Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

I do not like to watch soccer as there is really little action.

Now, the Major Indoor Soccer League was extremely exciting and when it was in existence, I would watch it on a weekly basis. What I like about the game is that there were always a tons of action and numerous shots on goal and around the goal with all of the rebounds off the board.

Also, a rough deviant of soccer - team handball, is also a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I do not like to watch soccer as there is really little action.

Now, the Major Indoor Soccer League was extremely exciting and when it was in existence, I would watch it on a weekly basis. What I like about the game is that there were always a tons of action and numerous shots on goal and around the goal with all of the rebounds off the board.

Also, a rough deviant of soccer - team handball, is also a blast.
When you say little action, do you mean little scoring? Because action there is ton....45 minutes straight of action...now scoring is a different thing. Still there is plenty of scoring in some of the best leagues out there like Premier, Liga and Bundes....

Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
I only read through the first 30+ responses so forgive me if I am repeating anything anyone said.

I don't like soccer because...

1) Extremely low scores: I'll admit basketball loses something with me because of its extreme high scoring but at least there is scoring.

2) Games ending in a tie: WTF? There is no overtime? This makes no sense whatsoever. The whole reason for playing a game is to determine who is the better team (at least on that day). I can't think of any other sport that allows games to end in a tie. Just ridiculous.

3) The sissy outfits: Okay this is a weak reason, I'll concede, but c'mon. The knee-socks, the jerseys, no cap or headgear. Soccer players actually makes baseball players look manly!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:24 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Well, I don't think the sport is as well-suited for television as some American sports. The field is enormous, and some of the panoramic shots don't allow you to capture much of the activity on field in fine detail. Lampard may pull off an incredible move, but it can be tough to appreciate its beauty until the replay is shown. That's just one theory I have, and I know that for me personally, it makes the game very boring to watch on television.

I think it is much easier to enjoy watching a sport when you understand the rules, but let's face it, some of the most die-hard fans have never played any sport at the organized level. So, when it comes down to it, most people enjoy sports for their raw entertainment value. Even if you've never played basketball, it's easy to admire Vince Carter literally leaping over a 7' center's head to throw down a dunk. Soccer is much more subtle than that, so the intricately skillful plays that make true soccer fans go crazy don't quite register with the typical American spectator. On the other hand, it is always very obvious and enjoyable when Mike Tyson knocks someone out or Ray Lewis leaves a Quarterback on the ground crying in the fetal position. You don't need to know anything about boxing or football to get excited about that.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I only read through the first 30+ responses so forgive me if I am repeating anything anyone said.

I don't like soccer because...

1) Extremely low scores: I'll admit basketball loses something with me because of its extreme high scoring but at least there is scoring.
It can be more to a game than points and scoring.

Quote:
2) Games ending in a tie: WTF? There is no overtime? This makes no sense whatsoever. The whole reason for playing a game is to determine who is the better team (at least on that day). I can't think of any other sport that allows games to end in a tie. Just ridiculous.
You are not very familiar with soccer. The game cannot end with a tie in World Cup stage 2.

Quote:
3) The sissy outfits: Okay this is a weak reason, I'll concede, but c'mon. The knee-socks, the jerseys, no cap or headgear. Soccer players actually makes baseball players look manly!
Sissy outfits? Rugby players use a similar outfit. That is a very though and aggressive sport. I think the real sissies are American football players with all their protective gear.

Why should soccer players wear a cap or headgear? Are basketball players using a cap?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Again, I think the "good" things are more obvious in other sports. Soccer is a game of many subtleties, and the most obvious "good" thing in the sport, scoring goals, rarely ever happens. Compare these two highlight reels.

YouTube - D-Wade Highlights

This is impressive.

YouTube - cristiano ronaldo

Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It can be more to a game than points and scoring.

You are not very familiar with soccer. The game cannot end with a tie in World Cup stage 2.

Sissy outfits? Rugby players use a similar outfit. That is a very though and aggressive sport. I think the real sissies are American football players with all their protective gear.

Why should soccer players wear a cap or headgear? Are basketball players using a cap?
Uhm...no. Actually the whole point of playing a game is to score and win.

Of course because I don't like soccer I am not familiar with it.
Why would one become familiar with something they don't fancy?
Probably why I just learned this year that games can end in a tie. I don't care what stage it is at, it is still just plain ridiculous to end a contest, any contest ever, in a tie.

I conceded my third reason was a weak one, did I not? Perhaps rugby players have similar outfits. I don't know. All I am saying is grown men don't wear knee-hi socks and shorts.

Look, the OP asked for reasons why we don't like soccer and I gave mine. I happen to love ice hockey. You probably don't and that is perfectly fine. You have your reasons and I wouldn't try to dissuade you.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Uhm...no. Actually the whole point of playing a game is to score and win.

Of course because I don't like soccer I am not familiar with it.
Why would one become familiar with something they don't fancy?
Probably why I just learned this year that games can end in a tie. I don't care what stage it is at, it is still just plain ridiculous to end a contest, any contest ever, in a tie.

I conceded my third reason was a weak one, did I not? Perhaps rugby players have similar outfits. I don't know. All I am saying is grown men don't wear knee-hi socks and shorts.

Look, the OP asked for reasons why we don't like soccer and I gave mine. I happen to love ice hockey. You probably don't and that is perfectly fine. You have your reasons and I wouldn't try to dissuade you.
Do not be so sensitive . This is a discussion forum .

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Baseball is the most boring sport hands down!! If you think soccer is boring, you would be snoring at baseball games. Talk about slow! If you hate soccer, than you should hate baseball too. Otherwise, i don't know how one would say soccer is boring, but think baseball is exciting.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Baseball is an incredibly exciting game, far more so than soccer. You can get a pitchers duel and be into every pitch that is thrown and see the strategy there or you can get into a nice slug fest. I have seen both, I have seen bench clearing brawls, I have seen games from many different stadiums that all have character.

Soccer reminds me of the NHL right now. the NHL has a bad product. Gone are the days of the Gordie Howe hat trick and games where players scored. Two things got fans out of their seats to stand and cheer, goals and fights. We watch sports to be entertained, plain and simple.

Soccer is the only game where you put it on the DVR to watch them NOT SCORE faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports