Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 24,467 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! This is only my 2nd time on here so I hope I am doing this right. We are looking to take a vacation to Branson (maybe) next summer. We have to plan ahead in order to be able to afford it, but anyway, I was just wondering what the MUST DO things are there. Like where to stay, somewhere nice but not extremely expensive, what shows to see, where to eat, that sort of thing. I only know of one thing that is definate and that is the Dixie Stampeed. Is there any amusement parks close by? What about shopping, where is the best place for that? Is there anywhere to go horseback riding, nature trails, things like that? Any help and advice would be great! Thanks to all of you in advance.

BoxadoreMom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 03:02 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Silver Dollar City and White Water amusement parks are in Branson.

Shows are pretty subjective, depending on your taste. Darren Romeo is supposed to be pretty good, and the Showboat Branson Belle provides a broad range of entertainment along with a meal.

The Branson Landing is a fun place to walk around and do some shopping and there is an outlet mall if that's your shopping pleasure.

For the outdoor lover, consider staying at Big Cedar (owned by Bass Pro). They have a wide variety of activities and accommodations.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:35 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default Branson on the cheap....

Lot's of things to do out here that are relatively inexpensive depending on what you like to do.

If your looking for amusement parks, Silver Dollar City/Celebration City are great for families. If you buy the season passes for all three parks, and go just twice to both, you'll have more than saved your money.

Branson Landing is a nice place to walk around, have lunch, and stroll the promanade that runs along the lake. There are two or three outdoor outlet centers (but I find they carry the same ol' thing) if your looking to buy stuff.

In Springfield, BassPro has a wildlife museum, a huge aquarium, and is just plain interesting to stroll around in. If your into baseball a Springfield Cardinals game at Hammond's is a pretty inexpensive evening of entertainment as long as you can control the peanut and hotdog cravings.

There are lots of beaches and marina's around here just to play around. Big Cedar Lodge is a great place to walk around, have lunch, and enjoy the views. Their lodging, however, has gotten to be pretty pricey.

If you can pop for a little $$ you can rent a pontoon boat for about 4 hours and cruise the lake. The area is gorgeous from the water.

If you are into sightseeing, Eureka Springs is about an 50 min. from here
and is an interesting little town of galleries, tourist nicknacks, restaurants, and Victorian homes.

Motels range in price all over the place. You can get into a lower priced chain like Holiday Inn or Quinta or a higher priced chain like the Hilton or Crowne Plaza...tons of 'em. There are also lots of nice little mom & pop motels all over the place and some B&B's. Or you can rent a condo type place. We've rented at Stonebridge (gated golf course development) and they were pretty nice and fairly reasonable.

Shows are all pretty reasonable in our opinion. We're from Las Vegas where you can't see much of ANYTHING for less than $90 nowadays.

Of the "regular" shows that are here all of the time, I would suggest the Branson Belle (showboat), Darren Romeo, The Haygoods, and Shoji (can't remember his last name)..Japanese Fiddler. We are going to Dick Clarks new place next week and I've heard good things about the shows there...they vary as to who is playing when.

Then there is the country-side. This is a great area just for nice drives.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,253 times
Thumbs up Fun in Branson

BoxadoreMom...you're doin it right!

There's really so much to do it's hard to know where to start.
And it depends on your taste!

I love Yakov!...the Chinese Acrobats are amazing...of course Silver Dollar City. Most all the locals like Pierce Arrow...and I saw the Grand Jubilee last summer and was amazed at the talent. It's a kind of a typical Branson variety show with comedy, a quartet, pretty girls, that sort of thing.

And...of course...you MUST do the lake. You can look at it but it isn't as great as getting out on it, getting in it...do rent a pontoon boat...it's easy to drive and you won't be sorry. Don't forget yr camera!

Don't miss the Landing.
Do miss driving down "The Strip" unless you're just a glutton for punishment. Get a copy of the Branson map that shows the alternate routes: Blue, Red and Yellow...they will make your stay much more enjoyable.

Have a great time...we do.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,453 times
we went a few years back .. umm alot of years back......... we purchased a group ticket package thing ...
We went to everything from morning Christian concert that my kids had a fit over ..but ended up enjoying it! to silver dollar city - Dixie stamped is still being talked about in our house!

We had a hotel with breakfast .and there was a "mall" that has a restaurant inside that was very cheap - like $3 a plate and our kids ate free.. but this was some time back.

Silver Dollar City as a coal mine restaurant that was really neat my kids loved it

many web sites ... check it out look for group tickets to things u want to go to .. may find a bargain

Good Luck! - oh call hotels ask if they have discount packages for say your hotel and the tickets ..

Old 07-22-2007, 11:17 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
The Shepherd of the Hills outdoor theatre has a wonderful evening show in an open-air ampitheatre based on the book by Harold Bell Wright. They also used to offer a short horseback ride but I don't know if that is still available. You can get a bird's-eye view of Branson from the S of the H tower. Uncle Ike's trail rides is just outside of town, they have been in business a LONG time. The Ruth and Paul Henning Conservation Area has hiking trails and bird watching stations. The S of the H Trout Hatchery is at the base of the Table Rock Lake dam and has hiking areas and you can explore the hatchery also.
I have heard the new Titanic exhibit is very good although I have't been there yet. Ripley's Believe it or not is interesting, but if you have been to one somewhere else they are pretty much the same. The helicopter tours are fun, but expensive. The Ducks amphibious vehicles are fun for the kids.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 AM

11 posts, read 24,467 times
WOW! Thanks for all the great responses! It all sounds good. Where would you suggest to stay there? Also, does anyone know what the aquarium is called so I can try too find it on the internet? Thanks to everyone!

Old 08-04-2007, 02:14 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,253 times
Talking Soft pillow...with the light on...

Well, even tho I live here I have a few fav's I recommend to my visitors...
you can find them all on my website under "helpful links" if you click on my bio...but my favorite are all...guess what...ON the lake!

Big Cedar...if you've got a big budget. It's adorable, the restaurants good, the service very nice.
-OR-
Less 'spensive...Rock View Resort, just up the road near the State Park Marina and Table Rock Dam...nice folks. Older resort, simple with no phones or internet but clean as a whistle and right on the best part of this lake you can walk down & have yr morning coffee on the dock.

Branson has gazillions of rooms...what kind of space are you wanting?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:31 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default Staying places...

If your staying with kids you may want to rent a condo...we like Stonebridge's "lodges". They are cute 2-4 bedroom lodge style "duplex" style places. Very nice, very clean, relatively cost-effective if you don't want to eat out all of the time.

We've also stayed at The Hilton (on the Landing)...not cheap by any means but very convenient to food, entertainment, etc.

On the other side of the budget, we know someone who stayed at The Branson Family Inn and loved it.

Another good family bet is Still Waters Inn and Condominiums...great prices, stuff for kids to do, and the rooms are pretty spacious. Plus it's on the water with stuff for the kids to do on a hot day.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
If you have kids and want to stay right on the Strip, within walking distance of some attractions, the Grand Country Inn might be a good choice. They have an indoor and outdoor water park which is free for hotel guests. That way if our famous Missouri weather takes a turn for the worse, the kids still have something to do while Mom keeps an eye on them with a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area