Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,765 times

Advertisements

Yes, my husband works for Expedia.

The company has laid off hundreds of people at their Dallas office and my husband was given the choice of either moving to Springfield or losing his job. As I haven't been able to snag a full time teaching position since I graduated two years ago, the "choice" was clear.

As I said, we are trying to make the most of this situation--leaving all of our friends and family-- and we are going to make a new start in Springfield.

I'm very relieved to hear such nice things about Springfield. I'm sure that we'll be happy there for the next several years. Thank you very much for all of the information--anything else that you can think of would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM

914 posts, read 2,205,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandamar View Post
Yes, my husband works for Expedia... my husband was given the choice of either moving to Springfield or losing his job.
That being the case, you have several options for housing. Willard is slap-dash right up against the airport to the north. It is a bedroom community for Springfield, yet has a strong identity of its own with a well regarded school system, churches, parks, etc. To the west is, well, farmland. There are plenty of properties for sale or rent on small acreages and several small subdivisions just to the west of the airport proper. While west and northwest Springfield are not as sought-after for housing as is the south, southwest, and southeast, there are some very nice neighborhoods with properties attractively priced. Or you can join the loft scene downtown Springfield; its not that far. Maybe you want to try a truly rural community: Bolivar, Pleasant Hope, Ash Grove, Walnut Grove, Morrisville, Halltown. Don't overlook northern Greene County, north of I-44. The areas stretching from Fantastic Caverns across to Fellows Lake are lovely, although rentals may be scarce.

All the above, plus Springfield, of course, and others, have school systems. You might get your foot in the door by substituting.

Final thought: This area has one strength above all others: The Great Outdoors! Sailing, scuba diving, bicycling, mountain bicycling, hiking, fishing, sailing, camping, caving, parks, bird watching, softball leagues, dirt bikes, boating, running, hunting, rock climbing... what am I leaving out?

Good luck with your move.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,761 times
Default Enjoy the change.

Well, first welcome to the area. Lot's of "ex-Texans" here...and the weather isn't all that different. While you will hear the horror stories of the ice storms..they are actually not a standard re-occuring event. The "big one" was three + years ago and impacted the north side of Springfield not the south so much. I've been here three years and have only seen 2-3 "ice events" which amounted to about 1/4 inch that was gone the next day....or that afternoon. Dallas actually has a similiar tornado risk to Springfield...if you've never seen one, welcome to the club...most people never do, however, that is not to say that one couldn't touch down. I've lived in MO twice...outside St. Louis and now south of Springfield...and have never seen one either. My dad lived in the area 30 years and never even went to a shelter. Don't let it freak you out....just be aware when a sever weather is in the area and take shelter when needed.

I have an AWD and find it mostly makes me feel better from time to time..however, for the most part, most people do fine with two wheel drive.
A few days here and there have poor driving conditions.

Traffic? Compared to where your from there is no traffic....except on Glenstone, Battlefield, and Campbell at Christmas. I'm from the SF Bay Area and Las Vegas...after the previous...traffic here seems pretty tame. People do drive slower though. My nephew, from Dallas, complains about the slowpokes when he is out here visiting. He has only commented on the slowness...not on the traffic.

Anyway...take care, relax and enjoy the change. People here are friendly if your friendly, polite if your polite, and can be real if your the same.
I have found some good friends out here and hope to find more. It's a good family area with GREAT outdoor activities.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM

99 posts, read 231,617 times
There are worse places to live but without the income to live where the "trashy element" can't afford to live can place you in the midst of self-centered, noisy, muffler hating, LOUD uncivil riff-raff.

Just a fact of life.

Ample non-courtesy among too many residents in the sub-middle class and working-poor parts of town.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
Mandamar,
I just moved to Springfield two months ago. I am also a teacher. I love the area. Traffic is not bad. I agree with the other posts if you want close to the airport Willard would be good. Springfield schools are also great. It took me about 3 months to get my MO teaching certificate after I applied. You need to contact the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to start the process. Springfield Public Schools (SPS) is a great place to work. The adminstration office is on St. Louis St. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area