Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,109,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Ice Dancing might not be your cup of tea but it certainly is a sport and demands hours of training and hard work, like most any sport. The costumes are part of the sport - like em or not. I like watching the finals but didn't watch the prelims. Not every sport is one's cup of tea...curling??? Nope, don't get it don't watch it. Nor can I watch hours of x-country skiing, hockey or ski jumping that doesn't mean it's not a sport.

The beauty of the Olympics is there is usually something for everyone, if you don't care for a sport don't watch it.
My problem with ice dancing is that it is redundant. We already have pairs figure skating. (And yes, I feel the same way about "rythmic gymastics"---the floor exercises take care of that). I do agree that both are "pretty" sports; I just feel they are best left for exhibition instead of competition.

I agree about choosing not to watch. As I said above "Battle Lemon" was a really great episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,109,088 times
And I'm The Queen of England! :

In Plushenko's mind (and website), he's the platinum medal winner - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/In-Plushenko-s-mind-and-website-he-s-the-plat?urn=oly,221408 - broken link)

You can agree with the judges or you can disagree with the judges. But changing reality? Not likely.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,259,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
And I'm The Queen of England! :

In Plushenko's mind (and website), he's the platinum medal winner - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/In-Plushenko-s-mind-and-website-he-s-the-plat?urn=oly,221408 - broken link)

You can agree with the judges or you can disagree with the judges. But changing reality? Not likely.
What a scumbag. Seriously. Have some class...and while you're at it, some dignity as well.

The guy is arrogant and was clearly not as well-prepared for the Games as some of the other athletes. It's a testament to his talent that he was able to do as well as he did with as little preparation as he had, but it did seem that he thought that the gold was a fait accompli as soon as he stepped on the ice. Sorry Plushie, you have to EARN it, and you didn't. Evan Lysacek did. Shut up and accept it, and if you want another gold...WORK FOR IT. I think his recent behavior is an embarrassment to the sport, and bravo to Lysacek for rising above it and taking the high road in the face of blistering...and completely unjustified...criticism.

Figure skating is a JUDGED sport and every competitor knows the rules when they step onto the ice. The spectators know it too. If you think it's not "fair" then feel free to participate in/watch a different sport like bobsled or cross-country skiing, where it is 100% about speed and nothing else.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,360,292 times
Quote:
My problem with ice dancing is that it is redundant. We already have pairs figure skating. (And yes, I feel the same way about "rythmic gymastics"---the floor exercises take care of that). I do agree that both are "pretty" sports; I just feel they are best left for exhibition instead of competition.
Ice Dancing is only one of 3 events in figure skating - singles, pairs and ice dancing...how many ski jump events are there or x-country skiing? I think those events have way way more redundancy.

I was thrilled for the US winning the nordic combined Silver!!!

And Oh man the Dutch coach who told Sven Kramer to move to the wrong lane and get him disqualified, should think about going into hiding, his coaching days are over in the Netherlands. If I were him I wouldn't return to the Holland, I'd just keep on going. Speed skating is there national sport and he goofed up really big time!

The new ski cross is wild...LOL, I'm glad the Canadian Woman won!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,025,530 times
Quote:

...And Oh man the Dutch coach who told Sven Kramer to move to the wrong lane and get him disqualified, should think about going into hiding, his coaching days are over in the Netherlands. If I were him I wouldn't return to the Holland, I'd just keep on going. Speed skating is there national sport and he goofed up really big time!...
Had to laugh at the irony on that one, considering Kramer's snarky response to the naive question from the NBC reporter earlier in the games...

Gold medalist Sven Kramer to NBC reporter: 'Are you stupid?' - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Gold-medalist-Sven-Kramer-to-NBC-reporter-Are-?urn=oly,220576 - broken link)

ain't karma a beee-atch Sven?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,360,292 times
On an interesting side note, here's a clip about how the medals were designed and made:

Vancouver 2010 Medals : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,467,023 times
Quote:
As I said above "Battle Lemon" was a really great episode.
It very well might have been. But this is the Olympics thread...not "what would you rather watch than the Olympics" thread. As said before, there's something for everyone in tv land and to each his/her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sorry Plushie, you have to EARN it, and you didn't. Evan Lysacek did. Shut up and accept it, and if you want another gold...WORK FOR IT.
Didn't somebody in this thread post about how the Russians should've paid off the French judge? Maybe that's what Plushenko was expecting, no matter how he skated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
...irony...considering Kramer's snarky response to the naive question from the NBC reporter earlier in the games...
I saw his interview on dutch television (subtitled)...he was still pretty smart alecky about the whole thing, and the interviewer made some remark about how the 'ignorant' reporter was an American, not Canadian. So, even the Dutch can goof up their national past time, it seems.

Thank you for posting, Returning West...that's a great video. I really like the idea that each individual medal is part of the whole design; individually incomplete without all the others. Just beautiful ~

Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,183,400 times
Quote:
And Oh man the Dutch coach who told Sven Kramer to move to the wrong lane and get him disqualified, should think about going into hiding, his coaching days are over in the Netherlands. If I were him I wouldn't return to the Holland, I'd just keep on going. Speed skating is there national sport and he goofed up really big time!
Yeah, I feel bad for the coach. I saw on the news today that he said it was the worst day of his life.

Honestly, I don't feel so bad for ol' Sven. I guess it's the mean part of me, but between how he's acted with the reporters and the classy way he treated the coach in public after that mistake, I don't feel quite so bad for him.

Awful thing all the way around, though.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM

26,204 posts, read 49,000,624 times
Who are the idiots at NBC running the coverage?

Mammoth Ice Hockey game between Canada and Russia, and what did they have on MSNBC (pre-Olbermann)? CURLING! Gimme a break.

At 7PM the main NBC channel here in COLO SPGS went to Olympic coverage, and NO mention of this hockey game. Just reruns of Vonn's crash and lots of other stuff. As if the USA is the only nation in the Olympics.

Tonight at 9PM, after initial broadcasts of Olbermann and Maddow are over, MSNBC will RERUN both Olbermann and Maddow.

Could NBC screw it up worse than this? Same network that screwed up Leno / O'Brien.

For Pete's sake, pull NBC's license to broadcast.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,241,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Who are the idiots at NBC running the coverage?

For Pete's sake, pull NBC's license to broadcast.
Oh for crying out loud! Knock it off --

I have watched Hockey, Skiing, Apollo Ohno, and lots of other things

Just because YOU are not satisfied is tough - lots of others are satisfied.

Get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports