Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 38,408 times

Advertisements

New to road biking and just wondering what the common goals are for cyclists. Also any races or milestones that would give me cred as a cyclists would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 10:23 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,387,552 times
I bike ride "on road" many times a week. Most of my cycling is transportation related, not "racing" or "milestone" related. Not really trying to prove anything to anyone, just enjoy pedaling to work and back, and riding around the area all year round. I pedal on average about 5,000 miles a year.

Common goals in cycling? Don't really know if those exist, it's different pedal strokes for different folks. The common ones I can think of are:
1. Safety - obey rules of the road, and don't assume the auto drivers are going to give you a special brake. Be super careful at intersections. I use a rear view mirror on my glasses that is literally a life saver. "Racers" don't think it's cool but I like it.
2. Comfort - comfort trumps all else except safety. Get handlebars up as high as seat height, higher if possible. Get a good seat that is wide enough to support the "sit bones" on your rear end. Women need a seat that is even wider than used by men. Don't for those ultra soft cushion seats, get one that is firm and supportive. Don't wear cotton shorts or undies cause those will soak up sweat and you'll not be comfy on a long ride.
3. Have fun - go for rides in places that are pleasant to ride in. Scenery helps a lot, light traffic helps too. Don't ride when it's way to hot to be outside, that's no fun and you can get heat stroke.
4. Don't worry about speed or time. Think more about completing a ride and feeling good afterwards, not exhausted or wiped out. There's no fun in that. Build up distance and endurance slowly, it takes many months.

Here's a link on tips for happy cycling from my fav online bike store:
Tips for Happy Riding | Rivendell Bicycles (broken link)

Here's a link to Sheldon Brown, one of the best known web gurus of cycling knowledge and information:

Harris Cyclery Articles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports