Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times

Advertisements

Charlotte, North Carolina:

1. Basketball- This state's basketball roots run deep. Grant Hill, Bob McAdoo, Tim Duncan, David Thompson, Dean Smith, Coach K, Jimmy V, Cornbred Maxwell, Stephen Curry, Michael Jordan, and many others hail from and/or played/coached basketball in this state. The Charlotte Hornets were for a time the attendance leader in the NBA.

2. Football- The Panthers have had a great following since their 1995 beginning. College Football is big here as well even though the 5 FBS in state schools haven't had the success other nearby schools have had.

3. NASCAR- Big in Charlotte and rural areas. Not so much in other places. The Coca-Cola 600 brings in a lot of tourists. NASCAR hall of fame is here.

4. Hockey- Has grown a lot here over the past ten years thanks to a number of transplants and the Hurricanes in Raleigh winning a recent Cup. The Checkers are the NY Rangers ECHL "brother team", and have been a part of Charlotte since the 1950's. Even some local High Schools have started hockey teams.

4. Baseball- Been a part of Charlotte for a long time but not as popular with the natives as Basketball or Football. Most natives who do follow it tend to root for the Braves, a small portion are Oriole fans. Otherwise I see a lot of Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc. fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
Anybody in Baltimore can comment on where the Terps are at.

I know that historically it was the O's but now they are close second to the Ravens.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and Montreal Canadiens (NHL)*
Ottawa 67's (major junior hockey)
Toronto Blue Jays (MLB)
Toronto Raptors (NBA)

*tied for second, with the Leafs popular in the anglo west end and the Habs more popular in the east end of Ottawa where there are more French speakers

Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Gatineau, Québec, Canada (where I live, right next to Ottawa)

Montreal Canadiens (NHL) - 70% of NHL support
Ottawa Senators (NHL) - 30% of NHL support
Gatineau Olympiques (major junior hockey)
Montreal Alouettes (CFL)

Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Montréal, Québec, Canada

Montreal Canadiens (NHL)
(HUMONGOUS DROP-OFF)
Montreal Alouettes (CFL)
L'Impact de Montréal (soccer - USL/USSF)

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
Chicago IL---

Football--DA Bears, with a healthy dose of Packer fans (maybe 8-12% of NE IL)
Basketball--DA Bulls
Hockey--DA Hawks
Baseball--Cubs are a clear #1, but the Sox have a decent following. I'd guess about 65-35 in favor of the Cubs.

I live in Charlotte now, but grew up and spent most of my adult life in the Chicagoland area, so I am more qualified to speak on that region. Canes answered for CLT better than I could have.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

@at censusdata

I read that statewide the Cards only got like 16% fan support while UK is like 60%
It varies a lot by what part of the state you're in. Generally it's 3 to 1 UK in the rural parts of Southern & Western KY, with a lot of people liking both and having a slight liking more to one or the other. Metro Louisville is 3 to 1 U of L. Very few Cards fans in Eastern KY, mainly in some of the coal towns with large African American populations - you could probably get shot in EKY for wearing anything U of L . Urban Northern KY (metro Cincy) seems to be 4 to 1 UK, rural NKY is all Cats.

^ That's based on car plates and shirts & hats, nothing scientific.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Actually merchendise and posters along with media press are just as good barometers IMHO.

Sounds like a great rivalry. The commonwealth cup in Virginia is pretty boring cause my UVA hoos suck, I don't think they have a big casual base.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Actually merchendise and posters along with media press are just as good barometers IMHO.
The problem with going by merchandise sales is that some teams are very popular on a regional/ national level so total sales may come largely from out of state. There are probably as many UK Wildcat fans in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Florida, etc as in Kentucky. UK may have 15X more fans nationwide but only 3X more in Kentucky than U of L does

Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The problem with going by merchandise sales is that some teams are very popular on a regional/ national level so total sales may come largely from out of state. There are probably as many UK Wildcat fans in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Florida, etc as in Kentucky. UK may have 15X more fans nationwide but only 3X more in Kentucky than U of L does
Man that's one hell of a bandwagon.

Well what I guess I meant was this.

I think a good barometer is how frequent you see merchandise for your team in state. In my case I live in the DC Metro or Northern Virginia. Not college football area (more bball) cause of the redskins but scince the Hokies have gotten hot you can find their merchandise and bumper stickers on cars easier than UVA gear because of that program's recent ineptitude in games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports