Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But they can sure raise beef, pork and poultry. Who need more? What are ya, some Califoreigner type vegan or sumpin?

But I'll give you this. We can't raise such large and numerous mosquitos as you do in MN and we don't call our mud puddles lakes like y'all do there.

Now you just stay put!
As someone with hydrologic knowledge, a reservoir "can fail" leaving a giant mud puddle behind. That is why lakefront property is much more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
The Creator gave us streams but no lakes, so Union Electric built Bagnall Dam and made Lake of the Ozarks and the Corps of Engineers made the rest.

You dadgum Northerners should quit bragging about what the Creator did for you. It's unseemly to brag about grace.

We Ozarkers are thankful the Lord gave people the brains to build dams to give us power and good man-made fishing lakes.

Now shut the heck up and brag about something you've actually done up north that's worth a crap.
Ah, but reservoirs are also prone to failure during flood and extreme precipitation events. You don't have those kind of extreme issues with lakes...

Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,551,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ah, but reservoirs are also prone to failure during flood and extreme precipitation events. You don't have those kind of extreme issues with lakes...
Well, thank you for this information. I hope all the out-of-staters who want to move to Missouri have read the posts of Granite Stater and marmac regarding lakes vs. reservoirs. All we have are reservoirs in Missouri, and they are dangerous, folks. They are just as dangerous as tornadoes, so just say no to Missouri. You don't want to live where there are tornadoes, extreme weather and reservoirs, so don't come to Missouri. If you want to leave the uptopian paradise of California, go to Minnesota or New Hampshire where you can sleep peacefully knowing a reservoir is not going to attack you.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,125,587 times
I'm going to qualify my comment by saying I lived in Rogersville, Ash Grove or near Joplin for over 25-years; I lived on or near a large lakes that were natural or manmade or a large river for nearly 70 years, and I lived in Chicago.

If it wasn't for the dams in Missouri, Tennessee and Oklahoma there woule be no electricity in Rural America. In extreme rainy weather rivers can rise or run backwards and Lakes flood.

Dams can be mismanaged, and if they are flooding can happen. Heavy, pounding rains that last for several hours can cause massage shoreline and structural damage; I've seen it. I also lived in Chicago when it flooded and it took more than four hours to drive from Navy Pier to Berwyn. These are not ordinary events.
I've also been in tornadoes in Springfield and Joplin. Again these are not ordinary events. When weather conditions collide in the Heavens abnormal events can happen on Earth. If you are affraid on tornadoes don't live in the Plains where tornadoes form nor near a major highway like I-44. If you don't like floods you want to live 4-5 miles away from a major water source and at 40 -50 feet above flood level.

Southwest Missouri - in the area around 1-44 - seems to be part of a Tornado Alley as*storms tend to follow 1-44 to the OK/MO border when the storm generally splits. It will follow 1-71 into Joplin or US 60 to Neosho and into Springield. Then there is the rare toranado like the one that nearly flattened Pierce City a few years ago.

Nature is what it is. I can think of a dozen areas in MO that are safe and beautiful that do not bear the brunt of abnormal weather patterns. If you have questions you can DM me.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM

536 posts, read 1,532,276 times
I'm from Texas and the only actual native lake that is not made made is the Caddo Lake! Every other lake you see has been man made. Seriously.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,846,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I'm from Texas and the only actual native lake that is not made made is the Caddo Lake! Every other lake you see has been man made. Seriously.
You DO realize that Caddo Lake is NOT in Missouri, right?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 PM

536 posts, read 1,532,276 times
I know. The guy was talking about man made lakes so I thought I'd put in what I do know.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 PM

914 posts, read 2,190,583 times
Since we have wandered so far afield, I may as well observe that Missouri DOES have several naturally occurring lakes. So far as I know, they are all ox bow lakes - lakes created by a change in the location of a river bed. Given our propensity for stating the obvious, it is not surprising that the largest of these is named - wait for it ---- Big Lake. It is in, uh, Big Lake State Park in Holt county.

These are not lakes on the scale of, say, Lake of the Ozarks, or even Lake Springfield. Big Lake is less than 700 acres.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,846,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I know. The guy was talking about man made lakes so I thought I'd put in what I do know.
Ok, I was just checking!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 AM

15,972 posts, read 9,339,962 times
So are there jobs at these dams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area