Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 PM

354 posts, read 322,409 times

Advertisements

I would love to teach people how to bake. Making bread is not that hard at all and once you get yourself used to it, you can then just throw a bunch of ingredients together to make bread. I so rarely use any recipe at all. In fact, if I make some and it comes out really good then I have to make it again so I can measure stuff out to have some sort of recipe. LOLOLOL

I actually got my sourdough culture back in 1969 NM and have kept it going for all of these years, no matter where I have moved and/or lived. Sourdough takes on the environment of where one lives, meranin if you live in Springfield...then it would be called Springfield Sourdoug, or if you live in Las Cruces...then it would be considered Las Cruces Sourdough. The same goes for San Francisco Sourdough will not tatse the same once you have used the culture a few times in a new area.

Tortillas and Tamales are not that difficult to make at all. The tamales are just time consuming, more than anything. Tamales are more fun to make when you have a bunch of friends or family over and that way it takes a lot less time and it makes it fun. That is how most people down here do iit. Usually Christmas means scads of homemade tamales from everyone and anyone in the area. It is just a wonderful smell, not to mention the fact that so many people have their own recipes for making them. I would not mind teaching people how to make them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,403,251 times
Sadly, my favorite Springfield restaurant closed its doors last month. Anyone who's had the filet at Agrario knows what a great loss this is. On the bright side, the owner tells me that he's going to bring Agrario back in a new location somewhere on the southeast side of Springfield this Fall.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:59 PM

879 posts, read 2,868,102 times
Default Food, glorious food!

To add to Lake Junkie's list you might want to try the new Ruidoso (Brazilian steak house) on Battlefield at Hiway 65. Also the Argentina Steak house is good. For BBQ we like Buckinghams (near BassPro and one in Ozark).
Doe's Eat Place up near Hammond's Field is good...huge portions.

I have to say though, the BEST steak we've found anywhere in Missouri is at the Landing. Sullivan's Steakhouse...a bit pricey but is EXCELLENT (better than any we've eaten at in Las Vegas or San Fransisco).

Trade Joe's....there are 4 of them in the Saint Louis area but none in the immediate area. Try sending them an email via their website suggesting Springfield as a location. I figure one email is worth about 1000 votes..sort of like politics.

There is a Whole Foods, again, in St. Louis (Galleria) and one in Kansas (Overland Park). I don't see them coming in here for a very long time as they tend to follow the $$$$. Perhaps a Wild Oats if the merger goes thru.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:15 PM

879 posts, read 2,868,102 times
Lightbulb Oh be still my heart!

New Mexican Green Chile...you ARE a woman of my heart!

We spend a month every fall in NM (Usually around Santa Fe) to take cooking lessons, eat our fill of Green Chile Stew, and bring home a freezer full of freshly roasted chile's. If we miss Santa Fe, we usually hit Las Cruces around Thanksgiving for Posole and stock up on green chili in Hatch (where they are frozen and ready to take home).

You won't have trouble finding flat-leaf parsley. Since it's used in many ethnic cuisines along with Cilantro it's easy to find out here. The vanilla at Walmart is the standard cheap vanilla you find at the border. Good but high in alcohol content (I prefer vanilla paste myself). I cook alot of Thai, Chinese, and Mexican dishes and haven't found it too hard to find most things. There are a few things (like green chili) that I have to stock up on elsewhere or buy on-line. I hit Trader Joe's in St. Louis for smoke salmon, Greek Yogurt, and a few munchie type items along with $2 Buck Chuck (although it's more than $2 outside of California).

The things I can't find include good fish (sword fish, halibut, salmon, large scallops) at a "relatively" reasonable price. Again...I hit Trader Joes' once in a while as their frozen fish is excellent.

You have GOT to join the Newcomers Club!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:45 PM

I won't be looking for flat-leaf parsley since I will be bringing my own plant.
:-)LOLOLOL

That cheap vanilla at the border is still better than most other vanilla sold in the country, except of course the outrageously expensive stuff. But thatnks for letting me know what kind it is. I wonder what the name brand is? If you ever get a chance, would you mind checking and letting me know? Not a big deal really though. LOLOLOlLL

Thanks for letting me know about all of the stuff you get at Trader Joes.

Yeah, well once one has had green chile then one is addicted it seems. LOLOLOL We love green chiles and I put chopped green chiles in so ma ny different things. I love good homemade posole. We will be starting out with two 35-lbs bags frozen.

Mrschilicook, do you happen to live in the Springfield area? What newcomer's club are you talking about?

Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,360,328 times
Default Sullivan's Steakhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
I have to say though, the BEST steak we've found anywhere in Missouri is at the Landing. Sullivan's Steakhouse...a bit pricey but is EXCELLENT (better than any we've eaten at in Las Vegas or San Fransisco).
Do NOT miss the crab cake appetizer at Sullivan's...OMG. ~sigh~

Old 07-19-2007, 05:01 PM

Question Did somebody say bread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORedneckWoman View Post
I would love to teach people how to bake. Making bread is not that hard at all and once you get yourself used to it, you can then just throw a bunch of ingredients together to make bread. I so rarely use any recipe at all. In fact, if I make some and it comes out really good then I have to make it again so I can measure stuff out to have some sort of recipe. LOLOLOL

I actually got my sourdough culture back in 1969 NM and have kept it going for all of these years, no matter where I have moved and/or lived. Sourdough takes on the environment of where one lives, meranin if you live in Springfield...then it would be called Springfield Sourdoug, or if you live in Las Cruces...then it would be considered Las Cruces Sourdough. The same goes for San Francisco Sourdough will not tatse the same once you have used the culture a few times in a new area.

Tortillas and Tamales are not that difficult to make at all. The tamales are just time consuming, more than anything. Tamales are more fun to make when you have a bunch of friends or family over and that way it takes a lot less time and it makes it fun. That is how most people down here do iit. Usually Christmas means scads of homemade tamales from everyone and anyone in the area. It is just a wonderful smell, not to mention the fact that so many people have their own recipes for making them. I would not mind teaching people how to make them.
Any chance you'll be trying to make a living here? The one thing that is missing, in my humble opinion, is a GREAT bread store. (Please, somebody tell me if something has escaped my notice recently!)

When we moved here there was NO crusty sourdough bread.
We wept tears of gratitude when the St. Louis Bread Co/Panera opened...and that's still the only place I know to get good bread.

I'd love to see someone open something like Great Harvest Bread...you up?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:35 PM

We are both retired. Back during the winter of 2000-2001 I went through cancer treatments and have had a few problems from that treatement so I am on disability. My husband is 72 and retired. I guess you can tell that we will not be trying to make a living. Sorry!!!

You don't have any bakeries in Springfield that make bread? I love artisan style bread and that was my specialty for bread at our bakery.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 PM

Thumbs up Bread...glorious bread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORedneckWoman View Post
We are both retired. Back during the winter of 2000-2001 I went through cancer treatments and have had a few problems from that treatement so I am on disability. My husband is 72 and retired. I guess you can tell that we will not be trying to make a living. Sorry!!!

You don't have any bakeries in Springfield that make bread? I love artisan style bread and that was my specialty for bread at our bakery.
OK...but one of you who DOES want to make a living...get together with MORedneckWoman and let her TEACH you...this is it, folks...hear that? It's opportunity knocking...

Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 PM

I would b e more than happy to teach how to make bread, but be advised that I make all things from scratch, no mixes here. It is fun to make bread, really it is and it makes such a wonderful smell in the house, especially in the winter when you can use the extra heat. LOLOLOL

I would also be willing to teach anyone how to make some of the best cheesecakes and other goodies that you have ever tasted. I have a preference for light and fluffy style cheesecake, so the higher the better as far as I am concerned. To make my type of cheesecakes, the eggs are separated and the whites are whipped and then all folded together and baked. I also have a recipe for making the St. Louis style cheese coofee cake, very gooey. LOLOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area