Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,491,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
the reason i'm asking is because i'm interested to see if there are any areas of the country where the current popularity of the local sports teams does not correlate to the relative popularity of the sports leagues. in other words, some cities might be baseball towns at heart, but the local football team might be more popular at the moment.
I'd think Indianapolis is Exhibit A for what you're talking about. Indiana is always thought of for basketball and auto racing. Right now, however, the number one franchise around here is the Indianapolis Colts (for obvious reasons). So, I would put things in this order for Indy:

1. Colts (NFL)
2. Pacers (NBA)
3. IU
4. Purdue
5. Auto racing (NASCAR and IRL mostly. NASCAR is probably equal in stature).
6. Butler basketball (I think most folks want to see Butler win, but it's a small school, so the real passionate fan base is small).

MLB does has a sizable following here even though Indy has not team. The Reds and Cubs have the largest followings with the Cardinals and White Sox having some fans, too. There's the usual Yankees and Sawks bandwaggoners, too.

NHL fever is almost non-existent here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:36 PM

623 posts, read 1,536,501 times
Chattanooga/tri-state area:

Teams:
1. Tennessee Vols Football
2. Tennessee Titans
3. Tennessee Vols Men's Basketball
4. Atlanta Braves
5. Georgia Bulldogs Football
6. Alabama Crimson Tide Football
7. Chattanooga Mocs Football
8. Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball
9. Atlanta Falcons
10. Chattanooga Mocs Basketball

Leagues:
1. College Football
2. NFL
3. Nascar
4. College Basketball
5. PGA
6. MLB
7. HS Football
8. Collegiate Softball
9. Southern League Baseball (AA)
10. NBA

Old 12-31-2009, 01:39 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,425,935 times
Fort Wayne area, Indiana
--------------------------------
1. Fort Wayne Komets hockey
2. Indiana Hoosiers basketball
3. Chicago Bears gridiron
4. Indianapolis Colts gridiron (although, popularity fluctuates as Colts fans tend to be HUGE bandwagon jumpers)
5. Chicago Cubs baseball
6. Notre Dame Irish gridiron
7. Whomever won the previous Super Bowl (NFL)
8. Purdue Boilermakers basketball
9. New York Yankees baseball
10. Detroit Red Wings hockey
11. Purdue Boilermakers gridiron
12. Fort Wayne Tincaps baseball
13. Chicago White Sox baseball
14. Detroit Lions gridiron
15. Indiana Pacers basketball

Leagues:
1. NASCAR
2. NFL
3. High school basketball
4. NCAA Basketball
5. High school gridiron
6. NHL
7. NCAA Gridiron
8. MLB
9. IHL (hockey)
10. NBA
11. MLS
12. Midwest League (Baseball)

*- the popularity of hockey lowers significantly as you go South of the city of Fort Wayne. As Fort Wayne is within the very Southern edge of the "hockey belt".

Last edited by Interpol76; 12-31-2009 at 01:55 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,036 times
I was born and went to college in San Francisco. By itself (independent of the rest of the Bay Area), SF varies as an MLB or NFL town.

It leans towards a baseball town, with heritage dating back to the Seals of the old PCL, the DiMaggio Bros. and Lefy O'Doul. 20-30 years ago, you might not think that. From the 70s, 80s or early-to-mid 90s, it was transformed into a football town when the 49ers had their dynasty. The Giants at Candlestick Park were not much of a draw back than, nearly moving to Toronto and Tampa Bay.

When the Giants got their new ballpark downtown, it sort of reinforced the idea of SF as a baseball town. Coincidentally, the team started winning more consistently. Meanwhile, the 49ers threaten relocation down to Santa Clara and the team has reeled as a contender. So the leverage has shifted. Where I went to college (SF State), it wasn't really a sports school, but the most popular sporting event on campus was to take the Muni to AT&T for a Giants game in September or the Spring (or October if they are lucky).

Basketball loyalty is to the Warriors and hockey to the Sharks. But not as passionately.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,079,663 times
Charlotte, NC

1) the Carolina Panthers
2) UNC college Basketball
3) Duke Basketball
4) Nascar
5) UNC college Football
6) Charlotte Bobcats

1-NFL
2-College Hoops
3-Nascar
4-College football
5-NBA

No MLB here, if the AAA White Sox played in Charlotte instead of SC they would be much more popular.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
1.) Oregon Ducks Football (Rose Bowl bound, baby!)

The level of popularity for the Ducks far surpasses that of any college or pro team in any place I have ever lived or visited, and that is quite a few places. I think it is safe to say that about 1 in every 4 households in Eugene and its surrounding areas has Duck paraphenalia on their car and/or property. Their home games are that of a pro atmosphere, and their fans definitely know how to tailgate!

As far as media coverage goes, aside from Ducks football, we always get Seahawk, Raiders, 49'ers, and Chargers games, in that order. Trailblazer games are hit and miss.
Where in Oregon do you live? I have a lot of family in the Portland area. Portland is more of a college town, its the capital of Oregon culture, so the Civil War between OU and OSU is where all the loyalties are. The Blazers are popular too, but more tradition is associated with the college teams.

My uncle, who lives in SE Portland, is not a basketball fan at all, but a diehard baseball fan. He likes their minor league team (the Padres' AAA), but the Mariners are really his team. Its got a strong MLB following, but its M's Pacific Northwest territory, so handling a big league team wouldn't be that easy. If MLB ever expanded, they need more teams in the South other than just the Braves. Baseball is too distant from the South.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,968,393 times
Default Great Post!

Right now as it stands in the 215 here are my picks.

1. Phillies

2. Eagles

3. Flyers

4. Sixers

5. Big 5 Basketball (Temple, St. Joes, Drexel, Nova and Lasalle)

Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,839,755 times
By popularity I'd say...

Leafs (NHL)
Jays (MLB)
Raptors (NBA)

Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 AM

353 posts, read 998,267 times
Nashville...

Titans
Predators
Vols
Vanderbilt
Sounds

then in no particular order
Kentucky
Alabama
MTSU
Auburn

Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,306,664 times
That's good to see the Preds so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports