Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Garden City, KS
110 posts, read 271,370 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You're basing this on what? The MLS is growing extremely fast and has been gaining ground on all the sports leagues over the past few years. With the new CBA and several European stars poised to make moves to the MLS in the next few seasons, it is only a matter of time.

Chances are, you know very little to nothing about the MLS and are just making a statement based on how you think things are rather than actual knowledge about the MLS.
Lol, because hardly anyone likes soccer in the US. Pretty much the only people that like soccer are Hispanics, and they don't care about MLs, since they go for teams in Mexico's league or for national teams of other countries. I guarentee it won't be nearly as popular as NBA, NFL, or MLB within the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,765 posts, read 11,007,857 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
Lol, because hardly anyone likes soccer in the US. Pretty much the only people that like soccer are Hispanics, and they don't care about MLs, since they go for teams in Mexico's league or for national teams of other countries. I guarentee it won't be nearly as popular as NBA, NFL, or MLB within the next few years.
LOL! How naive are you? Wow, it is no longer 1950. It is the year 2010 and soccer is plenty popular. People may not like soccer in the middle of Kansas but soccer is far more popular than you believe. You just dont know anything about the subject so you dont realize it. Why dont you just admit it.

I personally know dozens of soccer fans here in KC. We also have a large hispanic fanbase with the Wizards. I was at a bar the other night watching soccer with a couple of hundred soccer fans from a small part of Kansas City alone. It was just announced yesterday that the most popular sports team in the world would be coming to Kansas City July 25th, Manchester United. Do you think they would be brought here if they didnt expect tens of thousands of people to come?

The MLS is the fastest growing league in the history of professional sports in the US. The Sports Business Journal just announced the other day that the MLS is the only league in the country to experience double digit growth in merchandise sales over the last year.

Do you think people would be paying 50 million dollars to add a franchise to the MLS if no one in the US liked soccer?

You have proven you know little to nothing about the sports landscape in this country.

You think no one likes soccer, an NBA team would be viable in Wichita, what other delusions would you like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Garden City, KS
110 posts, read 271,370 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
LOL! How naive are you? Wow, it is no longer 1950. It is the year 2010 and soccer is plenty popular. People may not like soccer in the middle of Kansas but soccer is far more popular than you believe. You just dont know anything about the subject so you dont realize it. Why dont you just admit it.

I personally know dozens of soccer fans here in KC. We also have a large hispanic fanbase with the Wizards. I was at a bar the other night watching soccer with a couple of hundred soccer fans from a small part of Kansas City alone. It was just announced yesterday that the most popular sports team in the world would be coming to Kansas City July 25th, Manchester United. Do you think they would be brought here if they didnt expect tens of thousands of people to come?

The MLS is the fastest growing league in the history of professional sports in the US. The Sports Business Journal just announced the other day that the MLS is the only league in the country to experience double digit growth in merchandise sales over the last year.

Do you think people would be paying 50 million dollars to add a franchise to the MLS if no one in the US liked soccer?

You have proven you know little to nothing about the sports landscape in this country.

You think no one likes soccer, an NBA team would be viable in Wichita, what other delusions would you like to share?
Haha, people don't like soccer in the middle of Kansas? I'm from Garden City. There's a huge Hispanic population, and 75% of them love soccer.
When asked about the MLS, they will most likely respond, "nobody cares about that!". Everybody here loves the Chivas or whatever the hell they are. They could care less about the KC Wizards, or any MLS team for that matter.

Anyway, soccer won't pass basketball, in Kansas at least. Huge college fanbase, a respectable NBA following population, and to a lesser extent, mostly in small towns, high school basketball fans.

I have proven I know nothing about the sports landscape? Yeah, sure, whatever you say. I'm just saying that MLS will probably not be more popular than NBA in the near future. Oh, it will probably pass it.... in 15 years.

Anyway, if you don't live in the state, then you can't really speak for its people. I know for a fact people could support an NBA team because support would come from all over the state, not just the Wichita metro area. College sports wouldn't interfere with it as bad as people tend to believe. The NBA won't give Wichita a team because they think, "oh, it's Kansas, too small of a population, they could not possibly support of team." Why not just try? Everyone on this forum are misleaded about Kansas.

You don't know me, so you can't really make assumptions about who I am.

Have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,765 posts, read 11,007,857 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
Haha, people don't like soccer in the middle of Kansas? I'm from Garden City. There's a huge Hispanic population, and 75% of them love soccer.
When asked about the MLS, they will most likely respond, "nobody cares about that!". Everybody here loves the Chivas or whatever the hell they are. They could care less about the KC Wizards, or any MLS team for that matter.
So, you are basing your perception on the popularity of MLS on what a few hispanics in Garden City, KS say?

Chivas actually have a team in MLS that plays in LA.

All MLS teams have a huge hispanic following including the Wizards; however, with the exception of Chivas most teams core following is middle and upper class Caucasians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
Anyway, soccer won't pass basketball, in Kansas at least. Huge college fanbase, a respectable NBA following population, and to a lesser extent, mostly in small towns, high school basketball fans.
I never said it would in Kansas specifically.



Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
Anyway, if you don't live in the state, then you can't really speak for its people. I know for a fact people could support an NBA team because support would come from all over the state, not just the Wichita metro area. College sports wouldn't interfere with it as bad as people tend to believe. The NBA won't give Wichita a team because they think, "oh, it's Kansas, too small of a population, they could not possibly support of team." Why not just try? Everyone on this forum are misleaded about Kansas.
I live in KCMO about 5 minutes from the border of Kansas. I work in Kansas and my wife is from Emporia. I know as much about Kansas and it's people as any Kansan. Not to mention that I have lived in Kansas as well.

The NBA wont give Wichita a team because sports leagues do not grant franchises to cities. They grant franchises to qualified ownership groups that operate a franchise within a city.

Wichita does not have an owner, they do not have a proper venue, they do not have the TV market, and they would not pull in the sponsorship dollars possible.

They wont get a team because no multi-millionaire is stupid enough to start a team that is doomed for failure. Cities a lot larger than Wichita have failed.

You are delusional if you think Wichita would support an NBA team to the level that is required. I know lots of Kansas resident basketball fans including people that live in Wichita. None of them care for the NBA because they are smart enough to know that that league is complete trash.

College basketball would interfere with it plenty. I am a huge KU fan and know plenty of others. I do not know one that support the NBA. KU is the basketball team of Kansas and with K-State poised to have a great program for the next several years, that damages it even more.

If you want an NBA team in Wichita, you need to find someone worth a few hundred million willing to take the risk.

Good luck.

Also, I can make assumptions about you based on what you have said on here. Thinking you know anything about the popularity of the MLS based on conversations with a handful of hispanics in Garden City, KS tells me plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
3,390 posts, read 4,955,110 times
Reputation: 2049
Soccer (of ANY type) will never surpass the big four of the NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL. It may be the fastest growing right now because it's a very tiny market compared to those (i.e. room to grow).

The only way soccer will ever surpass any of the big four in the US is when we're eventually overrun by people from South of the Border.

NFL
College Football
College Basketball
NBA/MLB
NHL
College Baseball
Golf
Wrestling
Curling
Dog grooming shows
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
soccer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,765 posts, read 11,007,857 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Soccer (of ANY type) will never surpass the big four of the NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL. It may be the fastest growing right now because it's a very tiny market compared to those (i.e. room to grow).

The only way soccer will ever surpass any of the big four in the US is when we're eventually overrun by people from South of the Border.

NFL
College Football
College Basketball
NBA/MLB
NHL
College Baseball
Golf
Wrestling
Curling
Dog grooming shows
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
soccer

Wow. You really could not have made a more ignorant post if you tried.

Do you have any sources to proof your what you think is true?

About every single article posted in the Business Sports Journal about MLS would say otherwise and they are considered the most reliable source when it comes to the business of sports in the US.

The MLS has already about surpassed NHL. The NBA is next. I dont think it will ever surpass MLB or NFL and honestly, I dont want it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Garden City, KS
110 posts, read 271,370 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Wow. You really could not have made a more ignorant post if you tried.

Do you have any sources to proof your what you think is true?

About every single article posted in the Business Sports Journal about MLS would say otherwise and they are considered the most reliable source when it comes to the business of sports in the US.

The MLS has already about surpassed NHL. The NBA is next. I dont think it will ever surpass MLB or NFL and honestly, I dont want it too.
It won't pass the NBA, I guarentee that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
2,367 posts, read 7,661,864 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Wow. You really could not have made a more ignorant post if you tried.

Do you have any sources to proof your what you think is true?

About every single article posted in the Business Sports Journal about MLS would say otherwise and they are considered the most reliable source when it comes to the business of sports in the US.

The MLS has already about surpassed NHL. The NBA is next. I dont think it will ever surpass MLB or NFL and honestly, I dont want it too.
Last I checked for Pro Sports teams in the United States I hear alot more about NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL teams than any MLS teams. On ESPN they barely even mention soceer(spelling lol). Im not saying that its not a popular sport, but I can never see it surpassing the NBA, NFL, or MLB. And idk, when did it pass the NHL, i find that very hard to believe... Thats not even factoring in College Basketball and Football, which are also very popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,765 posts, read 11,007,857 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
It won't pass the NBA, I guarentee that.

What reasons do you have to guarantee that? Do you really even know anything about the MLS and it's success and growth? If you are going to make guarantees, at least educate yourself on the subject and not just use your preconcieved notions that have no real basis other than what you think is going to happen.

Sports Business Journal is a trade journal that covers the business of sports in the US. It is considered the top and more reliable resource about the sports in this country. The journal does nothing to praise the MLS. In fact, they have given the MLS, sports league of the year a few times in the past decade.

Just last week, they published merchandise sales figures and guess which league experienced the most growth in sales? MLS.

Just because you dont want the MLS to succeed does not mean it will. A successful showing by the US in the World Cup will boost the sport tremendously, it probably wont happen this year but in 2014, the US is poised to have a great team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,765 posts, read 11,007,857 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Last I checked for Pro Sports teams in the United States I hear alot more about NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL teams than any MLS teams. On ESPN they barely even mention soceer(spelling lol). Im not saying that its not a popular sport, but I can never see it surpassing the NBA, NFL, or MLB. And idk, when did it pass the NHL, i find that very hard to believe... Thats not even factoring in College Basketball and Football, which are also very popular.

ESPN shows a ton of soccer games. It doesnt get much attention on SportsCenter because surveys show that many soccer fans dont watch it. SC is a joke anyway and a terrible way to get sports news.

But, ESPN has contracts with MLS, UEFA Champions League, English Premier League, the US National Team, La Liga, and Serie A. They have been bidding to get several more. On top of that, ESPN has been considering adding ESPN3 which will be primarily soccer and some rugby.

I dont see it passing the NFL and MLB. They are ingrained into the American culture. Honestly, I dont want it too. Those leagues have many problems due to their size.

It will pass the NBA, it is only a matter of time. I know a lot of people ditching the NBA as fans and if the European leagues get more competitive, they will start poaching players. Those owners over there have a ton of money to spend and some NBA players are starting to listen. When that happens, the NBA is in trouble. Not to mention, a good amount of basketball fans are college basketball fans and not NBA fans. Myself included. Most all of my friends are sports fans but none of them pay attention to the NBA.

The MLS and NHL are probably about on the same page. The big thing the NHL has over MLS is their playoffs which are awesome and hard to top. But, attendance are just about even, the MLS has more TV contracts and sponsorship is about even. However, many NHL teams are struggling to stay on their feet while most, if not all, the MLS teams are stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top