the same poster that claimed earlier this year that the Kentucky Derby was the most exciting 2 minutes in sports.

We hijacked the thread because he is about the only person on this forum that cares about horse racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports