Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM

110 posts, read 270,911 times

Advertisements

NBA is just as popular as MLB, so if MLS does pass NBA, it'll pass MLB. I agree with the whole hockey thing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
The problem is that Kansas City,Missouri is too close and I don't think Kansas can support a professional team unless it was basketball. There is a strong basketball following because of the college ranks so that would be something to build off of, any other sport franchise I think would fail.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,237,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It will pass the NBA, it is only a matter of time. I know a lot of people ditching the NBA as fans and if the European leagues get more competitive, they will start poaching players. Those owners over there have a ton of money to spend and some NBA players are starting to listen. When that happens, the NBA is in trouble. Not to mention, a good amount of basketball fans are college basketball fans and not NBA fans. Myself included. Most all of my friends are sports fans but none of them pay attention to the NBA.

The MLS and NHL are probably about on the same page. The big thing the NHL has over MLS is their playoffs which are awesome and hard to top. But, attendance are just about even, the MLS has more TV contracts and sponsorship is about even. However, many NHL teams are struggling to stay on their feet while most, if not all, the MLS teams are stable.
The NBA will always be more popular than professional soccer in the U.S. If the European basketball leagues strengthen, that will mean the NBA will get better too because that will mean even more good international players will be playing basketball.

The best thing that could happen to the NBA is if some good, white, American players actually believe they can play in the NBA (which some of them can) and become star level players; ultimately in turn that will make NBA marketing more race-neutral and broaden the league's appeal back to what it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

Maybe it's just me, but the NBA has started becoming more appealing again the last couple of years after going through a down period for most of the 2000s. I think the large number of good teams and better competitive balance is a big factor. Of course, the NBA still overemphasizes individual players for better or worse.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
NBA is just as popular as MLB, so if MLS does pass NBA, it'll pass MLB. I agree with the whole hockey thing though.

I hope this post is some kind of joke NBA = MLB. Wow.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:50 PM

110 posts, read 270,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I hope this post is some kind of joke NBA = MLB. Wow.
It looks like you just want the NBA to fail, don't you? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people don't. We have plenty of KU fans here in Southwest Kansas too, but they follow the NBA also. Like it or not, NBA is the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) most popular sporting league in the US.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,069 times
I think most educated people realize that Kansas piggybacks on KCMO.

If the state had a major league team than probably 1 in 5 people STATEWIDE would have to show up on a regular basis to support it. They don't need a Major League team when you have the KCMO market, KU basketball and KSU football.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
It looks like you just want the NBA to fail, don't you? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people don't. We have plenty of KU fans here in Southwest Kansas too, but they follow the NBA also. Like it or not, NBA is the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) most popular sporting league in the US.

I dont want the NBA to fail. I am completely indifferent to the NBA.

However, thinking that the NBA is anywhere close to as big as the MLB is flippin' crazy. Major League Baseball is WAY BIGGER than the NBA. It isnt even close.

There is not a single category that the NBA beats MLB on. TV contracts, sponsorships, revenue, and anything else.

The MLB is Home Depot and the NBA is Ace Hardware.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 805 times
Smile Kansas City needs a American Hockey League team

Kansas City needs a AHL team called the Kansas City Cowboys
The can play at the Kemper Arena where they used to have the Kansas City Scouts play at until the moved to Colorado.

(Please like my page on facebook for this team, thanks )

Kansas City needs another team

Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhky View Post
Kansas City needs a AHL team called the Kansas City Cowboys
The can play at the Kemper Arena where they used to have the Kansas City Scouts play at until the moved to Colorado.

(Please like my page on facebook for this team, thanks )

Kansas City needs another team

We already have a minor league hockey team. Kemper Arena is getting ready to be turned into something else other than an arena. The city is sick of managing it.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:04 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the NBA has started becoming more appealing again the last couple of years after going through a down period for most of the 2000s. I think the large number of good teams and better competitive balance is a big factor. Of course, the NBA still overemphasizes individual players for better or worse.
Yeah, I completely agree the NBA went through a down era after Jordan retired, and it's only started to get back up to a decent level of interest for me again in the last 2-3 years. It also helps that the Bulls are FINALLY at last, a competitive NBA team once again(thanks to Derrick Rose, and the hiring of coach Tom Thibadeaux(sorry I'm not 100% positive how to spell his last name)).

As for Wichita, it'll probably be tough for them to attract any pro sports franchises, due to the fact Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and KC are way bigger media markets(in both radio and TV) than Wichita. Sports franchise owners probably almost always would look at those cities first, before they would consider Wichita. Plus, probably the big sports leagues usually think(at least the president and the top level execs) they have Kansas covered, by having a team in the KC area. I would think that Wichita could at least support a triple AAA minor league team, and if they didn't already have at least a triple AAA team, I'd be shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports