Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually, we'un are just tryin' to hold our grip on local culture and our surroundings.
Sweetheart, outlanders dont even have a clue that there are any traditions and culture in the Ozarks, they seem to think its Hee-Haw, Beverly Hillbillies, and washed-up country singers.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Maybe because drive time is 2 to 3 times as long and airfare is cost prohibitive. I have been to MN and WI before and enjoyed my visits. I hope to visit both again, but for cost and convenience, we like to stay close to home.

And we don't spend a lot of time on the lakes in the Ozarks. We have lakes here. Reservoirs actually, but our boat floats on them just fine. Just about every lake has a party cove and you can find us there many a Sat afternoon, or pulling our tube, or just hanging out in our slip at the dock. I don't need to drive halfway across the neighboring state (or the continent) dragging our boat to do that!

Are you from New Hampshire then? Don't they have some threads over on their forum you can ROFL?
Have you actually been to a northwoods lake? I am talking northern MN and WI and some in northern New England. Lakes will always be superior to reservoirs in my opinion. Waterfront property on lakes is therefore set at a preimum price compared to reservoir front. I just read a story last week about a dam failing in Iowa and destroying lots of property. That type of situation would not be common at all for lakes. I would wager most Missourians would take lakes over reservoirs if they had a pick. I also MUCH PREFER the natural wooded scenery up north to the Ozarks as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:58 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Have you actually been to a northwoods lake? I am talking northern MN and WI and some in northern New England. Lakes will always be superior to reservoirs in my opinion. Waterfront property on lakes is therefore set at a premium price compared to reservoir front. I just read a story last week about a dam failing in Iowa and destroying lots of property. That type of situation would not be common at all for lakes. I would wager most Missourians would take lakes over reservoirs if they had a pick. I also MUCH PREFER the natural wooded scenery up north to the Ozarks as well.
That's great for you. I'm glad you enjoy your vacation spot! I might prefer it too, but I'm not interested in the prohibitive cost and significant time investment in traveling there. Sometimes good things can be found close to home. I don't know what Missourians would prefer. I know their lakes and waterways are popular to folks from all over the country who enjoy boating, kayaking, and trout fishing, so they can't compare as unfavorably as you might think.

Though what this has to do with Nelly, I do wonder myself.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Sweetheart, outlanders dont even have a clue that there are any traditions and culture in the Ozarks, they seem to think its Hee-Haw, Beverly Hillbillies, and washed-up country singers.

Actually the Beverly Hillbillies was inspired by the Branson area. Creator Paul Henning was from there. Some episodes of the show were filmed at Silver Dollar City. That show probably did more to boost tourism in the area than anything else! If you'd like to see the Beverly Hillbillies truck, it's at the Ralph Foster Museum.

I wonder if Nelly will go see it?

Last edited by SmalltownKSgirl; 08-04-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Actually the Beverly Hillbillies was inspired by the Branson area. Creator Paul Henning was from there. Some episodes of the show were filmed at Silver Dollar City. That show probably did more to boost tourism in the area than anything else! If you'd like to see the Beverly Hillbillies truck, it's at the Ralph Foster Museum.
Sweetheart, thank you for the info, but where do you think I'm from?
True Ozark culture has nothing to do with all that stuff, and its there, music, literature, food, etc, its not in Branson, trust me.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
True Ozark culture has nothing to do with all that stuff, and its there, music, literature, food, etc, its not in Branson, trust me.

Honey Bunches, you are welcome for the info, but I thought you were a girl from KShe95!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
You know we met a lot of nice people in Branson! They were all there on vacation from somewhere else.
We like money from somewhere else, too.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Plus, I thought GraniteStater might be interested, being from New Hampshire & all!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
We like money from somewhere else, too.

You like money from Nelly fans too? No matter how low they wear their pants? Just trying to stay on topic!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Have you actually been to a northwoods lake? I am talking northern MN and WI and some in northern New England. Lakes will always be superior to reservoirs in my opinion. Waterfront property on lakes is therefore set at a preimum price compared to reservoir front. I just read a story last week about a dam failing in Iowa and destroying lots of property. That type of situation would not be common at all for lakes. I would wager most Missourians would take lakes over reservoirs if they had a pick. I also MUCH PREFER the natural wooded scenery up north to the Ozarks as well.
Thank you for continuing to try to keep the Minnesotans, the Wisconsinites and the New England Yankees from moving to Missouri. I approve of your campaign, and I hope people will listen to you.

Don't move to southern Missouri, folks; the lakefront property up north is a much better investment, as GraniteStater points out so clearly.

GraniteStater, I don't know how much the Northern chambers of commerce pay you to come into the Missouri Forum all the time and spew this stuff about how crappy Missouri lakes (reservoirs), streams and forests are, but if you keep one, just one, Califoreigner, Floridiot, Unwashingone or other such liberal from moving to southern Missouri, you are worth every cent.

Of course, we don't mind if they come to visit us and drop a lot of money while they're here. We just want them to remember to leave. We love the green of their money and the red of their taillights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area