Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,867 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got transferred to Springfield, MO. I am very, very nervous about the move. Where in Springfield would you suggest living? We are going to rent until we sell our current home. Are there any new/upscale/luxury apartment or town-home communities? What communities in Springfield or nearby Springfield would you recommend?
How is the shopping/dining? Help!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
I take it you are not familiar with the area, in which case I understand your stress. You have already made one decision which will help you - rent until you sell. Good idea.

We need some context for your questions. It would be helpful to know where you have or are living so we know what you will be comparing us to. "Luxury" means different things in different settings. I am going to suggest a particular apartment complex - The Abbey (TLC Properties - Apartments Springfield Missouri, Affordable Apartments Springfield MO.). Although parts of it must be more than 15 years old, a major new addition was just completed this summer. It looks complete, anyway. It is right in the heart of the major shopping district and, perhaps most important, used to take short term rentals - six months anyway, maybe less. If they still do, you could get located in a very convenient spot from which to evaluate the area and make decisions.

The tenor of your questions makes me think you are going to want to be on the south side of Springfield. There are two bedroom communities which join Springfield to the south - Ozark and Nixa. To the east about 10 miles is Rogersville. All these areas have newer multi-family developments, but how upscale I could not say. All of these areas have enthusiastic proponents.

There is a rather lengthy thread on this forum on restaurants. A complete study would have to include Springfield, Ozark, Nixa, Branson, and points in between. Really fine dining experiences are limited - maybe six or eight locations, none of which aspire to emulate top rated spots in, say, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, etc. There must be dozens of places to go have a nice meal, though - maybe scores.

Shopping is definitely Missouri Provincial. But there is lots of it. There are not many major chain stores without representation either here or in Branson.

If you could formulate your concerns into more specific questions I am sure there are people on this forum who will be glad to help.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Might check 417 Magazine - Springfield, Branson, Joplin and Southwest Missouri's Guide to Restaurants, Shopping and Events also.

The site contains very limited info but if you have some time before your move, they might send you a complimentary copy, if you explain your situation. Never hurts to ask, and we Missourian's are a fairly friendly bunch.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Where are you moving from? Springfield is a very nice small city and has all kinds of residential areas. the SW has some very nice new homes (Campbell & James River Parkway/Scenic area). I lived there for about 25 years. They have nice cultural amenities like The Little Theatre (which is GREAT), a couple of ballet troupes, a city symphony. I still have family there. Hope you enjoy living in Springfield. I suggest, as I do to people moving here to Hawaii, if possible plan a trip of several days to look around, or arrange for temporary accommodations (2 or 3 weeks) to allow plenty of time to see several rentals before you decide.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 9,881 times
I didn't know if this thread was still active, but my ds will be moving to Springfield soon. We're trying to help him find his first apartment. He lived there for awhile when he went to school but was in a dorm. He prefers south Springfield. Several places are with the Wooten company and we've been looking at some of thee ones below.

Village Club
Town & Campus
Oak Terrace
Harvard
Grandview Village
Forest Ccove
Semminole
Park Place
We're looking for a 1 bed/1 bath, ~650 sq ft or more. We want safe area, CLEAN, preferably new paint/flooring, non-smoking, and with a W/D hookup. Utilities paid would be nice but not a necessity. Most pay partial utilities. We're looking in the $400 range maybe a little higher depending on utilities.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
We are also looking to move to Springfield in the next few years. My husband is disabled and needs to use the paratransit service at times. I understand that not all parts of Springfield are connected to the public transit service. We have looked at several apartments online, but can anyone tell me what is or isn't the right part of town to look. This service is very important for him. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM

492 posts, read 631,216 times
It says on this website that they serve the entire city limits of Springfield!

http://www.cityutilities.net/transit/ae-eligibility.pdf[/SIZE]

I hope this helps!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 45,982 times
I'm also moving to Springfield with my mother who's disabled, so we've looked closely at this issue, too. The Springfield Transit page says that "reservations may be made within a defined service area of Springfield, including an area within three-quarters of a mile from any regular City Utilities bus route". So simply find an apartment that's "within three-quarters of a mile from any regular City Utilities bus route" and you should be fine.

You can see the full bus route here on this PDF. As you see, pretty much every part of Springfield is covered! You may also find this Google map of Springfield useful.

Please feel free to keep posting about this! I know how demanding it can be caring for someone who's disabled yet wants to use public transportation. Springfield's paratransit system seems impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area