Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have seen Tiger Woods quite a few times and appreciate his ability with the golf ball but really dislike him as a human being. He seems so arrogant with the public. You would think that he could sign a few autographs and wave back to a few fans. He basically ignores his playing partners, the fans, and the other caddies. People will yell, Tiger, Tiger!! but he acts like they are not there. This is during practice rounds. Cant he remember why he is at the tournament? Loosen up Tiger!
Tiger isn't arrogant with the public. You have to realize he was raised to fake-it-until-you-make-it... at least when it comes to public interviews and appearances. And you know what... it works. He never expresses self doubt in public ... and indeed that has helped make him the golfer he is today. Now you combine with trained concentration on the golf course which results in him completely focusing on his game and you have a winner... literally. Is he a Lee Traveno or Arnold Palmer on the golf course?... no... he styled himself (at least his mental game) after Jack Nickolaus who everyone said the same about personality-wise.

I would bet that off the golf course, and when not talking about himself (his golf game), he's probably a typical guy and fun to be with. Will most people ever see this side of Tiger? - nope... definitely not. But his family and friends will.

Critics of his style on the course don't have their head on straight... I've been to enough golf tournaments recently to realize that what you've observed is now copied by all (or at least 98%) of the touring PGA pros these days. Tournaments aren't like they used to be... the players are very serious the entire time and do not so much as smile most of any round. Do I miss the good old days of players laughing and joking with their fans?! Heck yes. But in the good old days, players weren't playing for as much money, playing as well, and nor were video cameras and camera phones potentially everywhere so that players had to put on an act 24/7 like they do whenever in public today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
I have seen Tiger Woods quite a few times and appreciate his ability with the golf ball but really dislike him as a human being. He seems so arrogant with the public. You would think that he could sign a few autographs and wave back to a few fans. He basically ignores his playing partners, the fans, and the other caddies. People will yell, Tiger, Tiger!! but he acts like they are not there. This is during practice rounds. Cant he remember why he is at the tournament? Loosen up Tiger!
Practice rounds are for that -- practice. It is during practice that you perfect your game for tournament time. It is to be taken just as seriously as tournament play itself.

My grandmother had no problem whatsoever getting an autograph and brief face time from Tiger -- AFTER play had ended and he could give concentrating on the game a rest.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM

308 posts, read 711,521 times
Quote:

I met Tiger Woods at a bar in Scottsdale, AZ in 1997.

He was off "work" then and acted the same way. Arrogant jerk.

I was friends with a Golf Pro who is a General Manager of a golf course and we hung out with Tiger.

He was disrespectful to fans and acted very arrogant. I had hoped he had grown up and learned to appreciate his fans. Maybe not?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:05 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,014 times
I saw him again today and nothing has changed. He looked mean and angry. He ignored all his fans and played poorly.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Whereas if only he had glad-handed it with his fans all day, he certainly would have shot 5 under.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM

59 posts, read 227,832 times
I sort of agree with Padgett2. The very few times I've shot under par on a golf course I remember I had literally shut out anything and everything around me except the ball, my clubs, the hole.

Know any friends that are "only child" personalities? I do. Most of them are similar to Tiger in personality. The world revolves around them and nobody else.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:55 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,055,403 times
Tiger said that he doesn't want his kids playing soccer because it's not "physical" enough!! The dude plays freaking Golf, are you kidding me? I dare him to come out and play with my over 30 Rec team and see if he can walk off the field afterwards. What a joker!

Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Tiger said that he doesn't want his kids playing soccer because it's not "physical" enough!! The dude plays freaking Golf, are you kidding me? I dare him to come out and play with my over 30 Rec team and see if he can walk off the field afterwards. What a joker!
After playing soccer from when I was about 10 yrs old to 22 yrs old, and playing golf for over 20 years since I was 15, golf is a much more challenging and mental game than soccer. It's just you and your game. There are no teammates to lean on or pass to. I would put golf as a much better game for young kids to learn than soccer. The mental concentration and discipline needed to play golf is great for kids, and nowhere near the silliness that seems to prevail in today's soccer leagues for young kids.

This whole deal about Tiger not being cheery enough during games I think is funny personally. How often do you see basketball, football, hockey, or baseball players interacting with fans DURING THE GAME, or during warm up just prior to the game. Pro athletes brains, including Tiger's, work at a much higher tempo than the rest of us poor shlubs. He's the best golfer in the world, yet he doesn't do drugs, doesn't party at the bars, hasn't been arrested, doesn't do steroids, doesn't beat up his wife, hasn't gotten into fist-fights with other players on the field, and (other than his Nike endorsements) he has to work for his winnings each and every time he goes out on the course (unlike most athletes on multi-million dollar player's contracts who get paid if they just show up). For all this, Tiger gets heat because he's concentrating solely on maintaining his #1 status.

And then he takes his winnings and opens up clinics to help inner-city kids learn how to play golf. And he is hosting (put it together himself) the AT&T National this weekend in D.C. and pledges all the proceeds to the troops, and has already given out 30,000 free tickets to anyone in the active or retired military who wanted to go to the event this weekend.

He was not very cordial today because he was not playing his best game. I don't know very many people who play lousy and are happy about it, especially golf.

That's my take of watching Tiger over the past 10 years.

Last edited by magellan; 07-07-2007 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 08:52 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,055,403 times
I understand what you're saying about golf, I am not disbuting that. I'm just talking about the two games from a physical standpoint. You play golf in kakis and a polo shirt, ride around in a cart, how can that be more physical than soccer. Golf is very challenging, I get that but it's not more physical. Like I said, I challenge Tiger or anyone else who thinks Golf is a more physical game to come out and play ONE game with my over 30 rec team and we'll see.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I understand what you're saying about golf, I am not disbuting that. I'm just talking about the two games from a physical standpoint. You play golf in kakis and a polo shirt, ride around in a cart, how can that be more physical than soccer. Golf is very challenging, I get that but it's not more physical. Like I said, I challenge Tiger or anyone else who thinks Golf is a more physical game to come out and play ONE game with my over 30 rec team and we'll see.
You're right, most golfers probably wouldn't have the endurance (although Tiger is pretty ripped and they all walk 18 holes without a cart in the PGA). I'd actually bet most pro football or baseball players could not endure 30 minutes straight of soccer, but that's another topic for another day.

Anyway, I think Tiger gets a bad shake too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports