Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 07:39 PM

226 posts, read 999,459 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving to Springfield, Mo in the next two years or an area around Springfield.

I was wondering if anyone knows if they have problems with drugs. Iv always heard the midwest is really bad??

Please help answer this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 08:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Default Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
We are looking into moving to Springfield, Mo in the next two years or an area around Springfield.

I was wondering if anyone knows if they have problems with drugs. Iv always heard the midwest is really bad??

Please help answer this question.
I found this information on the DEA website for Missouri:
"Methamphetamine is widely available throughout all parts of the state, particularly in the rural areas. Imported methamphetamine, produced by Hispanic organizations in Mexico or the southwest United States, is brought into the state by Mexican couriers and distributed in St. Louis, Kansas City, and southeast Missouri. The imported methamphetamine has generally been lower in purity than the locally manufactured product. Enforcement groups in St. Louis continue to report the increasing presence of higher-purity crystalline “ice” methamphetamine in the area supplied from large scale laboratories based outside the state. Locally manufactured methamphetamine is available in all areas, especially in southwest Missouri. Most of the laboratories throughout Missouri are small, producing only ounce quantities.Laboratory operators have traditionally purchased precursor chemicals from retail outlets and steal anhydrous ammonia from farm supply stores and farms. In June 2005 Missouri passed legislation making products containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine a schedule 5 substance which can only be sold from pharmacies and places other limits and restrictions on purchases of these products. The effects of Missouri’s stringent controls of legitimate products that can be diverted to manufacture methamphetamine have yet to be fully assessed on these small local laboratories. " The site also gives statistics for the number of meth labs closed from 2001 through 2005:
2001-2173
2002-2759
2003-2886
2004-2807
2005-2170 So the trend is down to 2005. Springfield does have a meth problem, but I believe it's getting better. Missouri has a big problem with meth, as do other areas of the Midwest, but, I don't hear about the issue other than an occasional article in the News Leader. It doesn't come up in conversation much at all. I don't think it would be an issue for anyone who is not interested in drugs.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:15 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Springfield is not immune from the rest of the world. Same type crimes as anywhere. Since Mo adopted the "Oklahoma Plan" lab busts a slowing down as the first reply states. Putting restrictions on how much can be purchased and where have been instrumental on this type crime. As said before; "meth is not a huge topic of conversation in Mo.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
RCL

123 posts, read 680,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
"Methamphetamine is widely available throughout all parts of the state, particularly in the rural areas. Imported methamphetamine, produced by Hispanic organizations in Mexico or the southwest United States, is brought into the state by Mexican couriers and distributed in St. Louis, Kansas City, and southeast Missouri. The imported methamphetamine has generally been lower in purity than the locally manufactured product. Enforcement groups in St. Louis continue to report the increasing presence of higher-purity crystalline “ice” methamphetamine in the area supplied from large scale laboratories based outside the state. Locally manufactured methamphetamine is available in all areas, especially in southwest Missouri. Most of the laboratories throughout Missouri are small, producing only ounce quantities.Laboratory operators have traditionally purchased precursor chemicals from retail outlets and steal anhydrous ammonia from farm supply stores and farms. In June 2005 Missouri passed legislation making products containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine a schedule 5 substance which can only be sold from pharmacies and places other limits and restrictions on purchases of these products. The effects of Missouri’s stringent controls of legitimate products that can be diverted to manufacture methamphetamine have yet to be fully assessed on these small local laboratories. " The site also gives statistics for the number of meth labs closed from 2001 through 2005:
2001-2173
2002-2759
2003-2886
2004-2807
2005-2170 So the trend is down to 2005. Springfield does have a meth problem, but I believe it's getting better. Missouri has a big problem with meth, as do other areas of the Midwest, but, I don't hear about the issue other than an occasional article in the News Leader. It doesn't come up in conversation much at all. I don't think it would be an issue for anyone who is not interested in drugs.
Good post, MoMark.

From what I've heard and read the last couple of years, meth is widely becoming the drug of choice for addicts now because (1) it's made out to be glamourous, (2) it's cheaper than other drugs, and (3) it's more easily accessible (or can be made at home). Because of this, you'll find it virtually everwhere you go now.

It's really sad that kids get exposed to drugs now at school. When I was a kid the worst possible thing you could do was get caught smoking in the bathroom or behind the backstop. I think the best defense (other than lobbying for more law enforcement) is keep talking to your kids about choices they are presented with and staying lovingly interested and involved in their lives.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 31,962 times
meth is a big choice throughout missouri..im a few hundred miles north of springfield in a small town and its here too. though they are constantly busting someone!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:58 AM

226 posts, read 999,459 times
Thanks for all the information. It's very helpfull. We live in Phoenix, AZ and the drugs and crime is SO BAD. We can't wait to leave the big city.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:27 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
2001-2173
2002-2759
2003-2886
2004-2807
PM me the link please

Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
Thanks for all the information. It's very helpfull. We live in Phoenix, AZ and the drugs and crime is SO BAD. We can't wait to leave the big city.
I live in the Fresno area of Calif for now and know what you mean .I also know that no place is going to be fully drug free and coming from were you and I are I do not believe it will effect us as bad as were we now live . Unless we moved around S.L. or K.C.
Fresno every night first 15 to 20 of the news is murders, rapes, drug bust, and gangs

Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Jeepers, tonight on the news in Springfield they're saying a 50 year old school teacher was caught with Methamphetimine in her desk!!! That truly shocks me. They said she'll be fully prosecuted and could get seven years. She should be whipped in the town square publically.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:47 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Jeepers, tonight on the news in Springfield they're saying a 50 year old school teacher was caught with Methamphetimine in her desk!!! That truly shocks me. They said she'll be fully prosecuted and could get seven years. She should be whipped in the town square publically.
She better loose her teacher's license at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area