Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal. I'm looking for a bar. Not just an ordinary bar, mind you but an official "oh pharts" bar.

It has to be dark. I don't like bars that look like a barbershop. The darker the better. Pitch black is the best. The kind of bar where you have to stop just inside the door and let your eyes adjust before you can see anything. Black naugahyde booths, black linoleum. Dark.

No/minimal televisons. Not interested in watching television in a bar. I want to talk to people, listen to music, sing along. Have meaningful discussions (discussions while drinking are always meaningful). So please forget sports bars. Dark and no/minimal tv.

Older customers. People over 40 preferably. Maybe even over 50 with a few senior citizens thrown in. Old guys who wear blue polyester "sansabelt" pants loafers. Old people with intersting stories to tell about life. People who are not politically correct and tell jokes that prove it.

Juke box. With good songs. Maybe some Sinatra, certainly some Diana Krall or Michael Buble. At least one Kenny G or Michael Bolton Song. No Waylon Jennings or Johhny Cash. Maybe an AC/DC for the old head bangers in the audience. Soundrack to "Saturday Night Fever" BeeGees, that kind of thing.

Someone mentioned the "Red Headed Step Child Lounge" and also one up off of Glenstone behind a convenience store - Charlie's Lounge maybe?

Anybody have any recommendations?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
One that comes to mind is Harlow's on S. Kimbrough at Harrison St. just south of downtown. Near the MSU campus, but definitely not a college bar. More of a neighborhood bar. I lived just down the street from there in the 90s. Good food, cozy atmosphere, occasional live music and a friendly crowd. And it is darker. I never remember hearing any Waylon or Cash, but Steely Dan comes to mind of what I remember hearing.

When I've had a chance to get back in that neck of the woods, I've stopped in for lunch and the place hasn't changed a bit.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
One that comes to mind is Harlow's on S. Kimbrough at Harrison St. just south of downtown. Near the MSU campus, but definitely not a college bar. More of a neighborhood bar. I lived just down the street from there in the 90s. Good food, cozy atmosphere, occasional live music and a friendly crowd. And it is darker. I never remember hearing any Waylon or Cash, but Steely Dan comes to mind of what I remember hearing.

When I've had a chance to get back in that neck of the woods, I've stopped in for lunch and the place hasn't changed a bit.
Hey, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 PM

28 posts, read 70,749 times
Parlor 88 or Three 20s

Old 07-16-2010, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,713 times
Hi 20yrsinbranson,
Have I got a bar for you. While the Stepchild Lounge is a great bar you might try the Silverleaf Taproom off of Republic Rd. I spent many afternoons in that place when I should have been working. It's small, dark, and if you go there more than once everyone will remember you and what you drink. The jukebox is old but has great tunes and they have one pool table. I hope you find this place the perfect dive.
Ashley

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-17-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 03:16 PM

Sounds like my kind of place. thanks.

20yrsinBranson

[quote=ashriseman;15068450]Hi 20yrsinbranson,
Have I got a bar for you. While the Stepchild Lounge is a great bar you might try the Silverleaf Taproom off of Republic Rd. I spent many afternoons in that place when I should have been working. It's small, dark, and if you go there more than once everyone will remember you and what you drink. The jukebox is old but has great tunes and they have one pool table. I hope you find this place the perfect dive.
Ashley

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-17-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 PM

158 posts, read 376,343 times
20yrs - thanks for posting this - think I'll visit some of the suggested places too! FYI, Silverleaf isn't that dark but they are friendly there. Also, there is a place called (I think) Archie's Lounge very near the corner of Glenstone and Grand ... back off the street a bit, behind the convenience store on the NE corner. 70s, 80s cover bands, friendly people, lights not too bright...

Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfTheOzarks View Post
20yrs - thanks for posting this - think I'll visit some of the suggested places too! FYI, Silverleaf isn't that dark but they are friendly there. Also, there is a place called (I think) Archie's Lounge very near the corner of Glenstone and Grand ... back off the street a bit, behind the convenience store on the NE corner. 70s, 80s cover bands, friendly people, lights not too bright...
Seems to me I have been to Archies many years ago and yeah, liked it a lot. I will have to check that out as well. Sounds good thanks all around.

20ysrinBranson

Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 PM

158 posts, read 376,343 times
Let's see ... made a few stops last Saturday night to some of the suggested places and here are the results of my unofficial "dark places" survey...
Stepchild Lounge - packed to the gills, very loud and not all that dark. Younger crowd, lots of kids in "groups".
Archies - live pop/rock/blues band called Trash Angels (not bad), not too dark but darker than most, less than half full which was nice because not very smoky.
Parlor 88 on east Sunshine - no vehicles in the lot (except mine) under $40,000. Everyone was there to see or be seen. There's a time and place for that kind of club but it's definitely not what this discussion is about.
Rum Runner's Bar (I think that's the name, on East Division) dark, bad karaoke, cheap brews, friendly service staff, perpetually smiling (slightly intoxicated) young lady on the dance floor, what's not to like?
Road House Saloon - ok I didn't actually make here last Saturday but the last time I was there the waitresses wore leather chaps and ummm, not very much else. The live music was so-so but they had a big crowd of fun, friendly people. (no this is not a topless club, they just have a unique dress code for the girls)
Still looking for that elusive "dark bar" though ... (now I'm looking too!) anyone else have any more suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area