Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:17 PM

110 posts, read 270,938 times

Advertisements

If I left any out, please tell me. Or if you disagree with one of the cities posted below, please tell me.

NFL
1. Los Angeles, CA- I know this is eventually going to happen. LA has too big of a metro area to be ignored for long by the NFL.

2. Oklahoma City, OK- OKC has a population of more than 1.2 million in the metro area. Plus, college football is BIG in OK, so putting an NFL team is just obvious. Also look at the success of the OKC Thunder (in terms of support).

3. Omaha, NE- Just like Oklahomans, Nebraskans love their football. More than 1 million people call the Greater Omaha area home, and it would draw support from Lincoln and all over the state, and Iowa.

NBA
1. Louisville, KY- Kentucky LOVES basketball, they absolutely go NUTS during NCAA March Madness! UK has won the most games of any team in Division 1, if I remember correctly. It just seems like a perfect place for the NBA to expand and/or relocate.

2. Kansas City, MO- I, for some reason, think of KC as a basketball town with no basketball team. People all over Missouri and Kansas would loyally support a KC team, being that Mizzou and KU/K-State basketball is avidly followed. People in KS support the Chiefs and Royals for the simple fact that 45% of the KC Metro is in Kansas.

3. Virginia Beach/Norfolk (Hampton Roads), VA- I actually have no idea why I picked Hampton Roads, it just seems like a good fit.

MLB

1. Wichita, KS- Even though Wichita has a metro area of just 600K, baseball is probably the 2nd most popular sport in Kansas, after basketball of course. WSU's Shockers had success in baseball, and are avidly followed throughout the state. The team would draw support from all over Kansas (except in the KC area- that would still be Royals turf!).

2. Charlotte, NC- As from what I'ver heard, Charlotte really wants an MLB team. It would draw crowds from both of the Carolinas.

3. Albuquerque, NM- Also have no idea why I picked this city, just seems like a good fit IMO.

I didn't put anything about NHL, because (being from Kansas) I have not the slightest clue about hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Sorry about putting this in the KS forum by accident, I'll move it to the General U.S. forum ASAP.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
If Seattle can lose an NBA team (with a metro of 4M) i don't see how Louisville won't. Besides STL deserves one more than Louisville does.

NFL-wise: What about Toronto? Metro of 8 million and we LOVE our football. The Bills play 2-3 games a year here.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:13 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times
Canada has their own football league!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
If Seattle can lose an NBA team (with a metro of 4M) i don't see how Louisville won't. Besides STL deserves one more than Louisville does.

NFL-wise: What about Toronto? Metro of 8 million and we LOVE our football. The Bills play 2-3 games a year here.
They've actually thought about moving the Bills to Toronto several times, but I have no idea why they won't. IMO, Buffalo doesn't deserve an NFL team. It would definetly be interesting, and since you guys have been able to support the Raptors, Blue Jays, and the Maple Leafs, I don't see why you couldn't support an NFL team.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
I agree with your Omaha pick. I been there many many times and those folks are crazy about their football. It should be easy money for the NFL

Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post

Isn't Canadian football kind of different from NFL though?

Old 04-10-2010, 05:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post

MLB

1. Wichita, KS- Even though Wichita has a metro area of just 600K, baseball is probably the 2nd most popular sport in Kansas, after basketball of course. WSU's Shockers had success in baseball, and are avidly followed throughout the state. The team would draw support from all over Kansas (except in the KC area- that would still be Royals turf!).
I can think of at least 10 other cities that should get an MLB team before Wichita.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I can think of at least 10 other cities that should get an MLB team before Wichita.
Tell me some cities then. I'm open to whatever you throw at me.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,416 times
okc isnt big enough to support nba and nfl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports