Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,680 times

Advertisements

I wish I was there already!! Am ready for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 10:04 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Just thought I would bring this up to the top in case some of you ladies missed it (any way we can tie the gals up outside of the house on game day makes us guys very happy ) Public service can be tough at times but I will continue to do my part
You're all heart, Jammer! What a catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Cool. The group in Las Vegas met once a week (the library lent us a room) and they posted the meeting in a local (free) pennysaver type newpaper so it was open to all ladies new(er) to the area. Someone usually brought some sort of inexpensive munchie. The meetings lasted about an hour depending on how many ladies came...mostly a social thing with intro's, suggestions for lunches, etc. Shared information about shopping, doctors, dentists, etc. The stuff you never know the inside scoop on when moving into a new area. We did lunch once a month. It was great fun. Ladies ranged in age from about 25 to 75. ~50-50 split on the married/single end of things.

I'll see what I can do to get this going. I need a co-conspirator though...we travel from time to time for a month at a time. JanetB?

Mrs Chilicook
Well, that sounds like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Transplants R Us - TRU "TRU FRIENDS"
Oh, I LOVE that name, 2b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
OK...doesn't appear too much response to this thread...so should we expand it to include all the little towns around?
I think it's a great idea...any of you who haven't responded...tell me why.
Would a breakfast be better?
Or a cocktail hour?
Or....
Well, I'm glad you asked, Junkie! Hahahaaaa! What a funneee nickname!

I didn't respond before because it was in Branson and it takes about 35 minutes to get just to the edge of Branson from here (NW of Sparta). MrsChili seems like a wonderful person and I hoped others would respond. I should have said something, though. Sorry, MrsChili!

If the meetings aren't buried in the middle of that horrid Branson traffic, I'd love to join. Actually, it would depend when the meetings are, too. I've got several things pending (new job, new writers' group, possible classes to take) that might get in the way...but I guess I don't have to make all of the meetings, huh?

Anyway, I hope this group happens! I think it's a great idea!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,335 times
Any ideas how to "expand" it? I thought "Branson Area" would include all of the little towns around? I'm not sure that this website is well known with locals. I've looked around the internet for locals websites in the area and just can't seem to find anything. That's why I used the city-stats locals forum.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,933 times
Wink Funny Name? Hee hee....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Well, I'm glad you asked, Junkie! Hahahaaaa! What a funneee nickname!

I didn't respond before because it was in Branson and it takes about 35 minutes to get just to the edge of Branson from here (NW of Sparta). MrsChili seems like a wonderful person and I hoped others would respond. I should have said something, though. Sorry, MrsChili!

If the meetings aren't buried in the middle of that horrid Branson traffic, I'd love to join. Actually, it would depend when the meetings are, too. I've got several things pending (new job, new writers' group, possible classes to take) that might get in the way...but I guess I don't have to make all of the meetings, huh?

Anyway, I hope this group happens! I think it's a great idea!
Well, the Landing seems to be a popular place...and if you park at the Bass Pro end, it's not bad getting in and out almost any time.
Those of us who call "Branson" home RARELY get caught in that "horrid" traffic...you just have to avoid the Strip...except in January!

There's also the College of the Ozarks...one more exit south in Hollister...they have wonderful lunches and an expresso bar...

I know it's hard to commit to a time & date each month in advance, I was just hoping to take a poll as to whether AM, lunch or happy hour would work best for the most gals.

ANNNNNNND...you can call me LJ.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Any ideas how to "expand" it? I thought "Branson Area" would include all of the little towns around? I'm not sure that this website is well known with locals. I've looked around the internet for locals websites in the area and just can't seem to find anything. That's why I used the city-stats locals forum.
Hi, MrsChili! You said, "I thought "Branson Area" would include all of the little towns around?" Well, there are a whole lot of towns around Branson but personally, I still see them as less accessible and even further away than Branson. So, it is true for you and Junkie and a bunch of others, I'm sure...but it is also a subjective truth. Maybe what we can do is find out where everyone is and see if there is a central location where the majority can meet...?

I feel the need to say that I would never have suggested that if you hadn't asked. I know you asked but I still kind of feel like I am trying to change your idea and that's not fair or even nice. Nor is it my intention. For all I know, you may decide to post fliers around the area and will have plenty of people to meet in a Branson location. Then again, maybe the others here wouldn't mind the drive so it won't be a problem in any case. I only made mention that I didn't respond in the beginning because it was a little far for me...but maybe it isn't so bad if it's only once a month. Branson's just not on my usual list of places to go.

Whew! Okay, I'm glad I got that off my chest. I really don't want to get in the way and only want to help if I can.

So, any other suggestions, people? I like the idea of fliers and think a good place to post them might be at antique stores. A free website might also help by giving the details so that it doesn't have to be given over the phone each time. Maybe our favorite Junkie could be the phone contact person. Hey! She could get free advertising that way!

Okay, I'm done for now. Gotta go get something to eat and get ready for my dh to return home.

MrsG

Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Lady Newcomers: Lakes Tri-County Area

Not sure if it's Branson Tri-County or Lakes Tri-County or ?? (Suggestions CERTAINLY welcome on this one). But perhaps it might grab more attention?

Not all of the resonses are visible (I'm not sure why on this either) without going to different modes, so I'll address this is general..

I think I'm a wonderful person...mostly.

But I do have a moments of witchy-dom.

Does anyone know of a local forum that is attached to a local newspaper or something rather than thru City-Stats?

Perhaps the new RecPlex has someplace to meet? Or perhaps we can meet twice a month once more south and once more north?

I've also sent a note to a newcomers club up in Springfield to find out how they went about starting a club and if it's open to non-Greene county residents. It sounds like a well structured club already so maybe we can learn from them.

Perhaps we can just meet for lunch to start off sometime the first part of August? Or Dinner, or cocktails, or breakfast. A poll was a good idea.
If you want to attend, give a suggestion as to what time and day of week (or date if you want). Suggestions as to where may uncover something in between for everyone.

Thoughts?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Thumbs up Okayyyy, LJ! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Well, the Landing seems to be a popular place...and if you park at the Bass Pro end, it's not bad getting in and out almost any time.
Those of us who call "Branson" home RARELY get caught in that "horrid" traffic...you just have to avoid the Strip...except in January!

There's also the College of the Ozarks...one more exit south in Hollister...they have wonderful lunches and an expresso bar...

I know it's hard to commit to a time & date each month in advance, I was just hoping to take a poll as to whether AM, lunch or happy hour would work best for the most gals.

ANNNNNNND...you can call me LJ.
I like the idea of the landing, LJ! I can't help on the time thing too much since I'm not sure of my hours, yet. Friday will be my weekday off, I think, so I vote for that. I'm up but not usually ready to get out early so AM might be a problem unless it's late. Lunch is a great time so that's my vote, even if it is a little earlier and technically brunch. It's only once a month so happy hour is good for me, too. Okay, that's enough out o' me! Next!

Gotta run!

MrsG

Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM

Question How about Branson TriLakes area or ...

Or Christian, Taney, Stone County areas....or? I'm open to anything.

Not sure why all of the posts don't show on this thread without changing modes...but I'll try to cover the responses here.

Usually I'm a wonderful person (or at least I think so).
But I have my moments of witchy-dom
Strangely enough I'm normally shy

But I'm willing to overcome my faults in order to meet people and know more about this wonderful area I"ve moved to

So, I'm open to any name, or the expansion of the idea.

Perhaps the new Branson RecPlex would accomodate a monthly meeting and someplace up around Ozark could do something once a month (assuming twice a month would work for everyone who wanted to attend).

To get started, perhaps a lunch/breakfast/dinner/cocktail thing the first week of August? If you respond with your preferred day and time, I'll figure out a couple of ideas to pass on.

Thoughts? Yea, Nay?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,298 times
I am Sorry I do have something to say!! Eeeummm..... Craigslist.com is a free website where you can post a club and libraries are a great way to advertise such get together. Just a suggestion.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:00 PM

Good one, Kareybear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area