Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 27,872 times

Advertisements

My husband has thought about transfering to Republic. We have thought about moving to a small town within an half hour from Republic. Nothing is set in stone and we may not even do it. I am just wondering which smaller towns are the best. We currently live in a small town now, VERY small. So we would do better in a smaller town, preferably in the country though. We would prefer not to live in town. But still be close enough to good shopping centers and fun things for the kids to do. We live in Indiana, only one of our children is in school right now, our youngest starts next year.

Last edited by Momof2_0406; 10-07-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM

914 posts, read 2,193,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2_0406 View Post
My husband has thought about transfering to Republic. We have thought about moving to a small town within an half hour from Republic.
Billings? Marionville? Battlefield? There are lots of choices of purely rural areas within a half-hour drive of Republic.

Better definition of terms would be helpful. I live outside a town so small it isn't even incorporated. The nearest incorporated town is 350 people. But just another mile farther, in the opposite direction is a town of 1500. So, just how small a community are you seeking?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 AM

I don't have a specific number in mind. Springfield would be too big but any towns surrounding it would be okay.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,553,575 times
Quote:
We currently live in a small town now, VERY small. So we would do better in a smaller town, preferably in the country though. We would prefer not to live in town. But still be close enough to good shopping centers and fun things for the kids to do. We live in Indiana, only one of our children is in school right now, our youngest starts next year.
Why are you trying to flee small-town Indiana to come to small-town Missouri?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 AM

For the beauty, I have all my life wanted to get out of Indiana. The area that we live in has NOTHING to offer. It is ugly cornfields, no good shopping centers and nothing fun for the kids. Like I said my husband company has a location down there. So we could move elsewhere in Indiana but my husband would need to find another job. Not happening, He could easily relocate to Missouri and we get away from cornfields and nothing.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 AM

694 posts, read 1,350,726 times
Quote:
For the beauty, I have all my life wanted to get out of Indiana. The area that we live in has NOTHING to offer. It is ugly cornfields, no good shopping centers and nothing fun for the kids. Like I said my husband company has a location down there. So we could move elsewhere in Indiana but my husband would need to find another job. Not happening, He could easily relocate to Missouri and we get away from cornfields and nothing.
If Republic would be your work base, I have always been fond of the Galena area. Beautiful hilly countryside, very small, but with easy access to Springfield. And it offers access to Branson thru Galena used primarily by locals only. For shopping you would most likely have to drive to Springfield or Branson, but if you like the quiet life of a small town, Crane is probably a good consideration. Hurley is even smaller, but its a beautiful place as well.

Not much for the kids to do however, but you will find that problem in just about every small town in America. Unless they can get into outdoor activities like sports, camping, hiking, fishing, floating, etc. Generally towns without a 24 hour Wal-Mart, tend to roll up the sidewalks fairly early. I doubt Crane will see one of those for quite some time.

You couldn't pay me to live in any town along Highway 60 from Monett to Springfield. I call that SW Missouri's mini tornado alley. But that is just me and plenty of people have lived along there for years with no problem. Many of them have tornado stories they can tell though.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 AM

A location in or near Nixa would probably leave you with only an occasional need to go into Springfield at all. Lots of young families, lots of things for the kids, probably as highly regarded school system as the area offers.

Willard would be similar, but with a more rural feel, and less of almost everything: activities, shopping, etc.

Brookline is still shown on most maps as a separate community but it recently merged with Republic - it is an area to consider. Keep in mind that city boundaries and school district boundaries are not the same. I believe, subject to correction, that a Republic address near what was formerly Brookline could now find you in Willard, Springfield, or Republic schools.

Clever is not far at all. Going west (but therefore farther from Springfield, and shopping districts) is Billings.

The Crane - Hurley - Galena area is ruggedly beautiful, but the school systems are very small. Of course, this can be good or bad, depending upon what you are seeking. Galena would probably be at or over your 30 minute commute requirement.

Really, you just need to spend some time studying maps, potential routes to work, and drive the area. Two days would be plenty to get a superficial feel for the surrounding area. From there come back here and ask more questions.

Good luck with your move.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 AM

Another question, how is cell phone service in that area? Also which carrier has the best coverage in that area?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Verizon seems to have the most complete coverage in this area.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM

158 posts, read 374,731 times
You should defiinitely look into Halltown. It's a small town, not far from Republic, with lots of charm. Also, don't forget about Google maps. The streetview feature lets you "drive" right through the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area